Little help...tri-tip

Tim Campbell

TVWBB Guru
Hi everyone. Apologies in advance; this is probably not the right thread.

So I've cooked a lot of beef in my day but never a tri-tip. I've got about a 3 pounder in the fridge. Hit it was Carne Crosta last night for tonight's cook.

I've seen tons of them here. How would you do this? Indirect then direct, the reverse, or just high heat to doneness and zero indirect? Likely using a slow 'n sear. I'll post shots later.

Thank you!

Tim

I smoke until about 120F to 125F IT, then reverse sear until it's done. I smoke at as low a temp as I can. My current smoke wood of choice is pecan, but post oak or cherry are on my list to try.

slicing it correctly is a key thing to do.

I think I've got this described with pictures somewhere.

I wrote this up on another forum for someone asking for first time cooking advice.

context was a cook on the large BGE, but will adapt to anything that can smoke indirect and sear.

~~~~~~~~~~~
There are lots of way to smoke, sear, roast tri tip. Here is my technique, and I keep evolving it.

I smoke until the tri-tip reaches about 120 to 125F internal temp, pull the tri tip and put it into a warm serving dish covered in foil. It doesn't really need to rest, but I wrap it in foil, mostly to just keep it warm while the coals are getting hot.

I get the coals flaming hot, almost like cooking over live fire.

(BGE specific)
I use the drop spider from CGS and a 14 1/2 inch heavy duty grid which gets the cooking surface even closer to the coals.

As far as the actual reverse sear. Once the coals are HOT, I put the TT back on and flip it often. like every 30 to 45 seconds. I don't walk away from the fire once the reverse sear starts.

edit: here's a pic of how hot I have the coals for the reverse sear:

20220507_192144-jpg.50469

Since the TT was already in a serving dish, and already had foil over it, I keep these warm by having a bit of it overhang the egg.

The end-game of searing comes with experience and internal temp of an instant read. When it "feels" close I'll pull it off the coals set it in the serving dish and let it just sit for a minute. Then I temp it with an instant read. 128F to 130F is my target for the thick section. If the thicker section is still wobbly and reading cooler I'll hold the tri tip by the narrow point with tongs and only sear the wider and thicker part.

When its done Ill cover it in foil, bring it in and let it rest a few minutes.

As far as "Done-ness" I've not over cooked a TT since I started reverse searing, but I have under cooked a couple. I like my beef rare, but I've found Tri tip is more tender when on the high side of medium rare.

The last and most important part is carving the TT. If it is cut with the grain it is chewy, so finding the seam, making that the first cut and then cutting across the grain is needed to ensure a tender bite.

how-to-slice-tri-tip-diagram-scaled.jpg

Another way is to sear it over hot coals or live fire first, then finish indirect. I think I've seen @Brett-EDH cooking it that way. Tri tip is a pretty forgiving cut so you can cook it pretty hot.

I've also seen, and have eaten tri-tip cooked like a brisket. It was good, yet not my preference.

I have only done a couple, one I reverse seared the other, Sous Vide and seared on a hibachi. Both were good. I think Dan has posted the “cutting schedule” which is really important to get chewable, pretty, nice slices!

It really turned out well, it is clearer in my memory than the other one but, there were cocktails involved…in BOTH events. I need to do another one. Not tonight, we have gotten three to four inches of snow in the last three hours! Shrimp and grits tonight! Making it up as I go with this one.

Tri tip over live fire. Smoky, meaty, juicy and flavorful. The best way to enjoy a TT IMO.

It’s a roast that cooks like a steak. Must be cooked to at least 125° and then rested, for a medium rare center. The ends will always be more cooked than the middle so you can satisfy many people’s likes for how they want their meat cooked. And it makes an incredible sandwich on a baguette.

I used one white oak split in this cook. Just the perfect amount of smoke and heat.

1677885249260.jpeg

1677885779363.jpeg

1677885908647.jpeg

1677885935879.jpeg

1677885960414.jpeg

1677885980455.jpeg

1677886011791.jpeg

1677886034352.jpeg

1677886060541.jpeg

1677886087787.jpeg

Recipe here: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/236992/santa-maria-grilled-tri-tip-beef/

Back