Labor Day Ribs

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Barb and I took a day off and just relaxed.
For dinner we decided to cook up some Baby Backs on the performer.
I did a high heat cook on the performer using Jim Lampe’s method.
Tried a new rub from Trader Joe’s BBQ 101.
Smoke for the cook was cherry
Kettle ran a steady 390-400 for the entire cook. Foiled the ribs with brown sugar and apple juice.
Total cook time about an hour and 45 minutes.
Ribs came out great we didn’t put sauce on the ribs when we cooked them as we were trying another Trader Joes product Carolina Gold BBQ sauce, really good. Not so good was the TJs rub, wouldn’t recommend it.

Barb cooked up some corn on the bone and a couple of store bought salads rounded it out.

Nice easy meal and a relaxing day.

101_7037.JPG

101_7039.JPG

101_7044.JPG

101_7046.JPG

101_7048.JPG

That's some good eats Rich. I picked up a bottle of that rub at my last visit at Trader Joes. Now I know what I'll use it for

Rich, I picked this up at Walmart I have used it like 3 times now, first time I put on rather heavy , the next 2 times I reduced it to a light covering and it was fantastic, I got many compliments. Good price also I think you can do 10 to 12 ribs slabs per bottle easy.
20210703_181352.jpg

Rich, I picked this up at Walmart I have used it like 3 times now, first time I put on rather heavy , the next 2 times I reduced it to a light covering and it was fantastic, I got many compliments. Good price also I think you can do 10 to 12 ribs slabs per bottle easy.
View attachment 36631
Thanks Kevin I will look for it next trip to Wally's.
I've been trying various new rubs I come across but will probably revert back to my homemade rub I've been using for over twenty years. Haven't found anything better so far.

Thanks Kevin I will look for it next trip to Wally's.
I've been trying various new rubs I come across but will probably revert back to my homemade rub I've been using for over twenty years. Haven't found anything better so far.
You were straying away from Rich's Rub? :oops:

You were straying away from Rich's Rub? :oops:
Not really, just wanted to try some others for grins. I use my rib rub on pork butts and other cuts of meat too. For ribs I haven't found anything better than my rub and #5 BBQ sauce. Although Operation BBQ Relief rub was pretty good on ribs. It's a nice change of pace with Caroline Gold BBQ sauce.

URL please. THX! 8)) I also wanna' se how the baskets were loaded.
This will probably answer your questions.

Back