Kentucky Style Lamb Shoulder

Jerome D.

TVWBB All-Star
I've been wanting to try Kentucky style BBQ for quite some time, so I thawed out a couple lamb shoulders I had in the freezer. The cook was done on the red SS Performer using lump charcoal as the fuel and pecan wood for smoke. For the "black dip" BBQ sauce, I followed this recipe from the AmazingRibs website. Overall, I was satisfied with the end result, and it was a nice change of pace from the usual ribs, pulled pork, and brisket. Thanks for checking out the pictures, and have yourselves a nice week!

I don't know where I can get mutton in my neck of the woods, so lamb shoulders would have to do for this cook. For seasoning, I tried the new Game On rub from Dizzy Pig, anticipating that the lamb shoulders would probably taste a little gamey. Smoked the shoulders until an internal temperature of 160°F, then wrapped in foil until they reached 200°F internal, followed by a one hour rest in a styrofoam cooler. In terms of cooking, the lamb shoulders behaved similarly to how pork butt cooks.

Here are some plated shots of the lamb after it was pulled. If you don't like Worcestershire sauce, then Kentucky black BBQ sauce isn't for you. I found that the Worcestershire combined with the acidity of the vinegar & lemon juice, plus the sweetness of the brown sugar, paired well with the gamey/fatty/smoky flavor of the pulled lamb.

Hi Jerome, great looking cook!

What were your approx. cooking temp&times, and how moist was the lamb when pulled?

Boned lamb shoulders or bone in??

Very nice lamb cook. Sammie looks real guud.
I have had lamb several times over the years, I am sure that yours would have been the best.

That looks exceptionally good. I've never had Kentucky barbecue, but the recipe for that "black dip" sauce looks awesome.

I don't think I've ever seen pulled lamb before, what a great idea. The black dip sounds amazing, thanks for the link. Congrats on that cook Jerome, it looks spot on!

Thank you everyone for the flattering compliments - much appreciated!

Hi Jerome, great looking cook!

What were your approx. cooking temp×, and how moist was the lamb when pulled?

Boned lamb shoulders or bone in??

@Stephen R: I used boneless lamb shoulders, cooked at 275°F for about 7 hours (5 hours smoking plus another 2 hours wrapped in foil). The meat was quite moist when pulled, flavor and texture reminded me of a well-braised lamb shank.

Back