Looks like Weber is bringing the Pulse 2000 to the US, but...

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
it only has 1,560 Watts. I guess this is because you can't draw more amps from a US outlet. In Europe the Pulse 2000 is offered with 2200 watts.
Not sure the price of $900 is justified when you can get a Q2400 with the same power for a 1/3 of that price.

I know I posted in the gas forum but there is no electric grill forum. ;-)

Looks like that is to the Q2400 what the Summit is to the Genesis. I just hope the Pulse doesn't have the substantial flaws that the Summit does.

Personally, I think it's awesome!!! I can see apartment dwellers all over that. Way to go Weber. I look forward to seeing some cooks on it, when it's finally available.

Personally, I think it's awesome!!! I can see apartment dwellers all over that. Way to go Weber. I look forward to seeing some cooks on it, when it's finally available.
I agree that the grill is tailored towards apartment tenants which are not allowed to use gas or coal. But with the restricted wattage you can draw from a US outlet you will be limited on heat. That is why I wonder if it will be that useful here in the US. In Germany an outlet provides 230V at 16amps which is about 3680 watts you can draw. Here you have a mere 15A or 20A at 120V.

The vast majority of US household circuits are 15A. You'll occasionally find a specific duty 20A, but plan on no more than 1,800 watts on a circuit.

An air compressor manufacturer got themselves in hot water by advertising a 5hp motor on a 15A 120V circuit and lost a class action lawsuit against them. It's not possible to run a 5hp motor on a 15A 120V circuit.

Still, the argument is not so much how the grill will be used but whether it is worth three times the money over a Q2400 which runs on the same current as the Pulse does. Yes, the pulse is cute and fancy, but at $900, I think it will be about as popular as the Summit is compared to regular Genesis grills.

I was lucky enough to see one of those in Germany. It is definitely a high class machine, but I would agree with those who worry about the reduction of power for US use. Nonetheless, I appreciate Weber’s decision to make it available! I hope someone here gets one and can give an objective assessment.180B0CBD-1E1F-4EAB-B0C7-10A69BB20B05.jpeg

This really makes no sense to me at all, you live in an apartment and your gonna spend $900 for an electric grill? You better be there for a few years or intend to buy a condo where gas is not allowed to ever get the money back and of course the resale on the used market who knows what that would end up looking like. Someone else living in an apt so $400 maybe who knows, a condo owner would probably be a more willing buyer at the $900 price if they know they are staying there for awhile and gas is not allowed.

I was lucky enough to see one of those in Germany. It is definitely a high class machine, but I would agree with those who worry about the reduction of power for US use. Nonetheless, I appreciate Weber’s decision to make it available! I hope someone here gets one and can give an objective assessment.View attachment 21270
I see the hunger in your eyes, Jon...you're trying to figure out how you can include that in your onboard luggage without your wife finding out...;)

(takes one to know one, as they say..:LOL:.)

Ed,
I don't know if you were active when I did that trip, but believe it or not I DID bring back a Weber European stainless steel 22" kettle GBS grate with fold up sides AND an ivory Smokey Joe! I was able to do that with my trip leader and I splitting the parts among our luggage. He is not particularly into grilling buy enjoyed our visit at the Weber store and was an all-out enabler telling me "Sure we can get that back!" The Weber people in Germany were extraordinarily nice and treated me like a mini-celebrity when they found out that I restored and collected Weber grills. They even gave me a silicone ice tray to make kettle shaped ice cubes!

Well played, Jon, well played...it does not surprise me one bit!

Last edited:
I have no experience with the Q2400 but I assume it is very useful for most grilling chores. I will also assume the performance of the Pulse 2000 will be very similar. Good or sub par please inform me.

I agree that the grill is tailored towards apartment tenants which are not allowed to use gas or coal.
We've also got members who live in wildfire-prone areas where they can't grill with live fire for extended periods of time, so an electric grill is the answer. Weber Connect integration is coming to many grills. But $900 seems steep.

Theoretically you can build a dual element electric grill that will use 2×15 amp 120V circuits, or add a 240V outlet if the building code will allow it. For most apartments this will not be practical though. To me it would make more sense to accept the 15 amp limit, and use better insulation that will allow the grill to reach higher temperatures. Weber did use a double wall in the electric Q, probably for that reason.

There is no question that there is a demand for quality electric grills. For reasons that Chris mention out in areas like California and all around the US there are housing units (condos, apartment, etc....) that won't allow open flame grills. This is the market that the Pulse and Q electrics try to fill. So, yes there is a market. No question. The electric source is an issue that has always been there. And Weber seems to have dealt with it in the Q1400 and Q2400 grills. I don't see a reason it wont be dealt with on the Pulse. My only concern is the fact that it is going to be in direct competition with the Q2400. I see a whole lot more Q1400's out there than Q2400's so I am wondering if this won't essentially kill off the bigger Q electric. Or, will the Pulse be something that is a big enough upgrade to make people pay 2.5 to 3x the money for and in the process leave the Q2400 market to those looking for more of a value solution?

I think that you have a good hunch there, Bruce. Although the Pulse looks to be a big step up from either electric Q, the 2400 does now muddy the picture.

Yah, thinking about it a bit more, I really don't think the Pulse will compete much with the Q2400. Just like I don't think the Summit competed real heavily with the Genesis. It will be the wealthy, money to burn, down town people living in a no open flame unit that will opt for the best they can find, money of little concern type that will buy them. They they will probably use them a half dozen times a year and probably cook more Asparagus on them than Ribeyes.
I just hope for Weber's sake that the Pulse doesn't have inherent flaws like the Summits did.

278 sq. in. Weber cant be serious; they did not even bother to adapt the bigger Q 3200 to have a larger cooking area, $900 absolutely not.
Really this is for a vegetarian or someone that cooks 3 oz worth of meat.

Last edited:

Back