Look what I landed this afternoon!

Yeah you should have gotten both-lol, great pick-up!
I really did want them both. Sadly the big freezer is pretty full. A pork shoulder, 2 bone in pork loin roasts. But it just now dawned on me, I cooked that brisket that was in there this past weekend. I may go back there today and see if that rack is still there. If it is, that beauty is also coming home with me!

Great find Larry!

I often have the full freezer problem when I see something I really want too. Even worse when you pass something up and then realize you had room :( Been trying to leave space for super deals on meat lately.
Yep, I’m often in that same boat! The small store down the street does a “Buy 2/Get 3 free!” Thing from time to time so, I’ve got a summers worth of chicken breasts in there and who knows what all else!?

I call it freezer management, I am currently working my way through older items in the big freezer in the garage & moving some items into the kitchen freezer. I would have jumped on both racks of prime grade beef ribs, they don't take up that much space & that is a real good price/lb.

I call it freezer management, I am currently working my way through older items in the big freezer in the garage & moving some items into the kitchen freezer. I would have jumped on both racks of prime grade beef ribs, they don't take up that much space & that is a real good price/lb.
Been doing that for quite some time. Works well if we remember to use the stuff in the kitchen fridge first :)
Speaking of beef ribs, that reminds me that I've got a rib roast our SIL brought over right after Christmas that I've been meaning to steak out. The ribs will be a bonus.

Well, I just got them in about 20 min on Big Z. Right now it's sitting on the Super Smoke setting. Which is basically 160. Since I have until about 1500, before I need to pull and wrap for their nap I think I will let it roll coal at Super Smoke for a few hours, then run it up to 225 or so. Of course all depending on the progress I see in the probes. I have one of the "native" Big Z wired probes in it and also one of my Temp Spike probes. I'll be watching them pretty close. So though I have a perfect AM to get the Kubota and my tow behind sprayer out. I gave the lawn a haircut yesterday, then we had a good rain, I'll be spraying it with some of this https://www.pendeltonturf.com/product-page/18-3-6-50-srn-micronutrients and it should have all day to dry then before kids are here. No dangerous chemicals in this stuff thankfully. It's all just "nutrients".
I'll post back on the ribs.
One thing which surprised me on them. They don't look like short ribs (like the dino ribs you see on BBQ shows), they're more like back ribs. So much so I had to double check the label. Yep, they're "short ribs". Anyway I was ready to take a bite "raw" they look that good. Hit them with a binder, and my 40/60 coarse salt/pepper rub. Nothing more. They were trimmed up and ready to go (save for one little scrap of silver skin) which I trimmed off.
Mouth watering thinking about these beauties!

OK, looking for possible "consensus"...........I've not done these long bone prime short ribs. They're looking and smelling INCREDIBLE. And nothing special in the pellet dept BTW. Just using good ol' Kirkland "blend".
In any case I seem to have hit a "stall". Probing pretty tender and nice, great bark as seen in photo, but as noted seem to have hit a stall with avg probing temps 175 (grill running 220). Thinking I should hold off a little bit on wrap? Taking them more like 195-200 then wrap and rest in Styrofoam cooler.
Thoughts?
1716666552693.jpeg

OK, looking for possible "consensus"...........I've not done these long bone prime short ribs. They're looking and smelling INCREDIBLE. And nothing special in the pellet dept BTW. Just using good ol' Kirkland "blend".
In any case I seem to have hit a "stall". Probing pretty tender and nice, great bark as seen in photo, but as noted seem to have hit a stall with avg probing temps 175 (grill running 220). Thinking I should hold off a little bit on wrap? Taking them more like 195-200 then wrap and rest in Styrofoam cooler.
Thoughts?
View attachment 91690
When should you wrap short ribs?

How To Cook BBQ Beef Short Ribs - Come Grill With Me

Wrap the ribs in foil or butchers paper when the internal temperature reaches 170f-180f (71c-76c). Never cook by time! Remove the ribs when the internal temperature reaches 205f

OK, I can't believe I put them on at 0700 today and still they went too long. They were incredibly deeelish! But, my only major critique of myself. Is I did not have enough cooking time before I had to pull them for an hour rest. So while they were incredibly tender and juicy. GREAT smoke on them too. You will notice quite a lot of fat running through. I really hoped, to have cooked them long enough to render more of that out. As it was they were outstanding anyway. Another 2 hours I think would have been the ticket.

1716683496688.jpeg

Not sure if upping the temp after wrapping would have hurt.
They look really good.
250 or 275 would have cut cook time. But it looks like you nailed it.

Back