Limited Edition Weber Original Kettle Premium 22" in RED!! Order by May 12!

No, you're not the only one. We've had posts from people that aren't happy with the color or are not big fans of red or have concerns about the quality. That's OK...

...A few *tiny* imperfections in the finish that most buyers would never notice unless they were pointed out. I'm happy with the two I bought, I'm giving one away as part of our Christmas Prize Drawing, and I hope the winner enjoys it!

Yes, I would be...

Hopefully Weber learns a few things as a result of this venture and is not scared away from trying other limited edition colors in the future. Would love to see a colorful WSM at some point in the future. :D

Now that would be cool, a red bullet.

Another Red vs. Maroon?

I have been following the comments about the Special Edition Red Weber Kettle grill. Looks great in the ad pictures, but some have complained about the color being washed out (among other issues).

Can anyone tell me about the "Crimson" color? Here is a link to BBQ Guys where you can look at it:

https://www.bbqguys.com/weber/original-kettle-premium-22-inch-charcoal-grill-crimson

Is this "red" or this really maroon? I notice that the write-up claims that at least the steel is made in the US whereas the Special Edition red is all Chinese-made. Is the new red worth the fuss compared to this one?

I am interested in everyone's thoughts. Either one looks like a nice alternative to just another black one.

I really, really, wanted to get one of these. But, first, I'm not a collector. Second, if I got something, it would have to be something that I would use on a regular basis.

I do +90% of my cooking on my 26er and don't anticipate taht changing anytime soon. I just bought a 30" x 60" SS table to covert it into "Performer." I've got 22 OTG that's been sitting, untouched, in carport for years. I doubt I will ever use it again. I hoping that one of my SiL's, or maybe even one of my grandsons, will finally be interested in learning The Way.

I bought two WSMs when I was competing, but now that I'm not I'm trying to refurb one (one of my teammates abused them both). I still use it for briskets and cooking butts for charity events. I'll probably end up giving away/tossing the other one.

But I also want to support Weber. Right now, the non-US market has soooooooo much more available. It's really frustrating, to me at least. I don't mind dropping the two bills, but there's just not enough room on the deck. If I did buy one, it would probably end up staying in the box, after I made sure the finish was correct!

D@mn ! ! !

BD

Can anyone tell me about the "Crimson" color? Here is a link to BBQ Guys where you can look at it:

https://www.bbqguys.com/weber/original-kettle-premium-22-inch-charcoal-grill-crimson

Is this "red" or this really maroon?
It's really the color you see in the photo. Is it crimson or maroon or deep plum or burgundy? Who knows. But it's not red like the new Limited Edition red!

vsTmkeu.jpg

RttgE3Q.jpg

I've used mine about six times or so since I got it, most recently today. It's doing great! Again, I just want to point out that it's my first Weber kettle. I'm pleasantly surprised by how well it shuts down after you finish cooking! My old grill took forever to cool down. I' love how easily you can choke the fire on this kettle. I guess it's the same for all of them.

Only thing I dislike is re-applying the ash catcher. Seems like a pain every time I come back to attach it after dumping out the ashes, it's a bit of a headache to reconnect it to the grill, but after a little finagling the job is done.

Wow! That one looks really nice.

I think I am even more confused because your "brick red" one seems to be the same true red as the "commemorative" special edition, but looking at it in the picture it does not appear to be the special edition grill.

Thank you for posting!

Jon

What’s the story with the crimson color? First I have seen of it, and I like it. Was that produced for a specific company?

The original red is a sharp looking grill for sure. I keep trolling Craigslist hoping to score a classic like that, or one of the many other interesting colors I have only see pictures of.

I’m new to kettles; but I think it would be very cool of Weber to offer different colors every few years. For example make green and copper for 2-3 years, and the blue and red or whatever other color stokes their fire....

My local Lowe’s does not have these in stock, but according to their web inventory 3 local Home Depot stores all have 7 apiece. I’m gonna take a look out of curiosity, but I can’t see dropping an additional $50.00 on one of these; although it’s on par with a master touch, less the GBS. As was said in a previous post, I wouldn’t be surprised if the price on these gets reduced.

Last edited:
What’s the story with the crimson color? First I have seen of it, and I like it. Was that produced for a specific company?
Weber sold the crimson kettle through "premium" dealers like Ace, True Value and others in 2014/2015/2016; I don't think they offered it in 2017, but I could be wrong. It gives those retailers incentive to promote/sell the Weber brand with a product that "regular" dealers can't get.

From the 2015 Weber Premium Product Catalog:

Z1owUTz.jpg

I heard these Limited Edition kettles were manufactured in China.

Should the paint problems be any real surprise?

Sad to see another American company start to offshore...it's a race to the bottom...

Can only hope they will keep the quality up on the Summit Charcoal...I wonder if they will be forced to offshore it also? :(

I heard these Limited Edition kettles were manufactured in China.

Should the paint problems be any real surprise?

Sad to see another American company start to offshore...it's a race to the bottom...

Can only hope they will keep the quality up on the Summit Charcoal...I wonder if they will be forced to offshore it also? :(

Spirit gas grills have been made in China for quite a few years now. Genesis II gas grills made in China since last year. Many component parts of kettles and gas grills made outside the USA for many years now. It's been a slow creep over many years, not a sudden shift.

Well I talked to Weber again after I received the second damaged limited red and they still wouldn't send me a new lid under warranty. Told to send it back to Amazon. Called Amazon customer service and they won't send me a third one. They credited me my money back and suggested I find another vendor...So today I'm taking two grills to the UPS store to be shipped back. No limited for me for now. I may have missed the opportunity. I will check to see if the local Ace store can order me one.

Well, third time is a charm. I took a shot and ordered another one from Amazon and it arrived 2 days later. No imperfections or damage. Very happy with it finally. I'll be roasting a NY strip roast in it this Xmas day. Can't wait.

Well I ordered the son a performer deluxe in copper and it should be in tomorrow ,lets hope it makes it damage free ,merry Christmas to him and his wife

Spirit gas grills have been made in China for quite a few years now. Genesis II gas grills made in China since last year. Many component parts of kettles and gas grills made outside the USA for many years now. It's been a slow creep over many years, not a sudden shift.

Chris,

I get it, and I understand...just frustrating that most of America's manufacturing is heading to China, and Weber is in the same boat as everyone else. Eventually it gets to the point that in order to cut costs of manufacturing, the vendors need to find cheap ways to do so...China is that carrot for recent years and probably for the unforeseeable future.

I nab'd me a Performer today off craigslist, doesn't have the GBS but I'll probably get a Craycourt rather than the GBS. Will be nice to have the gas lighter, came with a heavy duty wire brush and a cover. The seller said to me, "Look, it even has a trash can!" as he opened the charcoal storage container...:-/

Must be the previous model of the Deluxe, as it has the gas lighter and charcoal storage, but no GBS. I don't think the Premium comes with the lighter.

I can't blame them for moving some lower end stuff to china for competitive reasons. However I always thought Kettles could remain here in the USA. As a marketing tool keeping high end priced here in the USA and the kettles would go a long way while still saving a lot of money on the higher volume cheaper gassers.

I can't blame them for moving some lower end stuff to china for competitive reasons. However I always thought Kettles could remain here in the USA. As a marketing tool keeping high end priced here in the USA and the kettles would go a long way while still saving a lot of money on the higher volume cheaper gassers.

Garth,

Funny thing is that Chris mentioned many components of kettles being made in China in the past number of years. I can understand that. Spring clips to hold the ash tray, nuts and bolts, the ash tray...but it seems the "Limited-Edition" was the first kettle to be fully manufactured in China due to the paint which couldn't be met in the U.S.

If this is true, I have mixed feelings about it.

1) Why would a company do that with a "Limited Edition" product?

2) If the paint is really bad, why go to China to circumvent the U.S. regulations for manufacturing? I've long felt that companies going to China to avoid UL Approved or other testing were merely avoiding manufacturing costs. It is at the consumer's expense in many cases. Maybe there's lead in the paint...:eek: We don't really know as even in some cases the U.S. Manufacture doesn't seem to know what the Chinese contractor is doing. I like to use Apple as a company that was able to go to China and get pretty good product. I believe they do it by placing Apple employees inside the FoxConn factories, making sure the workers meet the Apple standards, even if done offshore. All companies don't have that relationship with the contracting company in China. I don't know if Weber does or doesn't have that relationship, I'm just pointing it out as there seemed to be several problems with the "Limited Edition" kettle. I would have no idea about any of the gas grills Chris mentioned as I have never owned a gasser in my life. I don't know if Weber has had a lot of quality control issues on those grills or not.

I can only hope they will continue to make the Summit Charcoal in the U.S., as that is the model I would prefer to buy, and one day that could happen. If/when it does I will need to look close at any issues that may surface as I will expect a $2000 charcoal kettle to be free of any issues. I hope they don't offshore those models.

In the meantime, until I can afford a Summit Charcoal, I picked up a Performer on craigslist...and this would probably last the rest of my life if I wanted...my last kettle is 30+ years and still going...another 30 will most likely have me 6 feet under pushing daisies up...

Honestly assessing Chinese production and the Special Edition Red Kettle

Alan & Garth, I think you both are spot on. I can see Weber farming out the lower end Spirit grills to Chinese production. That gives them an entry-level, cost competitive product. Like many others, though, it bothers me that now the Genesis is going the same route. On the other hand, the Genesis II grills that I have seen in person certainly LOOK and FEEL well-made. Time will tell about that observation, but it isn't fair to lump all "Made in China" products into the same category. Alan's example of Apple and how they work closely with their Chinese counterparts is a perfect case in point.

Regarding the "Limited Edition" Red Kettle, though, I am pretty disappointed. I know some have unrealistic expectations of perfection, but the display models I saw in Home Depot last week wouldn't pass even a fairly low bar. The ones I saw had a lack-luster shine and felt almost dry to the touch. Not at all like the black Master Touch that was also on display that had an almost mirror finish that felt like glass:

aag3s4.jpg

29pqhki.jpg

The red kettles also had quite a bit of "orange peel" in their finish:

bfqqt2.jpg

The saddest thing to see, though, was this one sitting out on full display for all to behold:p:

2md2kaw.jpg

Given these display models, it is hard for me to see how these are going to be much of a success. I mentioned elsewhere that my chance to finally see one in person has really cooled my interest. If I could buy a brand new kettle, I would either get a black Master Touch or maybe one of those CRIMSON Premium grills that are still available at some places online. With the Crimson, you could use the savings compared to the Master Touch toward getting a real stainless steel grate;).

Last edited:
Given the feedback here, maybe it’s a good thing this is a “Limited Edition” piece?

I still hope I win one! It will either go to my wife’s son or become my dedicated pizza kettle! I’m going to do a “bring something to grill” all appetizer party after “Ice Out” this spring/summer and fire maybe eight Weber grills up! Three or four kettles, a Go Anywhere, a WSM, who knows what will be the feasts that day!? Grilling, Swilling, playing music, sounds like a great time to me!

Given the feedback here, maybe it’s a good thing this is a “Limited Edition” piece?

I still hope I win one! It will either go to my wife’s son or become my dedicated pizza kettle! I’m going to do a “bring something to grill” all appetizer party after “Ice Out” this spring/summer and fire maybe eight Weber grills up! Three or four kettles, a Go Anywhere, a WSM, who knows what will be the feasts that day!? Grilling, Swilling, playing music, sounds like a great time to me!

Hey, I wouldn’t mind winning one myself:D! I would not want my comments to in any way be down on those who have or still want to get a red kettle. They are special; I would just carefully inspect before buying one.

I personally think the crimson color deserves a good look:rolleyes:

Back