Kettle Pizza

Man, those zzas look good...I'm going to have to try the KP soon...I bought it last fall but have yet to use it.

No photos sorry. We did a little different. Instead of straight on the grates we used my 2 Lodge CI griddles. The large 2 burner one and the single burner one. I got them hot on the grill. a tiny bit of evoo and assembled the pizzas on the hot griddles. Not easy but delicious. The dough again was very soft and loose. We could not figure out why. As this time we did not slip up and use 00 flour but AP flour (King Arthur Organic). Discovered it was due to the instant rise Pizza Yeast. Apparently it's formulated to not need a rise time. Roll it out place it in the vessel or in the shape to bake it in and it rises while baking. Makes for a very spongy loose dough. No more of that stuff. I think it uses baking powder in the yeast. Since it activates with heat. Next time good old fashioned yeast. Still was very nice though

Yep that's a lagunitas, ahh man I haven't had hop stoopid in a long time.
I didnt make the pesto, I bought it from a italian deli, it's better than I can make.
Arun your story about the pizza peel and obsticales is hilarious. No issues like that for me. Couple of times getting off the peel on to the stone were tough. Even with corn meal.

Pozzas went between 8 to 10 minutes I think but didnt really check time. I used cowboy lump in a c shape, covered with lit kingsford pro. Used a post oak split for wood.
Yes I can see this being very addictive

Couple of times getting off the peel on to the stone were tough. Even with corn meal.
This was one of the hardest parts for me.

The most recent time, I baked the crust on the steel without the toppings for a few minutes. Then took it out, put the toppings on. After that, the transfer was much easier.

How do you get yours very thin? I've hand stretched mine, and I can't get it thin like this. It doesn't bother me too much, but I'd still like to know what I could do differently.
This was the thinnest I've been able to get them. I got the balls out of the fridge a couples hours before and kinda flatten them a bit, made it easier to stretch later.

This was the thinnest I've been able to get them. I got the balls out of the fridge a couples hours before and kinda flatten them a bit, made it easier to stretch later.

How did you flatten it? By hand or rolling pin? I haven't used a rolling pin so far, have just used my hands.

Nice looking pie, i had considered buying a kettle pizza set up many years ago but just couldn't part with the money Lol,i personally use the Weber pizza stone set on my jumbo Joe which works very well for me, but don't get discouraged it's all about what works for you there is always some trial and error and what i like to call the learning curve so don't give up! there are many people on this forum who use the kettle pizza set with very good results, there is really Nothing like pizza 🍕on a charcoal grill🤤.

No photos sorry. We did a little different. Instead of straight on the grates we used my 2 Lodge CI griddles. The large 2 burner one and the single burner one. I got them hot on the grill. a tiny bit of evoo and assembled the pizzas on the hot griddles. Not easy but delicious. The dough again was very soft and loose. We could not figure out why. As this time we did not slip up and use 00 flour but AP flour (King Arthur Organic). Discovered it was due to the instant rise Pizza Yeast. Apparently it's formulated to not need a rise time. Roll it out place it in the vessel or in the shape to bake it in and it rises while baking. Makes for a very spongy loose dough. No more of that stuff. I think it uses baking powder in the yeast. Since it activates with heat. Next time good old fashioned yeast. Still was very nice though

Nice tip on using the Lodge CI griddle. I have the 2 burner one, and I'm going to see if it will fit on my 22" kettle.

1. i always finish mine under the broiler, as i like my cheese a little darker than you have it.
2. to have an easy transfer of the pizza, use parchment paper under the pizza. it makes your life SO easy.

Here's how I do pizza on the grill:

Did I mention that I LOVE pizza on the grill. We have had friends and family over and had a pizza party where everyone makes their own pizza. It is ALWAYS a hit! We supply the rolled dough and dishes of toppings and they pick and choose.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53 :wsm:

No photos sorry. We did a little different. Instead of straight on the grates we used my 2 Lodge CI griddles.
Is that the Lodge CI Pizza 14" Round Pan? If so, How do you like it? Mine arrive last week and still need to give it a trial run.

Last edited:
No it was a regular Lodge CI griddles. I have a square Lodge griddle single burner and I have the 2 sided 2 burner. Those are what I used

Back