It's finally finished!

I now have a dry place (if there is such a thing in Oregon) to BBQ, anytime of the day or night!

(And to top it off, the Summit Kamado arrived this afternoon and I got it assembled in time for the picture.)

There are still some things to do; gutter, then trim and paint. But it's usable as-is, and that's the most important thing.

bbq-area.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on finishing your project Grant! If I could squeeze something like that into my backyard I certainly would!

I bought my E6 about 4 weeks ago and have completed a handful of cooks. There's a little bit of a learning curve vs. the standard kettle, but I'm getting the hang of it. Feel free to compare notes. There are several E6 owners on the forum who've got more experience.

Congrats on finishing your project Grant! If I could squeeze something like that into my backyard I certainly would!

I bought my E6 about 4 weeks ago and have completed a handful of cooks. There's a little bit of a learning curve vs. the standard kettle, but I'm getting the hang of it. Feel free to compare notes. There are several E6 owners on the forum who've got more experience.
Thanks!

I've only got 4 cooks on mine so far, and none of them low-n-slow (yet). What I've noticed so far:

1) It's really efficient with charcoal. I'm using Cowboy, and every cook I've had at least 85% by volume of the charcoal left for re-use.
2) Speaking of that, it gets seriously hot even with just a little charcoal. One of my cooks I loaded it up like I would a kettle — full chimney with the charcoal grate on the top level, just below the cooking grate — and it was a furnace. It was everything I could do to keep from burning the pork chops to a cinder, even cooking indirect. I won't make that mistake again.
3) What did I learn from #2? A half-chimney of charcoal, on the bottom grate, is more than enough to cook steaks nicely.
4) It holds steady temperature incredibly well.

It's going to take a while to get the hang of this thing; it's like jumping into a Porsche 911 after driving a Miata.

LOL Grant, I did the same thing as you with the full chimney. Next time I do steaks or chops I'll try the bottom grate setting. I've done pork but and ribs and it held temps really nicely.

Use those char baskets if you like. It keeps the heat in one zone so you can indirect and then sear like a steakhouse. If you do this, your sear is at 1100°F which makes for a real nice sear and flavor. See my NY Strips as an example. Those were direct for 2 mins a side on the cast iron grate then indirect for 7-9 mins to bring to 135°.

Enjoy your setup, Grant and new grill, and John too. Can’t wait to see your cooks and learn from other E6 owners.

Looks great, I will say the roll up blinds made of water proof bamboo ect will keep the rain from blowing in, also fog and dew will keep stuff wet also. my carport I use as a grilling port lol gets fogged , rain can and will blow in also, dust will also so covers are recommended

I have been thinking about doing a gazebo (Grillzebo) for a long time but, it went deeply on the back burner, just got me thinking about this as a spring project. Hmm…

I have been thinking about doing a gazebo (Grillzebo) for a long time but, it went deeply on the back burner, just got me thinking about this as a spring project. Hmm…
It's been a great addition for us. We live on a small farm, and don't have a covered patio or a large porch, so it was either this or stop grilling at the first of October!

I use it 3 times a week (and my wife is happy she doesn't have to cook those nights.) I'd call it a game-changer, and well worth the money and effort that went into it.

How far from the house is it? I ask as I have my grills lined up on a narrow covered porch by a detached garage and I will get pretty exposed going back and forth in inclement weather, as I usually make a lot of trips back and forth when cooking. As a result I do a lot less charcoal grilling and smoking in bad weather. In our next home being built we are having a 10'x20' attached screened in porch that I am planning to have my grills on and keep me dry while cooking. On this house we do have a small screened in porch I keep the Broilmaster and sometimes the charcoal go-anywhere for a quick winter cook.

How far from the house is it? I ask as I have my grills lined up on a narrow covered porch by a detached garage and I will get pretty exposed going back and forth in inclement weather, as I usually make a lot of trips back and forth when cooking. As a result I do a lot less charcoal grilling and smoking in bad weather. In our next home being built we are having a 10'x20' attached screened in porch that I am planning to have my grills on and keep me dry while cooking. On this house we do have a small screened in porch I keep the Broilmaster and sometimes the charcoal go-anywhere for a quick winter cook.
From porch overhang to the overhang of the grillport (so named because it looks like a carport, but for grills) is about 11'.

Nice cook shack. Wonder if you would have room to put a Breeo fire pit out in front of the shack for warmth while you grill? Grill heat to your back and a fire pit to the front? I like to have a fire going on the football weekends while grilling. Wifey comes out and we enjoy the setting.

Attachments

• 466F3F57-7C13-4958-92C4-E36D8AA8B70A.jpeg
    466F3F57-7C13-4958-92C4-E36D8AA8B70A.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 2

Back