Korean-style Chicken Inspired by Mr. Minion

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
So, we made soup yesterday, which meant I needed chicken stock. Fast forward through that unrelated cook, and I had a bag of chicken parts from a whole chicken to cook up. I wanted to do something along the lines of the flavors you find in Kalbi (Korean short ribs), so I searched my favorite place for ideas......TVWBB! There were a few that caught my eye, but I settled on THIS ONE FROM 2005 from Jim Minion (post #3) as my inspiration. I took a bit more inspiration from Kevin Kruger's post below Jim's, and whipped up a marinade (1 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup water, minced garlic, minced ginger, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, and sesame seeds.) I poured that over my chicken pieces in a zip lock, and put it in the fridge for about 8-9 hours (flipped it every couple hours.)

I set the pellet grill up for a 425F degree cook, and when it was ready, I got the chicken on. I heated up some reserved marinade, and used that to baste the chicken when I turned the pieces every 10 minutes. After 40 minutes, the dark meat was done, and the breasts took another 5 minutes (I turned the grill down to 400F after about 25 minutes, as the sugar in the marinade was caramelizing heavily! While all that was going on, I cooked up some jasmine rice, and roasted some zucchini. When everything was rested, I got food on the plate, snapped a couple of photos, and got my grub on. All I have to say is that I will definitely be making this again! Tender, flavorful, juicy, chicken with the Korean-style flavors that I was looking for.

I didn't get any on the grill pics, but got a couple after the chicken was done.......

1615521143885.jpeg

1615521263435.jpeg

So, we made soup yesterday, which meant I needed chicken stock. Fast forward through that unrelated cook, and I had a bag of chicken parts from a whole chicken to cook up. I wanted to do something along the lines of the flavors you find in Kalbi (Korean short ribs), so I searched my favorite place for ideas......TVWBB! There were a few that caught my eye, but I settled on THIS ONE FROM 2005 from Jim Minion (post #3) as my inspiration. I took a bit more inspiration from Kevin Kruger's post below Jim's, and whipped up a marinade (1 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup water, minced garlic, minced ginger, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, and sesame seeds.) I poured that over my chicken pieces in a zip lock, and put it in the fridge for about 8-9 hours (flipped it every couple hours.)

I set the pellet grill up for a 425F degree cook, and when it was ready, I got the chicken on. I heated up some reserved marinade, and used that to baste the chicken when I turned the pieces every 10 minutes. After 40 minutes, the dark meat was done, and the breasts took another 5 minutes (I turned the grill down to 400F after about 25 minutes, as the sugar in the marinade was caramelizing heavily! While all that was going on, I cooked up some jasmine rice, and roasted some zucchini. When everything was rested, I got food on the plate, snapped a couple of photos, and got my grub on. All I have to say is that I will definitely be making this again! Tender, flavorful, juicy, chicken with the Korean-style flavors that I was looking for.

I didn't get any on the grill pics, but got a couple after the chicken was done.......

View attachment 24066

View attachment 24068
You do know how to plate a dish!

Fine looking cook Rich. I like how you called upon resources on the board in prepping your cook. Those are some mighty big names you sought for your inspiration. An all round winner for sure.
TVWBB is one of the first places I go when looking for inspiration (grilling or not.) That will often lead me to research something I found there on the wild and wooly Internet, but so much good stuff to find here!

.....that does remind me that I'm overdue for a donation to Mr. A to help keep the lights on! :)

R

The plate shot is great, but I am drooling over those Korean flavors I can never get enough of those ,they fit so many different meats so well.

Back