Lighting process

ECGreen

I'm currently on my 3rd smoke and each time it seems to take forever for the charcoal to light. I'm following instruction outlined on tvwb recipes which says it should only take 15-20 for flames to flicker out the top. It's taking me 45 minutes before it looks remotely ready to dump.

Any ideas? How long does it take you before you dump?

Sounds like you are using the Weber chimney. Are you using crumpled newspaper to light the bottom?

I have been using the Weber cubes in the bottom of the chimney lately and the coal is well lit within about 25 minutes.

Yes sir. Two sheets of newspaper rolled and placed in the bottom. Maybe I'll try the cubes next. Not sure how the wife will feel about me dropping $70 bucks on a lighter (although it sounds well worth it)...have to work on the sales pitch for that.

If you are rolling the newspaper that could cause a problem. They should be crumpled like you were going to throw them away. You could also put some cooking oil on them also. I have no problem spending money on Q but I don't think you need the lighter. There are times it could come in handy but try the inexpensive fix first.

Another option to get the chimney going, if you already one, is a propane/map torch. A minute of "heat" directed onto the coals on the bottom normally does the trick.

Last edited:
I use three standard size paper towels with a little vegetable oil sprinkled on it, and a Weber chimney.

I'm currently on my 3rd smoke and each time it seems to take forever for the charcoal to light. I'm following instruction outlined on tvwb recipes which says it should only take 15-20 for flames to flicker out the top. It's taking me 45 minutes before it looks remotely ready to dump.

What do you set the chimney on?

I set my chimney on two bricks separated far enough apart that the bottom of the chimney has unrestricted air flow through the bottom.

I crumple up 3 double sheets of newspaper, but not too tightly, for fuel. This works well for me. Coals are ready in 20-30 minutes depending on humidity, lump or briquettes and so on.

Also, the coals at the very top of the chimney don't have to be completely gray and ashed over.

When you dump them, they will be on the bottom and be red and glowing like the others in no time.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I use 2 weber cubes. 1 works but 2 works faster. Like Stan said you don't have to have all the coals ashed over. I usually dump Em when the smoke stops.

I put the chimney on the WSM charcoal grate when lighting.

Thanks all for the feedback and ideas. Ill start trying these on the next smoke. I also think I need to dump sooner so I'll definately start doing that as well.

Late to the party as usual for me, but I use 1 Weber starter cube regardless of how full of charcoal the chimney is...and yes, I use KBB. I didn't like the ash from paper, and I'm too frugal to use 2 cubes...plus, waiting to dump the hot coals gives me time to have another beer :cool:

I guess you need to define forever. I use a chimney. What I have found it really depends on how full I make the chimney and how carefully I load the paper in the bottom. On average, it takes me 10-12 minutes before the chimney is ready to dump.

There are wo things I have found that makes a difference. First, I use newspaper that I roll up and the line the lower periphery with 2 to three rolls; that leave a large area for air. The other is to put salad oil on the paper; that overcomes not having more paper. But if there is enough room for the air to help get the flame up the chimney, don't start a beer.

Back