keep or sell?

Scot H

Made my way back to charcoal last year, finding WSM 18", blue kettle, and performer - all on Craigslist. Then found a Q1200 at Target for 1/2 price.

Used the blue kettle, and the WSM almost exclusively. Used the performer sparingly, and never got the Q1200 out of the box. Have much benefitted from the experience and recipes on the board. Lots of smoked salmon, and a wonderful brisket on first try for Christmas meal.

Thinking about getting rid of the performer since I so rarely used it, and it is taking up good deck space. I know most people love their performer, but I tended to start my charcoal in a chimney (no baskets) anyway.

Also thinking about getting rid of the Q1200. Bought it thinking it would be nice to have gas convenience during the colder months, but it was never a big deal to just use the kettle.

For people that have all of these - how do you use the multiples? People with both charcoal and gas - when are you using gas vs. charcoal.

Any thoughts on keeping or culling?

Thanks to all

I have much the same setup as you and I use the Q quite often for grilling vegetables or for quick burgers and dogs. My Performer is the Platinum with the gas starter. It uses the same cylinders as the Q. I use it to light baskets or a chimney. Very convenient.

Well lets see, I may be the wrong guy to ask as I have nine grills. I do use them all though. I have two performers one is dedicated to the pizza kettle. I have a Gasser kettle (Yes it's Weber 22.5 fired by propane) best whole chicken cooker ever. A NG E320 Gasser, that's my long haul winter cooker, never runs out of gas. A Ducane three burner with infrared back burner that's my rotti grill. My 1999 1000 LX I bought new which is restored and at the moment is in retirement. A Smokey Joe which is the burger, chop, steak cooker for quick easy dinners if I want charcoal or a little smoke. A mini and an 18.5 WSM for the smoking chores.
Also my wife uses them all too.
So with that I don't think you can have to many tools to do the fun cooks we do. But if you're tight on space pick your favorites and be happy. Oh the only grill I ever got rid of was the Q100 we had and I don't miss that one at all.

Last edited:
Just depends on how much space you have and secondly how much you're using it. Space is not an issue for me so I can dedicate a couple of my kettles to my Kettle Pizza and my Mojoe Griddle. I love my performer and wouldn't part with it.

If I had the choice to keep a regular kettle or a performer, the performer would stay, if for no other reason than the side table is nice
to have for work space. Your Q might be fun for breakfast with a little griddle if you were to try it.

I switch stuff all the time, was only charcoal for a few years but added a S330 this year and retired one kettle, may add a performer now. Just have fun, cheap Hobby whatever you decide to do! Guys got to eat!

Thanks all for the comments. Maybe I just need to expand my deck!

Performer people - do you usually light charcoal in baskets, loose, or in a chimney?

Side question - I have smoked burgers on the wsm, but not sure I ever really found a how to. Anybody seen a how-to/time guideline?

When using my performer I light my charcoal using a chimney over the gas assist. I let the gas go for about five minutes or so and then turn the gas off and wait until the charcoal is properly lit. I hardly ever use the baskets.

Personally I would keep the performer before getting rid of the kettle.

I have a Smokey Joe, a kettle & a Performer. The kettle is set up exclusively with a firebrick for low & slow bbq. I use the Performer & it's baskets, for all my hh cooks. I LOVE the gas assist. After grilling on the Performer, I close all the vents so I can re-use coals for the next cook. I haven't touched the Smokey Joe since I got the Performer.
I also have a chimney that I use to help start coals for low & slow on the kettle. I've gotten so lazy/spoiled, that I put the chimney in the performer to light the coals. Did I mention that I LOVE the gas assist?!? Then I transfer the coals in the chimney to the kettle.
Best of luck on your decision.

I use the baskets most of the time but I light my coals in my chimney if I need more than the baskets can hold or doing direct.

Performer people - do you usually light charcoal in baskets, loose, or in a chimney?

Helpful Hack
If you light briquettes in a chimney using a gas Performer, here's a tip I picked up from someone here on the board: pop out the cone inside the chimney and flip it over. That way the briquettes will be very close to the flame and light much faster.

Jeff

My performer was prior to the availability of the gas assist ignition so, I have always used a chimney (2 sheets of the only thing the Kalamazoo gazette is good for) and baskets. If I need a long cook time, either add extra coals to the baskets before dividing the chimney between, if I remember. With the top closed down to about half, I have gotten very good results for about three hours before needing to feed the fire. Start, load, go to church and reload coals when I get home.

Well, I didn't see them in stores with assist until the following year, mine didnt have the charcoal bin yet either. The table is about the same length, a buddy of mine picked his (with igniter) up the following summer.
Between a flat wind storm taking out fences,on both sides of my yard and sending pickets into the lid and, my granddaughter testing the strength of the fiberglass with some of her light weight, I have had to do some replacement/repair projects. I have it almost got it tuned in now.

If you're not using the Q (and don't plan on using it), I'd sell it. If you are using your other grills, leave them well enough alone. If space on the patio is an issue, you could always store them in a shed or garage. You could even store it under the patio.

I got my Dad hooked on charcoal, but he only uses it for steaks. After he cooks on it he waits 48 hours (for the charcoal to be stone cold), dumps the ashes and washes (yes, WASHES) his kettle with soap and water, then places it in the garage and covers it.

The grill is 2 years old, but seriously looks brand new!

Back