Kurobota Pork Shoulder

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I will warn you now that I did not cook this on a grill (some embarrassing story about discovering at 5am that I was out of charcoal.....a very sad thing that has not happened to me in about 25 years!) :oops:

A friend of mine showed up on my doorstep on Thursday with a 10-lb, bone-in pork shoulder (skin-on) from a Kurobota piggy. I won't go into the details, but he is a great guy who was very unnecessarily returning a kindness from a few years back. Anyway, so I had no charcoal, thus the pulled pork plan was out. So I called an audible, de-skinned the shoulder, removed a bit of the prodigious (and gorgeously white and creamy) fat cap, applied a mustard/herb slather, and chucked that beast in a 275F degree oven. I'll tell you now, if you are selling a house, don't bake cookies to provide an aroma, roast a pork shoulder! Our entire house full of guests was drooling everywhere from about 10a onward.

Fast forward to 10 hours later, and the piggy was at 175, which I determined was a good temperature for slicing. I removed it to a cutting board to rest, then proceeded to extract the goodness from the bottom of the roasting pan for a bit of gravy. Used some skimmed fat to build a roux, then added that to thicken the drippings that had been simmering with some onions, carrots and herbs. Strained that into a gravy jug, and we were off to the races.

The pork was absolutely amazing (I've had pork from this butcher before, so not shocked.) The mustard slather came through with a nice subtle flavor in the crust, and the meat was just melt in your mouth tender, flavored by that wonderful fat that had mostly dissolved throughout. The gravy put it over the top for sure. My lovely wife made her trademark sesame noodle salad, some roasted broccoli, and a green salad. Lots of mmmm's from around the table.

What I learned? It's not a sin to roast pork in the oven (:ROFLMAO:), and I need to try cooking a shoulder to slicing temps on the WSM....it was a nice change and alternative to pulled. Oh, and good pig is good! :)

Thanks for checking this non0grill cook out.

Rich

IMG_6265.jpeg

IMG_6267.jpeg

IMG_6268.jpeg

Great looking meal Rich! I don't know who's luckier, your guests or you for having pork like that available to you locally. Your wife's sides sound great also.

I don't know who's luckier, your guests or you for having pork like that available to you locally.

Well, we were all lucky to have a generous neighbor, but in general I definitely consider myself lucky that the source is here, and appears to be sustainable. I will say that the cost demands that it's very special occasion stuff, but it is very good when we splurge! :)

Rich

Better to have cooked in the oven than to have not cooked at all!

I love the look of the gravy. The light reflected by the fat globules is very inviting.;)

"So I called an audible, de-skinned the shoulder, removed a bit of the prodigious (and gorgeously white and creamy) fat cap, applied a mustard/herb slather, and chucked that beast in a 275F degree oven. I'll tell you now, if you are selling a house, don't bake cookies to provide an aroma, roast a pork shoulder! Our entire house full of guests was drooling everywhere from about 10a onward."

Rich, sounds like you did a great job, but, how can we duplicate that? If we put the wrong herbs in with the mustard, there is no guarantee that ours will smell as good as yours.

(Assuming that it is not a secret recipe. lol)

Great save Rich, that looks absolutely perfect. Also your wife's side dishes sounds like a perfect paring with the pork.

If we put the wrong herbs in with the mustard, there is no guarantee that ours will smell as good as yours.
Joan, it didn't really occur to me to list the slather ingredients since I've been using some form of it on pork and lamb roasts for so long, and it changes every time! :) Here's what I mixed up this time:

~5 Tbs dijon mustard
~3 Tbs olive oil
Thyme (dried)
Sage (dried)
Rosemary (dried)
Garlic, minced (maybe 3 cloves)

Mixed all of this to a thick'ish paste, then slathered over all sides of the pork after I salted/peppered. All of this should be done to taste, though I listed the herbs in order of the amount used from more to less. Sage and Rosemary can be pretty strong, though I knew the roast would be cooking for at least 10 hours, so I wasn't really too worried about having them overpower the flavor of the meat.

Sometimes I mix in a little white wine, and frequently mix up the herb blend depending on what I'm doing, my mood, and what's in the cabinet.

Now, go smell up your house! :)

R

Back