latest addition

if you zoom in you can see a yellow and orange wire and
its tight explains the odd behaviour

its gonna rain here soon will give it a go later

gonna take couple better pics and let weber have a look.
im guessing something is blown powers on now but with no temp
showing on controller.

any tricks to get the rest of those pellets out of the throat?

if you zoom in you can see a yellow and orange wire and
its tight explains the odd behaviour

its gonna rain here soon will give it a go later

gonna take couple better pics and let weber have a look.
im guessing something is blown powers on now but with no temp
showing on controller.

any tricks to get the rest of those pellets out of the throat?
Shop vac would work.

This is why I adhere to the KISS method in my life, a WSM is either on or off, a kettle on or off, gasser on or off.
Nope, I just don’t need that stuff to make my easier life more complicated. It’s always a “little thing” that goes sideways but, I’m one more ”little thing” away from going nuts. Sorry, that became more rant than necessary but, you all catch my drift.
Yes we know, you say that in EVERY Smokefire post where someone just happens to have an issue…….🤣

I’ll admit to having a couple issues. One or two where I had to bail a cook and fire up a kettle. But she’s a cooker, and she’s sweeeeeeet.

If the apocalypse ever happens, I’ll use my generator to fire it up. From there, I’ve got kettles covered

Yes we know, you say that in EVERY Smokefire post where someone just happens to have an issue…….🤣

I’ll admit to having a couple issues. One or two where I had to bail a cook and fire up a kettle. But she’s a cooker, and she’s sweeeeeeet.

If the apocalypse ever happens, I’ll use my generator to fire it up. From there, I’ve got kettles covered
Facts is facts! You speak the truth!
Its not just smokefire threads, it is pretty much any post which involves electronic/Wi-Fi/app interfaces, I play bluegrass music, sold acoustic instruments, anything that can be plugged in is overseen by “the man” and I’m not a big fan. Is there anything wrong with basics?

Last edited:
Its not just smokefire threads, it is pretty much any post which involves electronic/Wi-Fi/app interfaces, I play bluegrass music, sold acoustic instruments, anything that can be plugged in is overseen by “the man” and I’m not a big fan. Is there anything wrong with basics?
How many miles per bail of hay do you get out of your horse? I know there is now way you own a vehicle that is dependent on a battery that is now so restricted and regulated by “the man”. Not to mention all the taxes on gasoline and diesel. I get your point that a pellet pooper can fail. And I would not want to own just a pellet grill.

Not at all. I’m just razzing you a little haha. I’ve also thought about stuff like that, what to do with no propane or electricity.

well the wires in the hopper are for the pellet sensor,
I managed to get them out, wires arnt broken but
insulation is damaged can see wires,
still waiting for reply from last round of pics.
just my luck costco has traeger road show
and I wait…….

well the wires in the hopper are for the pellet sensor,
I managed to get them out, wires arnt broken but
insulation is damaged can see wires,
still waiting for reply from last round of pics.
just my luck costco has traeger road show
and I wait…….
Just return the Smokefire and start over. You paid full price for a working smoker. Not your fault or responsibility to diagnose and sit on it hoping Weber figures it out. No rational person would blame you. You have a fair amount of money tied up.

Just return the Smokefire and start over. You paid full price for a working smoker. Not your fault or responsibility to diagnose and sit on it hoping Weber figures it out. No rational person would blame you. You have a fair amount of money tied up.
Yeah, unless Weber offers to replace the whole hopper, control and auger system assembly. Then you have everything new except the oven. Otherwise almost seems like time to cut bait and have it replaced

Yeah, unless Weber offers to replace the whole hopper, control and auger system assembly. Then you have everything new except the oven. Otherwise almost seems like time to cut bait and have it replaced
I’m retired and have multiple other cookers. But many, I’m sure their time is worth more. Waiting on parts that may or may not be in stock. And might not fix the problem. The time it takes to swap the parts yourself. I know swapping out the parts is not a major task. But I also know people who can’t hang a picture frame on a wall.lol
Definitely a judgement call for the user.

I actually got a 43% discount on it but not sure it is worth waiting for.
I don’t mind fixing it was a service tech for 31 yrs so no issues from that view
but shouldn’t have to fix anything brand new.
They responded back again and are going to send a service agent to fix it.
Could be 10 days or more.
Gonna give homedepot a call I don’t have the original box any more not sure that matters.
what a debacle

I actually got a 43% discount on it but not sure it is worth waiting for.
I don’t mind fixing it was a service tech for 31 yrs so no issues from that view
but shouldn’t have to fix anything brand new.
They responded back again and are going to send a service agent to fix it.
Could be 10 days or more.
Gonna give homedepot a call I don’t have the original box any more not sure that matters.
what a debacle
First time I have seen a post about Weber sending out a tech. Hope it goes better than the average appliance tech.
I guess your Home Depot doesn’t have any in stock where you could let them keep the new box?
Yes, I believe the controller update is automatic if you open and connect with the Weber app on your phone. I made the mistake early on and opened the phone app and connected after I had already started my cook. Needless to say it stopped my cook while it did the update and I had to shut it down and restart. Now I check before each cook. Maybe Weber has changed the app so it doesn’t override and stop the cook?
Wish you luck on whatever route you take.

still a smoking burned about 120lbs of pellets so far
I have used cabelas and kirkland both work well.
holds the temp remarkably well.
Some of these grills will burn any brand of pellets without oa problem. Other grills are picky eaters. We, each, have to find what works for our grills. Mine will burn any brand but I go with the smaller diameter Cabelas to minimize the risk of bridging. Enjoy.

Some of these grills will burn any brand of pellets without oa problem. Other grills are picky eaters. We, each, have to find what works for our grills. Mine will burn any brand but I go with the smaller diameter Cabelas to minimize the risk of bridging. Enjoy.
An oddball thing I found (accidentally) pellet related (at least on my Z). A while back (Thanksgiving actually) I was doing some smoking and it was loaded up with Kirkland pellets. Up to that point they'd been working fine in the grill. But, I was using it in cold and windy conditions. Though clear and dry. I needed to get my temps up as I was doing a roast. So I wanted to run a L&S and then increase temps to about 400. Well it just would not run past 275 or so. My RTD was perfectly clean, the grill was (had been cleaned) prior to the cook. It ran like a champ 275 or less though. I happened then to notice on Costco web site comments about how their pellets were too hard and too long (no jokes here please G rated) :D So in any case I fired up MM and finished up that way. Now MM runs Smokehouse from Sam's exclusively. So, when the cook was done I cleaned both grills out. I put Kirkland in the MM and Smokehouse from Sam's in the Z. Wouldn't ya know? MM now would not run hot in the cold windy temps, but Big Z did! I had never noticed any issues prior (running in moderate weather). I actually liked that they were harder/longer pellets and seemed to burn just a touch cleaner with slightly less ash. Then the Smokehouse.
Well now I learned something new. For my day in day out work during warm weather months I'll use the Kirkland until they're gone. I have laid in a huge cache of the Smokehouse pellets from Menards. Having bought now 18-20 bags total. If I can find a way to hoard more (especially since they're giving them away for such a great mix at $7.99 40# of the 50/50 oak/hickory blend (no maple in these pellets) I figure how can I go wrong? I may try and get back there tomorrow and lay in another 10 bags or so. I think I am going to break their shopping carts LOL. I'll then transition to only Smokehouse pellets then from now on. Since they're great all around pellets.

Back