Low and slow butt for Smoke Day 16

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Happy Smoke Day everyone! I picked up a 8.5 lb. pork shoulder on as a back up for Smoke Day. Our Costco has had plenty of prime briskets the last three times we've been in there so I was prepared to invest $5.49/lb. for a nice fresh one for the big day. Got there an hour or so after opening on Thursday and not a single brisket. Asked the main guy in the meat department and he said a guy had just come in and bought every one they had! So much for limits per customer. So, smoked pork shoulder it is. Decided to go with an injection this time around and mixed up one that sounded good. It called for apple cider, ac vinegar, water, Worcestershire sauce, a small amount of pork rub, maple syrup and some melted butter. Rubbed it down with Stanley's pork rub. I set up the WSM for a low and slow cook. Got the butt on the smoker at 10:00 pm last evening, chugging away nicely at 225 with some chunks of pecan for smoke.

DSC_3392 (Large).JPG

Checked it once around 4:00 am and holding nicely. Pulled the lid at 8:25 am for the first time. Topped of briquettes and water in pan.

DSC_3394 (Large).JPG

At the 16 hour mark. Pulled the lid for second time at 2:14 pm. Didn't really need to, just curious.

DSC_3400 (Large).JPG

I'll check back in a while. We just bumped up to 195 internal. Getting close.

Nice bark! What kind of mat do you have under there?

Hey Bob.... Those are heavy duty smoking racks I got from Malcom Reed a couple of years ago. They are very sturdy and reinforced for heavy weight. They're really handy for butts and briskets. Just lift everything up, place in a cookie sheet and carry into the house. No mess and no disturbing the bark. There was two sizes, 8"x 10" for chickens and the larger one 10"x18" which I am using here. I glanced at his website yesterday and all I see now are the smaller racks.

I was waiting for the finished pics, Cliff, but I can't hold out! :) That butt looks perfect! I haven't done pulled pork in some time, but may have to see if I can find one to squeeze in this weekend. My wife headed to CostCo a bit ago, but I'm not holding out much hope that there will be much in the meat dept.....I am sure it got cleaned out already. :|

Let us know how this turned out in the end!

R

Just a little slow on the uptake Rich. Anyway, here's the last few pictures.

Made a pot of beans earlier in the day.

DSC_3407 (Large).JPG

Done in 20.5 hours.

DSC_3408 (Large).JPG

Shredded nicely.

DSC_3413 (Large).JPG

My plate. Bolillo Rolls, onion and pickled jalapeno on mine. The pork was incredibly moist and had wonderful flavor.

DSC_3416 (Large).JPG

Hope you all had a great Smoke Day. We did, Undoubtedly the most enjoyable thing we've experienced for the past couple of months. Everyone stay safe and enjoy the rest of the weekend. They're talking 104 here next Thursday. Uggg. Thanks for looking.

Yeah, that turned out really nicely, Cliff! I can't believe I just turned on the oven to cook bread......my wife gave me a look! ;)

R

Back