It has been too long

RJ Banks

TVWBB All-Star
It has been way too long since my last post. There has been so much going on that I have not been documenting anything I have done. Not that any of it has been that great, just standard summertime fare. The grill has been getting a lot of use but the smoker was being treated like the red headed step child :(.

I was able to get a pretty good deal on pork butts and chuck roasts the other day so I decided today would be the day to show my smoker how much I still care. Wife and I decided to smoke all four butts and the two chuck roasts I got and vacuum seal them for meals later. Two of the butts are getting done Harry Soo style. One is getting done as Bacon Covered Kalua Pork injected with some Honey Kolsch that I made. The last just has a salt and pepper rub that will be chunked and made into, tacos al pastor. The chuck roasts were covered in Tatonka Dust and will be wrapped later in beef consommé and used for french dips.

Here is when it all went on. Other two butts are on the bottom rack along with some store bought italian sausages.

Will update later in the process.

Last edited:
I know how you feel bro. im one of those that have been neglecting my "forum" life. But im glad your back bro! And im looking forward to that smoke!

Well, RJ, you sure know how to catch up. Looks fantastic. Went on a shopping spree myself recently and padded my stash. Thank gosh for my Food Saver and two freezers!

Been missing your cooks RJ butt looks like you're catching up, I hope your son is doing well. I'm going to keep an eye on this post.

Thanks guys. James, he is doing really well. He is about halfway thru his first of three nuke schools. They have already lost about 25% of the people they started the class with, but he is doing well on his tests so far.

Well that's one way to make up for lost time, looking forward to the results. Glad to here your son is doing well!

Here is how it was looking when I opened the lid after 5 hours. I put the chuck roasts in a pan with the beef consommé, beer and onions. The two butts got wrapped with beer, butter, thai sweet chili sauce and hot sauce. They are all back on the smoker for a few more hours. Its all smelling amazing! Can't wait until its time to tear into it (cooks sample time;)) and get to packaging.

Okay, it turned out to be a long day. I pulled my beef too soon. It was done but still a little tough. Still not sure why, the Maverick along with Thermopen both showed internal temp of 205. Oh well, I cut it up, put it back in the liquid and put it in the oven for another hour. Not too bad after that.

The Harry Soo style butts got done while I was out helping a friend. Before I got back the wife had already removed and shredded them. God love that woman. I really dislike that part, lol.

The Bacon Kalua Pork never got wrapped in foil. I just left it on and let it go. And boy did it go...for 17.5 hours. It stayed between 172 and 175 for 7 of those hours. I never had one act this way before and started to worry. Worry then turned to curiosity to see what would actually happen. Well at 1:30 in the morning the Maverick went off. Turns out it wasn't going off for the meat but the smoker temp. Meat was only showing 190 at that time. I decided to just pull it off and wrap it. Then wrapped in a towl and put into one of those hot/cold food bags from Sam's Club and went back to bed. When I got up the wife was already at it again and I had to get this pic real quick?

This pork is out of this world and so simple. It is great by itself but I can't wait to use it to make other dishes with. It was like butter in her fingers and the bacon may look burnt, but it was far from it. I highly recommend this.

Last edited:
Great to be looking at your posts again, RJ. Everything in the cook looks outstanding. Beautiful smoke ring on the beef!

Back