Kansas City Style Cheesy Corn

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I'd never heard of cheesy corn until I read about it in the August/September 2020 issue of Cook’s Country magazine. They did a version inspired by the cheesy corn bake sold at Jack Stack Barbecue in KCMO. Apparently it's a popular side dish at many Kansas City barbecue joints. Kind of like mac & cheese but using corn, and more liquid-y. I can only imagine how good this might be during fresh corn season!

kansas-city-style-cheesy-corn-3.jpg

kansas-city-style-cheesy-corn-8.jpg

kansas-city-style-cheesy-corn-9.jpg

kansas-city-style-cheesy-corn-10.jpg

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/kansas-city-style-cheesy-corn/

Well, Julia Child would sure approve of the butter in the recipe! :) Looks tasty, Chris! I'd bet it is even better with fresh, sweet corn. Nobody in this family likes corn as much as me, but that's fine, I could probably eat most/all of that.

R

Oh yeah, this is good. Usually make it in individual ramekins or disposable tpot pie tins. Good stuff.

Rich, I thought it was butter, too, but it's actually cream cheese! Which surprised me, because it seems like butter would be quite at home in this dish.

I wonder if it could be thickened by baking before finishing it under the broiler.

A staple of our Thanksgiving spread is mac n cheese with corn (saved/frozen from the summer) added.

Even though our dish lacks the cream cheese and bacon of this one, our family name for our dish pretty much tells you the story -- Fat Pat Casserole. So good.

Think we still have some left over in the fridge...

It is AMAZING! We made it at the American Royal BBQ Comp a few years ago. Mix in some smoked brisket chunks and you will love it.

Back