_DSC4119_DxO-2160-XL.jpg

_DSC4130_DxO-2160-XL.jpg

_DSC4120_DxO-3840-XL.jpg

_DSC4121_DxO-2160-XL.jpg

_DSC4125_DxO-3840-XL.jpg

_DSC4129_DxO-3840-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking! All the best,

Jose

Nice looking stir fry. I've been wondering about the Weber Wok for a while, nice to see you like it.

Reason # 5 why I'm going to ditch my PK360 and go back to the kettle someday - lots more ways to cook/have fun on the kettle for sure.

That looks good !

Did you use any kind of sauce ?
Thanks! I sure did. The chicken mas marinated in teriyaki, mirin, soy sauce, lemon juice, pepper and garlic. Once the chicken was browned I poured some of the marinade in, got it to a boil and threw the veggies back in and stirred/tossed.

I also use the Weber wood "paddle spoons" for stirring/tossing. They work great but I think Weber stopped making them and are now collectors items. Link to a pic below:

How is the wok on the Kettle, different from using a wok in the kitchen ?

I'm seriously thinking about buying one of these.

What other uses have you found for it ?

The difference is the smoke/charcoal flavor being added , cant get that in the kitchen unless you set it on fire lol, looks great imo

The difference is the smoke/charcoal flavor being added , cant get that in the kitchen unless you set it on fire lol, looks great imo

Not to be argumentative, but for the short time its on the Kettle, its not gonna take on much smoke., if any at all And unless ya close the lid, there's not a lot of smoke that's going to travel up and over the edge of the wok, and then down into the bowl. But if ya close the lid, the coals are not going to burn as hot as there's less oxygen.

How is the wok on the Kettle, different from using a wok in the kitchen ?

I'm seriously thinking about buying one of these.

What other uses have you found for it ?
Hi,

First, less splatter mess :) . I use to have an authentic hammered Chinese wok I used on the gas stove.

Then, the heat from a well lit nice size charcoal fire (as pictured above) is a LOT hotter than a stove. The Weber cast iron wok, once you get it smoking retains heat forever. This means that I get a TRUE stir fry. I never get "steaming" from the meats or veggies from sudden cooling when the stuff goes on the wok. The thing retains heat so well that I normally cook two whole meals when I fire it up.

I followed Weber instructions and they work. Basically you get a good fire going, place the wok on the grate hole and close the lid for ~10 minutes, all vents open. this gets the cast iron hot. I then open the lid and wait until the fire gets back to really hot coals and add the oil. It's cast iron so a little goes as long way. Once the oil starts smoking it's cook time! Good to have everything ready, "Mise en Place" as the French say, because it all goes really quick!

After trying this Weber wok I gifted my steel wok I used on the stove.... Last, the well cured cast iron is really easy to clean (non-stick).

All the Best,

Jose

Hi,

First, less splatter mess :) . I use to have an authentic hammered Chinese wok I used on the gas stove.

Then, the heat from a well lit nice size charcoal fire (as pictured above) is a LOT hotter than a stove. The Weber cast iron wok, once you get it smoking retains heat forever. This means that I get a TRUE stir fry. I never get "steaming" from the meats or veggies from sudden cooling when the stuff goes on the wok. The thing retains heat so well that I normally cook two whole meals when I fire it up.

I followed Weber instructions and they work. Basically you get a good fire going, place the wok on the grate hole and close the lid for ~10 minutes, all vents open. this gets the cast iron hot. I then open the lid and wait until the fire gets back to really hot coals and add the oil. It's cast iron so a little goes as long way. Once the oil starts smoking it's cook time! Good to have everything ready, "Mise en Place" as the French say, because it all goes really quick!

After trying this Weber wok I gifted my steel wok I used on the stove.... Last, the well cured cast iron is really easy to clean (non-stick).

All the Best,

Jose
And here is a video of wok cooking in a Chinese commercial kitchen. It shows why a gas stove at home wont work well. They are using a gas torch under the wok!

Best,

Jose

I will bet good $ the lid on for a couple of minutes will get plenty of smoke flavor , I get it when frying steak or taters on my Weber using a skillet ymmv , I plan on getting the plate to use it as a griddle , moisture/heat will make smoke stick quickly .

I will bet good $ the lid on for a couple of minutes will get plenty of smoke flavor , I get it when frying steak or taters on my Weber using a skillet ymmv , I plan on getting the plate to use it as a griddle , moisture/heat will make smoke stick quickly .
I agree... Even with the lid open I get a slight smokey flavor when using the wok which is just about the perfect amount for stir fry. And that with charcoal only. I really would not like my stir fry tasting like a smoked pork but! The smoke flavor might come from the warmup process I mentioned above (10 minutes to get the the wok hot with the lid closed) which probably makes the smoke flavor stick to the empty wok.

Well, I disagree. Those thin pieces of meat are gonna cook so fast, they won't have time to take on any smoke. And cooking in a wok, or even on a griddle, is different from directly over coals. Where there's also some flavor from drippings vaporizing on the coals, as they do on a gasser.

Smoke won't penetrate that meat in a couple of minutes. On top of that, any smoke flavor it could possibly get, would get covered with seasoning.

Looked so good I ordered one. How did you set up your fire?
Can you wok me through that cook, I’d like to copy it for my first go round.
thank you!!

Back