Kitchen Hacks, Tips & Tricks

Rich, I've been buying the 6-packs of 6-ounce cans of pineapple juice and the 10-oz bottles of very good Martinelli apple juice to avoid wasting things that I don't ordinarily drink. Saves one step and freezer space.

Rich, I've been buying the 6-packs of 6-ounce cans of pineapple juice and the 10-oz bottles of very good Martinelli apple juice to avoid wasting things that I don't ordinarily drink. Saves one step and freezer space.

Thanks Rita, I used to use the small cans but some of my marinades use about three of those at a time and like I said I go through a lot of pineapple and AJ juice and for some reason none of the stores here carry the six packs of small pineapple any more. I can get the martinelli but cost wise it's much more economical for us to do the bulk freeze and with three freezers we've got the room for it.

This is such a great thread Bob started! If I ever get time I am going to read through all the great tips from the great cooks on this forum!

Economy-wise you're right, Rich. I've tried buying large bottles of juices and simply used the leftover for a beverage. Of course when the bottle gets down to about 1 or 2 cups, I start a recipe that calls for 3 cups. And I have a problem with small bags of pucks wiggling themselves to the bottom of my chest freezer and no matter how much I eat out of my freezer it is usually pretty full....as in packed. I don't know how that happens. :(

Economy-wise you're right, Rich. I've tried buying large bottles of juices and simply used the leftover for a beverage. Of course when the bottle gets down to about 1 or 2 cups, I start a recipe that calls for 3 cups. And I have a problem with small bags of pucks wiggling themselves to the bottom of my chest freezer and no matter how much I eat out of my freezer it is usually pretty full....as in packed. I don't know how that happens. :(

I know the feeling we have two uprights in the garage and talk about 10 pounds in a 9 pound freezers, you would think nothing could hide in an upright. Found a whole chicken hiding behind some pork chops, been in there 10 months. Also had three frozen rib eyes slid off the top shelf and land on my bare feet....OUCH!

Cheap hand washing station for your next outing.
Poke a small hole in a plastic jug, plug it with a golf tee or something similar, fill it with water.
Tie a nylon hose with a bar of soap to the handle.
You get a nice trickle of water, and if done right, there is no leakage with the plug installed.

a985a60a3338428445f5c94ec6339582.jpg

My contribution to this thread might be a little strange, but here it goes...

Being the father of a young kid, I had a surplus of baby wipes after my wife and I got our daughter toilet-trained. I put the baby wipes to good use by putting a wipes dispenser on the bottom shelf of my Performer, so whenever my hands get covered in grease, ash, or charcoal dust, I just clean my hands off with a couple baby wipes, saving me a trip inside to the sink. Pre-moistened baby wipes do a pretty good job of getting any grill-related debris or residue off your hands.

Cheap hand washing station for your next outing.
Poke a small hole in a plastic jug, plug it with a golf tee or something similar, fill it with water.
Tie a nylon hose with a bar of soap to the handle.
You get a nice trickle of water, and if done right, there is no leakage with the plug installed.

a985a60a3338428445f5c94ec6339582.jpg

w0w.
think i'll sacrifice my bathroom to the guests... (that thing looks scary!)

Ran across these today.

Add frozen grapes to your glass of wine to keep it chilled, or to chill it if it's too warm.

Place slices of lemons and or limes in a muffin tin, fill each one with water and freeze for adding large cubes to pitchers of water, sangria, etc.

Ran across these today.

Add frozen grapes to your glass of wine to keep it chilled, or to chill it if it's too warm.

Place slices of lemons and or limes in a muffin tin, fill each one with water and freeze for adding large cubes to pitchers of water, sangria, etc.

Same idea when brining "anything". Heat up half the required water (for dissolving ingredients) but FREEZE the other half (already pre-measured plain water). Once the spices are dissolved, if you just add the rest of the water, it takes forever to cool down.

Instead, add the pre-made ice to the mix and your cooling time is greatly reduced. I did it the "whole" water method the first time and it took over 6 hours (in my bar fridge) before I could get the meat in it.

To make easy pouched eggs add a couple ramicans to a pot of water/vinegar ensuring the water/vinegar is about a 1/4" over the tops. They chatter when the water boils. Simply crack the eggs and pour them into ramicans for about 5 min. When done use a spoon and scoop them into cold water. Makes awesome eggs Benedict.

Back