I've walked 4 miles

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Four miles total over the last eight straight days. :)
Started walking on Jo's treadmill last Friday, 1/2 mile a day.
That's not a lot, but I've been sedentary for way too long now.
It's an easy trap when you retire.
Cold of winter and heat of summer doesn't help my activity either.
Heck, might even lose a little weight, I hope.

Good for you Bob! I understand how you feel and I’m facing the same thing. I had a knee replacement recently and figured the timing was perfect for PT and walks. Then I needed surgery for a hernia so the PT was put on hold. Now here we are in winter and walking is a job to say the least. No tread mill but we do have a stationary bike so I’ve just started that. I’m a little younger than you, (69 in March), but this getting old is hard work sometimes. :) Hell, I even stopped grilling and BBQ for a while. :( Keep it up Bob, you’ll be glad you did.

Oh! If you want to send me that Santa Maria, I'll be happy to find it a good home. At your age, it's way too much work. :)

That's great Bob, when I was in a six week cardio rehab class at our local hospital at the six week mark I was doing 4 miles a day on the treadmill which for me was a real milestone. Along with many other pain inducing machines I used in the 3 hour workout session. Had to give it up for awhile due to the leg surgeries I just had. You will notice a difference although nothing dramatic for me mostly just a higher energy level.
As far as weight loss I wasted away down to a ton.:p

Walking is great exercise - it doesn't even have to be at a brisk pace.

Keep at it! I try to take Roxy out for a walk a couple times per week for an hour, we'll mix in some sprints & run hills if given the chance.

I had a couple 3 hour layovers @ the Denver airport in early October. I napped for a while, & then I figured I wasn't going to get any exercise so I walked around the airport for an hour each time.

I haven't had any exercise since last Saturday, I just did most of a P90X chest&back workout a few minutes ago. I was doing real well until I hurt myself pretty bad (skateboard) last August... I was doing good again up until the Christmas / New Years holidays when I decided it'd be a good idea to drink almost every night - that along with the Christmas candy put back all the weight I'd lost.

edit:>>
Have you considered weight training?

Mark Rippetoe was one of the founders (I think) of Cross fit but he's against their methods. I got his book and videos, I lifted quite a bit last year but quit after a minor "hurt" knee after lifting after skiing all day (pop - kept me out for a few days or a week is all). I was beefing up too much anyway.

There are little old ladies who follow his program......

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mark+rippetoe

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement guys, same back to you!

I walked plenty back in my 37 years of surveying, often times packing equipment up and down hills, through mud, etc.
So I guess walking lost its glamour.

Rolf, being younger by a month is nothing to gloat over. :p

You get an "ATTABOY" from me Bob! I'm realizing (after my first year of retirement) just how much I exercised at the hospital...moving patients from stretchers to tables, walking all over to get them and take them back to their room, etc. Plus, we had Cody (our Rotty mix) at the time as well - he'd keep me busy walking him when the weather permitted. No way I'm going back to work, but getting another dog (or dogs) is getting closer every day!

Keep up the good work Bob! :D

oh , Bob < you are so right. its easy to fall into that pattern of sitting way too much. I've always hated "exercise" and relied on physical labor to keep my weight somewhat in check (with varying success)
Now that I'm retired its even more of a struggle. but never mind that...good for you. keep on truckin. carrying that big lens around this spring will probably help some too.
more power to ya , brother. ;)

........If you take it outside and want an activity tracker, I've used runkeeper for >3 years.

it's a free phone app that tracks most types of activities. (gps, time, distance, elevation gain/loss, heart rate if you connect a HRM to your phone)

https://runkeeper.com/

Kudos! I've heard that those fitness bands are helpful. A nurse I know doesn't go to bed unless she's done a certain number of steps per day. Goes to show there's no need for fancy gadgets - just something that counts steps is enough to motivate.

Keep up the great work Bob.
We usually walk the dogs every day, till we got all the snow and then the cold weather we have had since Christmas.
We got our exercise shoveling snow around the house & off of it.

Thanks again for the encouragement everyone!

Update:
Just finished my 12th straight day, 6 miles total, woo hoo! :)
Still doing only 1/2 mile a day, but have upped the speed from 2 to 2.5 mph, and thrown in some arm workouts with 3 lb. dumbbells.
One benefit (I assume from the walking) is that the osteoarthritis in my neck is much better, and my overall mood is better.

does that treadmill have a cup holder on it?

I hate exercise equipment that has no place to set my cocktail on.

....and, can my treadmill face hers??

2A7A579300000578-3158486-image-a-1_1436735635321.jpg

Agree with Clint go for the duration at a moderate pace. When I was doing 4 miles at the end of my cardio rehab I was doing 3.5 for about 40 minutes then down to 3 then a cool down of 2 to finish. Dang near killed me. But it was a goal I wanted to reach, but way over my head for my age.

Back