Leg of Lamb, Saffron Rice and Edgy Peas

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Yesterday was one of those days that everything was just a half a bubble off. Not just with my cook, but other occurrances throughout the day. My goal was to cook a leg of lamb, sided with Saffron Rice and Edgy Peas. I eventually did but it was a bumpy ride. I managed to get the lamb on a little late and that led to a stressful scramble at the end of the day to get everything on the table before the Late Show came on. 106 degrees outside didn't help either. Kind of glad this cook is in the rear view mirror. Anyway, here's what I did.

Things started out great Saturday afternoon. Made a great marinade/paste for the lamb. Left in in the marinade overnight for a total of 22 hours. Here are the hard spices for the marinade. Cloves, green cardamom pods, black cardamom pods, bay leaves, black peppercorns, cinnamon stick and cumin seeds.

enhance

Ground this to a powder n my spice grinder.

enhance

Then I added some chili powder, salt ginger, garlic, vinegar, oil and plain yogurt. Used the blender to complete the marinade/paste. Here is the leg of lamb, just under 5 lbs.

enhance

Fast forward to the following evening. Pulled the lamb out of the marinade and let warm to room temperature, got it on the spit and on the grill.

enhance

During the first hour or so I worked on the rice and the Edgy peas. No action shots of the rice as it was the exact same setup and cook as the Caribbean rice a few days ago. Thought it would be redundant. As for the peas, it got so blasted late, I wimped out and did them on the stove top to save time. Won't bore you with that. Here are the spices I used in their preparation however. Oil, whole cumin seeds, peeled and sliced ginger, ground coriander, garam masala, salt, peas, fenugreek leaves, milk, lemon juice to sub for dried mango powder which I could not find and black pepper.

enhance

About an hour on the rotisserie.

enhance

Almost done.

enhance

Resting.

enhance

Sliced it up and plated.

enhance

enhance

Everything was delicious and worth the work and sweating my tail off during the cook. The lamb was delicious and the sides were equally impressive. Hope you all had a great weekend. Thanks for looking.

Fantastic looking cook/meal, Cliff. Well played! I hope it cools off for ya soon.

That's to die for. To die for. To die for. Lamb looks perfect. Love the peas and rice. Beautiful plate & pix.

Dang Cliff you are just killing me, i mean when ever you open your restaurant I want a season pass. This plate looks fabulous.

Another great cook by the master chef. I feel your pain it was 105 here yesterday and very humid, todays going to be worse it's 9am and 95 degrees already.

Mary had a little lamb, a little lamb, a little lamb. Mary had a little lamb, until one day Cliff B ate it.

Nice cook!

Back