Kālua Pork, Huli Huli Chicken, and Grilled Bourbon Glazed Pineapple

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
In Hawaiʻi, Luau is a celebration or party for special occasions such as a birthday, graduation, wedding, etc. Today, at the Pannell home, we are having a Independence Day Luau to celebrate the our Nation's Birthday. But... not having any Hawaiʻian red salt or banana leaves at the local market and not taking the initiative to order them online since we've known we are going to do this for two weeks, we decided to redneck it up a bit and use Kosher salt and cabbage leaves. We did have Worcestershire and Soy sauce, ginger root, and pineapple so we added that on a Costco boneless pork butt for our version of Kālua Pork à la Alabama.

I started a clean burning Alabama koa wood fire (aka Royal Oak Lump) and assembled my Imu that looks remarkably like a WSM cooker. We are planning for 80% rain today so I deployed the Dallas Cowboys Blue EZ-UP for wet wx opns, connected my iPhone to the iGrill, poured myself a cup of joe, sat back and let the fun begin. Though a rainy day, the cooker needed very little help but the cooler of beer did so I applied my skill as required.

Sometime in the day, I mixed up my Huli Huli chicken marinade and let the drums and thighs go for a swim. About an hour before the Luau I fired up the OTS and started turning the chicken parts. I finished off the cook with some bourbon glazed grilled pineapple.

Add a little slack-key guitar music on CD and a few Mai Tai(s) and, despite the rain, everyone thought they were in the islands.

I hope you all had a great time today on America's birthday as did this clan. Remember that there are rough men that stand ready so we can sleep safely in our beds at night.

Nice cook Dwain.
I'm at the lake and I'm wearing my Dallas Cowboys jersey and I'm getting go cowboys!!
And America's team!!!

w0w!

Dwain, what a FUN and ENTERTAINING post!
I LOVE IT! You were sooo into this, it SHOWS!
...and assembled my Imu that looks remarkably like a WSM cooker...
AWESOME!!
After enjoying such an outstanding day that we've had, reading this post made it oh-so much more fun to be here!
Thank you Dwain for sharing your party with us!

Great looking cook. Kalua Pork and Huli Huli chicken has been on my list forever. How did yours turn out with your substitutions?

Dwain, what a FUN and ENTERTAINING post!
I LOVE IT! You were sooo into this, it SHOWS!
AWESOME!!
After enjoying such an outstanding day that we've had, reading this post made it oh-so much more fun to be here!
Thank you Dwain for sharing your party with us!

Thanks! I achieved my goal!

Awesome. Looks like very "ono grinds, braddah"! Took me back to the islands, speaking of which I will be in Kailua-Kona starting the 26th. It's pretty sweet when your wife's family is from the Big Island and there's all the aunties and uncles to see :) Will def be grilling while we're there.

BTW, the Hawaiian word for BBQ is pulehu. :cool:

Awesome. Looks like very "ono grinds, braddah"! Took me back to the islands, speaking of which I will be in Kailua-Kona starting the 26th. It's pretty sweet when your wife's family is from the Big Island and there's all the aunties and uncles to see :) Will def be grilling while we're there.

BTW, the Hawaiian word for BBQ is pulehu. :cool:

Thanks Frank. Have a blast. I know I did on my visits.

Back