Is this an emergency?

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
FSPk44Xl.jpg

I think this spigot had a slight leak. I'm not sure when this weather is supposed to get above freezing. I looked in my crawlspace and I don't see any water in there. There's no internal cut off valve. This weather is crazy for this area. That hose is not connected. I tried to thaw that ice with a hair dryer. I think I'd be there all day. That hose was not connected. I've got these vents around the house I'm trying to cover with duct tape. It looks like they at one point had covers. There's a screw in the middle where a wing nut could be fastened, but the vents are a weird old size.

It could be a anti syphon hose bib. I had one and it started to leak like crazy when it got super cold out.
Luckily I have an interior shut off.

Dustin, if the spigot is leaking, that may actually be saving you. A common trick in colder climates is to keep taps running at a slow trickle during cold snaps. The water motion in the pipes does 2 things: the first is that moving water doesn't freeze, and it's a continual supply of warmer water.

Well the good thing is if that pipe bursts it just leaks into the crawl space. We just never really have to winterize around here. 20 degrees is about as cold as it gets. It's supposed to get even colder later this weekend. I'm not sure when it will get above freezing.

You want to watch it because you have brick veneer. That's 3 1/2" of brick plus a 1" airspace. Water in the airspace you should see coming out the weeps.

Mine is a frostless so the shutoff extends in side about 12" . It's in a conditioned space so no worries about freezing.

Mine is like yours Timothy. Valve is way back in the basement, that’s not an issue for me. The City is telling folks to leave a tap streaming about a 1/4” until Tuesday here! I have one line that is on an outside wall that has frozen some in the past. I’m leaving that cabinet open for The Weekend at least! Sub zero tomorrow night! Hey, it’s February in Michigan, this is what happens here. People complain about this and to be honest, I’ve seen MUCH WORSE than this most of my life. This is not to say I’m tired of it but, suck it up, it’s winter around here.

Folks, I've learned the hard way like Lynn (twice for me, no less....) that even the frost free taps have to be left open, no hose or caps. The problem isn't during the winter, it's when you turn the water on in the spring. Water that is allowed to collect in the body after the valve will freeze and split the body.

Timothy, if you restrict the outlet at all in the winter, you risk splitting the body with a freeze. That's why you do not cap the outlet at all. A slight downward pitch is only part of a proper installation & use.

I get what your saying, but mines in a plumbing wall that I opened up to service it. I replaced it a few times over 33yrs.
Instead of patching the drywall I put a metal louver ( vent) over that. It keeps it conditioned in the winter, instead of being in a dead space.
This is the third winter I capped mine and so far no problems, but tomorrow supposed to be frigid and I probably just jinxed myself.:oops:

You're also generally rather warmer. My spigot is in a [mostly] conditioned space, but we'll also get down to -20 F tonight (I expect to see this for 1-2 weeks every winter.) I'm lucky in regards to location, as it comes into the backside of the kitchen sink cabinet, it's really easy to replace. I just don't get the attraction of capping the spigot, all I see are downsides and no upsides.

I just don't get the attraction of capping the spigot, all I see are downsides and no upsides.
My frostless/anti syphon was leaking one morning ( quite a steady stream) I was able to shut it off from the inside.
I talked to a plumber at work and he recommended the cap. His reasoning was to stop the cold air from entering 12" back to the inside washer.
Like I said when installed right, any leftover water drains out of the body. Capping it and putting a insulated boot on protects the tube from cold air infiltration.

Mine split 25 years ago, or so. I've forgotten the details but we had some really cold nights that winter and I think it was just poorly insulated. I open up the closet and I've heavily insulated the entire thing. This weather we're having now is bothersome, however. I changed out that sillcock this past summer , went away from the anti-siphon because I put a timer on the faucet. Those anti-siphon can only take so much back pressure from a timer.

Our lows will be below zero, we've not been above freezing since last Monday and forecast says we won't be above freezing ill Friday. IDK how this new one is gonna hold up.

Back