Leftover Brisket = Chili Time!!

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Had a bunch of brisket left over from my NYD cook, and that only means one thing.....CHILI!

I used my go-to recipe (Bill's Dark Matter Chili.....posted in the recipes section), only I used 100% smoked brisket for the meat. Since I don't like to recook the brisket (it gets stringy and mushy), I just made the "chili sauce" first, simmering it for about 1.5 hours to bring the flavors together and reduce. With about 30 minutes to go, I added the brisket (2.5lbs!!) and a square of unsweetened baker's chocolate. Let that do it's thing for about 30 minutes, then it was time to eat. Didn't get a lot of pics, but how many do you really need.....???

Like this meat to sauce ratio??

1609729856372.jpeg

A "New Year's Resolution" sized bowl for dinner (with a side of grapes....not pictured)

1609729896220.jpeg

Perfect meal for a chilly evening (CA style.) :)

Rich

That looks wonderful Rich. The unsweetened baker's chocolate kind of took me by surprise but I'd sure like to try a bowl. Your question regarding sauce ratio (probably more rhetorical) I think I'd prefer a tad more sauce, at least in the bowl shot, but it certainly looks delicious either way. I see now why it's a New Year's Tradition for you and your family.

That looks wonderful Rich. The unsweetened baker's chocolate kind of took me by surprise but I'd sure like to try a bowl. Your question regarding sauce ratio (probably more rhetorical) I think I'd prefer a tad more sauce, at least in the bowl shot, but it certainly looks delicious either way. I see now why it's a New Year's Tradition for you and your family.
I got the chocolate addition from a competition chili cook. It's a subtle background flavor addition that just boosts the rest of the flavors somehow.

I think that due to the small batch size of the sauce, I lost quite a bit more to evaporation, so it is a bit light on the sauce. Kind of like a meaty, chile-flavored Bolognese! :)

R

Rich, all the Texans are going to be disappointed that you left out the beans...;)
I have never made bean-less chili and I keep looking at this cook yesterday and today, and I keep saying I have to try this. Then I keep saying so I need to make that first brisket so I can make my first batch of bean-less chili with leftover brisket and I can blame Rich G for both of those cooks. And...my family got me a CI Lodge Dutch Oven for Christmas and I can hear that pot calling for this cook to be done in it.

Rich, I just keep bookmarking your cooks to try to recreate over the next few months and this is another.

I have never made bean-less chili and I keep looking at this cook yesterday and today, and I keep saying I have to try this. Then I keep saying so I need to make that first brisket so I can make my first batch of bean-less chili with leftover brisket and I can blame Rich G for both of those cooks. And...my family got me a CI Lodge Dutch Oven for Christmas and I can hear that pot calling for this cook to be done in it.

Rich, I just keep bookmarking your cooks to try to recreate over the next few months and this is another.
Sure seems like the universe is trying to tell you something! :) I get blamed for lots of stuff anyway, so go for it, I can take it! :)

R

Chili looks perfect to me Rich. I made the same with leftover brisket last week, really good. Never tried the bakers chocolate in my chili, might have to reevaluate
Around here if something goes wrong and I don't get blamed I get really suspicious.

Last edited:
Sauce ratio looks good to me. I have a couple of pounds of smoked brisket in the freezer. This is definitely on my to do list in the next few weeks.

The chocolate brings out flavors similar to a Mexican black mole' sauce. A bit of espresso powder can also be very enjoyable.

Love using smoke brisket for chili, to the point that I almost have to make a brisket to make chili, period. Love using a homebrew sweet stout for up to a pint of liquid as well.

The chocolate brings out flavors similar to a Mexican black mole' sauce. A bit of espresso powder can also be very enjoyable.

Love using smoke brisket for chili, to the point that I almost have to make a brisket to make chili, period. Love using a homebrew sweet stout for up to a pint of liquid as well.
Same, chili requires brisket! Sometimes, I'll buy two. Grind one, and smoke the other, then use ground brisket for half the meat, smoked for the other half. Pretty sure it's an addiction, but not one I'm trying to kick! :)

....and, yeah, espresso powder would work similarly to the chocolate!

R

Back