Kingsford's new formula

S.Six

TVWBB All-Star
It seems to me that the new bags of kbb really smoke up a lot when starting my wsm minion method. I've tried putting the lid on and waiting till the smoke clears, but it just keeps smoking like crazy till all the coals are engaged. didn't the old stuff clear up after a little while?

I really haven't noticed much difference between the old and new, other than the bag is smaller. :)

I've noticed no difference either. As for the size of the bags, I think some of that has to do with the big retailers and their desired price point. Personally I like the 15 pounders if the price is right.

As for the size of the bags, I think some of that has to do with the big retailers and their desired price point. Personally I like the 15 pounders if the price is right.
At least initially when they make a change like this, there is no change in bag size, but there is a change in bag weight due to formula changes (e.g. lighter materials) and design changes (e.g. adding grooves). Both old and new bags are said to contain the same number of briquets. Now, what they do a year or two down the road after the change is a different story. Perhaps they round an 18.6 pound bag down to 18 pounds.

As for smoke, I've not noticed a big difference.

I lit two full baskets of the new stuff last night, shut off the gas assist as soon as the bottom ones had a little fire.
Just the normal Kbb start up smoke, then very little smoke while the others came to life.

im a pretty loyal kingsford user and have rolled with all their changes over the years in bags, weights, briquette recipe and design... but since the most recent change this year ive definitely noted several changes: A) my briquettes no longer burn completely out... they have previously always burned completely out, every time usually without exception... and ive changed nothing in my methods. B) they generate a lot more ash, and its a heavy ash, there is more ash in the bottom of my pits and my ash pans fill quicker and sooner. do they cook the same? yes, I havent noticed a difference here. do they last as long? well yes and no. yes in time/duration but no in they don't burn as evenly and as I said above some go out instead of burning out and I have to stoke or add more coal on cooks where I normally have not.

do any of yall have comments or notes or observations? im a heavy user - currently I have over 70 bags in my garage. so id really be interested to hear from others out here since now weve all had time to notice any changes.

thanks for any other replies.

don't lift the lid...

My last cook was with the new stuff, I didn't notice any differences.
I could tell the fire ring was not as full, and I was a little concerned that the reduced bag weight would cut my burn time.
As it turned out the burn time was about the same too.
I only adjusted the intake vent once in that 12+ hour cook, maybe the new stuff was responsible for that? :wsm:
There was plenty of charcoal left over after I shutdown the cooker too.
I have no complaints about the new stuff at this time.

Since the 22"WSM has plenty of room under the fire grate I have never worried about the amount of ash a ~20# bag produces. When the cooker is cold I put a lawn leaf bag over the top of the bottom section, flip it upside down and the ash is gone.

I've actually started using lump more sense I've found some pretty good stuff for $12 for a 40lb bag.

im a pretty loyal kingsford user and have rolled with all their changes over the years in bags, weights, briquette recipe and design... but since the most recent change this year ive definitely noted several changes: A) my briquettes no longer burn completely out... they have previously always burned completely out, every time usually without exception... and ive changed nothing in my methods. B) they generate a lot more ash, and its a heavy ash, there is more ash in the bottom of my pits and my ash pans fill quicker and sooner. do they cook the same? yes, I havent noticed a difference here. do they last as long? well yes and no. yes in time/duration but no in they don't burn as evenly and as I said above some go out instead of burning out and I have to stoke or add more coal on cooks where I normally have not.

do any of yall have comments or notes or observations? im a heavy user - currently I have over 70 bags in my garage. so id really be interested to hear from others out here since now weve all had time to notice any changes.

thanks for any other replies.

don't lift the lid...

X2.

Smoked a chuckie in the 14.5 & it was a 270* cook & had to shake down the coal ring after 4 hours. Never had to do that before. Lots of ash in the bottom chamber.
Did a Dutch oven cook & examining the coals/ashes several hours later.... every briquette was not completely burned.
***?

The longest I have done on the new stuff is 6 hours and really didn't notice a difference. I will be doing a long cook here within the next few weeks and we test it then.

Back