Keep Rich and Barb in our thoughts...

Mike Willis

TVWBB All-Star
...and prayers. There's a 25,000 acre wildfire burning in Prescott, AZ and it's only 1% contained. There are mass evacuations in the whole area. I pm'd Rich yesterday but haven't heard back. Let's hope they are safe and hopefully far enough away from harm.

...and prayers. There's a 25,000 acre wildfire burning in Prescott, AZ and it's only 1% contained. There are mass evacuations in the whole area. I pm'd Rich yesterday but haven't heard back. Let's hope they are safe and hopefully far enough away from harm.
The good news (if you can call it that) is the area burning is Prescott (forest area) and not Prescott Valley, which is where Barb & Rich live (I believe) we'll keep them in our prayers for sure.

Just heard back from Rich. The town of Meyer is under evacuation notice and ChuckO is right, Rich and Barb are in Prescott Valley - they're right next to Meyer. Hopefully Rich will keep us updated here on the forum.

Good news Barb and I are fine and the Goodwin fire although not contained there seems to be optimism by the firefighters. They believe the worst is over and they hopefully will have containment by 7/4. The mandatory evacuation in Meyer has been lifted and folks are able to go back to their homes although some don't have power. There still is mandatory evacuations in place in some of the smaller areas deeper into the forest.
Where we are is between Prescott and Meyer. It's not over yet 25,000 acres have been scorched so far and 650 emergency personal are still battling the blaze, but it looks like they are controlling the part that jumped Hwy 69 from the forest side into the town of Meyer.

If anything changes I'll post it on here.

Thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers.

Rich & Barb

We have been wondering about Rich & Barb too. Glad that they are out of harms way. And hope that it stays that way for them.
We too are in a fire area. Not close to us, but not too far from my Dad. He is okay and not under the pre-evac notice at this time.
It needs to start raining soon. Like yesterday. Stay safe everyone.

Crap, I just read this. Glad when I got down and saw Rich's update that they are OK. We live in fear of this sort of emergency each year. A few years ago the Jones Fire missed our place by about a mile as the crow flies. I know first hand what Rich and Barb must be going through. Hang in there.

This is the status as of this morning on Friday.

State emergency officials announced Thursday that the Goodwin Fire is now 43 percent contained and they reopened Highway 69 on Friday morning from the Interstate 17 to Prescott.

The smoke plume is much smaller then yesterday and it appears the now 1000 personal fighting this monster are winning the battle

Hats off to these courageous people who definitely go into harms way to try and protect the lives and property of those affected by these horrible fires.

Four years ago today 19 members of the Granite Mountain Hot Shots lost there lives about 10 miles from where these folks are fighting this fire. These wild fires are killers.

Four years ago today 19 members of the Granite Mountain Hot Shots lost there lives about 10 miles from where these folks are fighting this fire. These wild fires are killers.

How true! I still haven't got over the Gatlinburg, TN, fires that claimed so many.

This month is the five-year anniversary of the NC Air National Guard crash that claimed 5 crew members fighting wildfires out west too.

Here's a picture of the fire from last Thursday from 20,000 feet. Where we live is about a little more than halfway up on the left side of the picture. as of today it's still about 45% contained and about 1200 now fighting the fire and three large air tankers. About 26,000 acres consumed.
35632977346_1968d84571_z.jpg

Last edited:

Back