Kitchen Hacks, Tips & Tricks

J, how did you get the cone out. I just tried to get me cone out and it would not quite come out. What is the trick.
TIA

No trick, just muscle it! It's a little tricky to get back in.. get a big screwdriver or something that seems about the right size to pry with.... I did mine & it lasted 10 years afterwards - I need to do it to the new one I got a few weeks ago.

After scooping ice cream from the container, press a piece of plastic wrap right on the surface of the remaining ice cream then replace the lid. Keeping air off the surface prevents freezer burn.

Saw this the other day, haven't tried it yet but most likely will the next eggs I crack.;)

The hack: Get broken eggshell pieces out of your bowl of cracked eggs.
How to do it: Simple. Wet your fingers. The water will attract the eggshell. And your fingers will act like a magnet, instantly drawing out the pesky shell bits.

No trick, just muscle it! It's a little tricky to get back in.. get a big screwdriver or something that seems about the right size to pry with.... I did mine & it lasted 10 years afterwards - I need to do it to the new one I got a few weeks ago.
Yep that and a pair of channel-locks. Turn the chimney upside down and start prying away one of the tabs with the screwdriver from the inside. Once it seems loose use the channel locks to pry and pull up at the sametime to pull that tab out of the slot. Once you get one loose it should pivot and slide out easy, if not do the same on another tab.
Oh and wear some gloves and eye protection.

Tim

Getting the initial chimney lit:

I usually have a problem getting the chimney coals going as I use a ring of newspaper shaped like a doughnut (with some veggie oil smeared on it) set in the bottom but it'll take 2-3 attempts to get it lit/stay lit. I try to keep the roll loose but still, the paper is quite tight when rolled up.

Now, I'll still do the doughnut shape but crumple one sheet of newspaper inside the doughnut hole. LIght that crumpled one and the rest just "goes along for the ride (burn)".

Only light it once now. Works beautifully plus it's just scrap paper for starters (not wasting money on starter cubes ;) that can be used for tall boys).

Saw this the other day, haven't tried it yet but most likely will the next eggs I crack.;)

The hack: Get broken eggshell pieces out of your bowl of cracked eggs.
How to do it: Simple. Wet your fingers. The water will attract the eggshell. And your fingers will act like a magnet, instantly drawing out the pesky shell bits.

Another way to do this is to use the shell itself. It is attracted to the same material somehow. Jamie Oliver shows you here in a 1 min vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfcXs5ARlP0

After using your cast iron cook skillet, wash, turn oven on low (200ish) and put cast iron in oven for a few minutes. It ensures the skillet is bone dry to avoid rust! I normally wash with water and every few times rub the skillet with oil before placing in oven.

Inspired, Geir! Creative as always! You're right; so much of the thin marinade simply winds up dripping off.

It's been ages since I made Roadside Chicken. Time to do it again. Some might make it a little differently, but I usually set aside a portion for basting first and then marinate the chicken in the remainder of the mixture. I think I'll try your advice, but might add a smaller portion of Xanthan gum only to the part I set aside for basting, reasoning (rightly or wrongly) that the thinner marinade might penetrate the meat easier.

Now you have me wondering....if the steam created by the dripping thin marinade contributes at all to the end result in flavor. It might not be enough to matter.

Rita

I use xanthan gum in the second batch of marinade. The marinade used during grilling gets a small teaspoon of Xanthan gum.
I have never experimented, but I like your style. You might like to use the rest of the marinade used in step 1, and drip it over the coals when grilling. To be frank, I'm not sure if it is possible to taste the difference, but complicated procedures makes foods more special, and that's a part of the magic. :)

Last edited:
Barb uses our cast iron pans a lot, at least 3-4 times a week and I was having a hard time keeping them seasoned. I got some organic flaxseed oil and tried that, it's not cheap but boy what a difference.
I seasoned them about three times and I haven't had to do them in about two months now and there just like Teflon.
Well worth the added expense.

Use a muffin tin for condiments.

ptxoafdka2sfetjs7fxk.jpg

To keep a bundle of bananas fresher for at least a week longer, wrap the stem with plastic wrap.
To keep herbs fresh, rinse then wrap in a paper towel then store in a zip-loc bag while pushing out the excess air.

Tim

My cast iron pointers:

Cleaning:

I save the old oxo dish scrubber head for cast iron only every few/several months that I get a new one for my regular dishes. I use it without the palm handle.

I bought one of those chain mail scrubbers but I only used it a few times.... it's just not needed.

If I didn't clean the skillet / Dutch oven soon after cooking and food is stuck on, I just spray it with a little water to moisten the food bits, come back a few minutes later & hit it with that oxo brush head.

Care:

After using, or cleaning (if I happened to leave it out for a bit), I just quickly scrub it clean with the above mentioned brush, & then sit it on a burner (medium / low heat) for 5 minutes.....I always set a timer. Try to remove it from the heat just barely before/after you see smoke to figure out how long to leave it heating/drying on your setup.

After it's dry, I take about 1 Tbsp of avocado or EVOO & wipe each pan with its own paper towel.... inside, out, & the handle.

I save the oiled paper towels to start my chimney.

How I start my chimney:

I save the paper towels in a 1 gallon ziplock bag in a kitchen cabinet, and when I'm ready to start some coals I'll light one under my chimney to start the charcoals, two if I'm in a hurry although I don't think there's any time difference :)

I have a OTP (one touch platinum) I got from craigslist back in ~2008 - it's the same as a performer but it doesn't have the gas assist.

Placing you container of honey that has crystallized into a hot water bath or heated in a microwave will turn it back into usable honey.
To prevent honey from recrystalizing after heating, Cook's Illustrated says to add 2 tsp of light corn syrup per 1 cup of honey. The different glucose structure of corn syrup keeps the honey fluid and clear.

Yup, a hammer and a large and I mean large screwdriver can fix anything. Used to love tricking my customers by grabbing my over 3 foot screwdriver and walk towards their car. The looks were hilarious.

Another trick: Put 2 glass marbles in the pot when filling it. They will clatter when the water comes to a boil. Scoop them out before adding food. I was going to try it but didn't want to buy a whole bag of marbles. Of course not filling the pot so full would help too. :)

I use apple juice/cider, pineapple juice in a lot of my marinades and recipes. I hate buying a quart bottle for just a 1/2 cup of juice. Barb had the idea of putting the leftover juice into her mini muffin pan which has 24 1/4 cup capacity cups and freezing them.
We've done this for about two years and it works great just freeze the juice and put them in a zip lock and into the freezer. Need a half cup just take two pucks out and defrost.

Back