latest addition

This is why I adhere to the KISS method in my life, a WSM is either on or off, a kettle on or off, gasser on or off.
Nope, I just don’t need that stuff to make my easier life more complicated. It’s always a “little thing” that goes sideways but, I’m one more ”little thing” away from going nuts. Sorry, that became more rant than necessary but, you all catch my drift.
Luke, you WILL come to the dahkside...................Luuuke, I am your fahther Luuuuuuuuke, come to the dahkside

Try the next option, lol: keep it plugged-in with the power switch ON and walk away for a span of time and see if it reboots from, possibly, an update.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems. It shouldn't be that way.
I would love to get an EX4 but I can't let go of my faultless Camp Chef. I love the porcelain look of the EX4 and hate the way my CC looks. I try to keep all my grills looking decent but the finish on the CC looks like an airplane crashed into a train that ran into a fire truck on the way to a dumpster fire.
Goes to show you beauty is only skin deep.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems. It shouldn't be that way.
I would love to get an EX4 but I can't let go of my faultless Camp Chef. I love the porcelain look of the EX4 and hate the way my CC looks. I try to keep all my grills looking decent but the finish on the CC looks like an airplane crashed into a train that ran into a fire truck on the way to a dumpster fire.
Goes to show you beauty is only skin deep.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Your description of the appearance is hilarious! Thanks for the laugh Rich!

This is gonna sound really weird but I have seen it work. Pull the control panel and hit it with some dry heat. If you have a heat gun that works, or a hair dryer. You can also stick it in the oven a bit. Maybe 275 to 325 for a while. Let it cool and reinstall. Nothing to lose

it was at first moved it to garage so it wasn’t made no diff
also was using gfi at first moved to non made no diff.
they sending me new power/logic asm behind the controller.
took him about 1 min to send it, seems like common issue.

and we wait.

well fook went out this morning to start first burn turned knob to 450
about 10 mins later started to smoke closed lid about 5 mins after that contoller blanked out again and shut down

something is flakey in da smokefire
So you were starting preheat to 450 with lid open for at least the first 10 minutes? This might have freaked out the unit at it could not detect the temp rising.
unplug the grill and let it sit for 30 minutes. Plug back in and try to start it again with the lid closed as instructed in instructions. I believe it even tells you on the control display to keep lid closed on start up.

@Daryl w is the grill plugged in with an extension cord? If yes, I'm curious if this is contributing.
It does not draw that much power. I don’t have power close to mine and have always run off fairly long extension cords without issues. This can be a big problem with some higher power tools. Thankfully not an issue so far with Smokefire.

So you were starting preheat to 450 with lid open for at least the first 10 minutes? This might have freaked out the unit at it could not detect the temp rising.
unplug the grill and let it sit for 30 minutes. Plug back in and try to start it again with the lid closed as instructed in instructions. I believe it even tells you on the control display to keep lid closed on start up.
followed instructions in book, it is nothing procedural if the controller wont turn on and stay on.
its kinda hard to preheat anything if the controller dont power on and stay on.
it worked once for about 15 mins then blanked out again its broken.
you shouldnt have to fuk with it to get it to power on.
you should just put together plug it in, even if it isnt assembled right the controller should power on.

I‘m not trying anything else till i have the power asm as it doesnt even have the correct lights
when it does decide to turn on, its missing the heartbeat led.

and I agree extension cord makes no diff it doesnt even draw 2amps.
and i can measure 120v inside at the power supply.

and i wait…..

it was at first moved it to garage so it wasn’t made no diff
also was using gfi at first moved to non made no diff.
they sending me new power/logic asm behind the controller.
took him about 1 min to send it, seems like common issue.

and we wait.
Good things come to those who wait. Hopefully Weber is shipping it out asap.

I'm sorry this happened Daryl. This might sound underhanded, but if you end up taking it back to Home Depot, you might forget to include everything (grates) The reason being, HD doesn't ship the defective unit back to Weber, they just deduct it off their next payment to Weber. Weber has a certain amount of time to "come get it" which they (and other vendors don't) and it ends up in the dumpster behind Home Depot. We used to dumpster dive HD, Lowes and whatnot, but they cracked down on that

im guessing this isnt right, looks like pinched wires
is this normal? im guessing not

Last edited:
A little hard to see in the photo, but yeah if pinched wires are present, it's worth having a go at it. Might also have a look at solder joints and the like.

Back