Leveling a charcoal grill

Tim Nilson

I moved into a new house last September, and the driveway at this house is sloped. The driveway is where I would like to put the grill, but I am unsure of how to level it. Any ideas? I was thinking possibly a rubber wedge of some sort under the leg. I have a composite deck on the back of the house, and this was where I was originally going to put it, but have since changed my mind due to safety reasons. So, the driveway it is. Any help is much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum Tim. What are your concerns about your composite deck?
I had two grills on my Timber Tech composite deck for ten years without any problems. Just put something under the grills to protect the deck. Some folks use auto drip pans some us mats.

Hey Tim, Welcome home!
Prop the single leg with a hunka wood, i.e. a small 2x4 or 1x4... whatever you have available.
When through grillin', toss it on the wire rack beneath your ash catcher.

Menards, Ace Hardware and other stores like Lowe's, Home Depot sell grill mats that you place UNDER the grill, making it safe to cook on the deck.
I grill and smoke all the time on my deck and inside the Pigvilion (cedar wood deck floor).
I've had some spills, but nothing to extinguish.

Whereabouts in this state you located?

Put a small level on your grill grate.
Add scrap wood (like 1/2" ply wood... 3/4" ply wood... shims.... & etc)) under the 3rd leg until you get "level".
So this is your "stock". Hopefully it's a normal thickness of scrap wood. If not.... nail or glue the pieces together.
Get another piece of wood to act as a "stop" & nail or glue it to to the edge of your "stock" to keep the leg from going "over the edge".
You are making a laid on it's back "L" spacer for the grill leg.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Robert-R, this is exactly what I ended up doing, and it worked great. Looking forward to grilling my first meal this summer. Thanks for everybody's replys. Jim I live in Little Suamico, about 15 minutes or so north of Green Bay.

Good advice from above. I'll just add that most driveways have a pitch/slope of 1/4" per Ft.
If your drive has a severe pitch like over an inch or more per Ft than I would suggest making a small leveled platform out of wood or large paver's.
This will raise the kettle up to a more comfortable grilling height and you won't have to worry about your kettle sliding down the drive during an ice storm.

Tim

I've used the level app on the iPhone to check grills for level. It's part of the compass app...swipe left.

The reason I'm leveling the grill is that when foiling ribs, if the grill is not level all the liquid will flow to one end of the package and the ribs won't cook evenly. So there's more than one reason to level a grill...I never knew this until Harry Soo told me to level his grill!

10659221_10152405601441586_7805987547529046586_n_zpsee87267f.jpg

Robert-R, this is exactly what I ended up doing, and it worked great. Looking forward to grilling my first meal this summer. Thanks for everybody's replys. Jim I live in Little Suamico, about 15 minutes or so north of Green Bay.

been there a few times.......we go to green bay many times a yr............keep on grillin......

chris

Welcome to the forum Tim. What are your concerns about your composite deck?
I had two grills on my Timber Tech composite deck for ten years without any problems. Just put something under the grills to protect the deck. Some folks use auto drip pans some us mats.

I was thinking the same thing. I just had a deck built with Gossens composite, was worried about putting my Genesis up there. But went to the Gossens website, and they actually recommend a specific grill mat. You don't want to use rubber or vinyl because it can melt or adhere to the composite. But I got the one they recommended and love it.

I had been under the assumption that having a charcoal grill on a deck, be it wood or composite, wasn't a great idea whether you have a mat underneath it or not. That's why I put the grill in the driveway. I live in the country, and there is a fair bit of wind out here, because there aren't any buildings to block it. I guess my main concern would be the grill possibly tipping over from the wind. Also, I use a chimney starter to light the charcoal, and Im not sure if that would be safe on a deck or not, with the sparks that are created when you pour it onto the charcoal grate. Any thoughts about my concerns? I guess I should mention the grill I am using. Its a 22" Weber one touch gold. It looks like they call it the premium now. Thanks for all of the welcomes.

Tim, I think common sense kicks in when grilling on a surface with concern.
Obviously, you are aware of any danger that could arise... that alone shows respect for the use of your grill.

I have been grilling on Weber Grill longer than the arm of the law and yet to see a kettle tip over.
In winds strong enough to be that successful, a guy should not be outside grilling in the 1st place.

The Gold series kettles do a fine job holding inside the bucket any lit embers that may drop out of the grill...

The only time I've seen a kettle upended it was because of the dog on his run.

In regards to the grill on the deck, my buddy went a different route than a mat. He used some leftover kitchen floor tiles to put under his grill.

Well I have had my charcoal grill set up in the driveway for a couple weeks now, and I think I would prefer it in the back yard. So, that means either on the deck or in the grass next to the deck. Is there anything to worry about with a charcoal grill being on grass?

Back