Is it possible to convert freestanding Weber gas grill unit to built-in island?

Rick_Vdl

Hi all! New member here - hoping to gt some insights/feedback from those who may have looked into this before. I have a Genesis S-330 (propane, 2016) that I love. Was hoping to incorporate it into an island set-up that would also include my Kamado Joe, prep surface, etc. To be more specific, I would be looking at removing the cookbox and controls from the current grill and placing on to a metal framed island, properly insulated and vented.

The official word from Weber is that only a few of their gas grills are suitable for this type of transition - of course, the S-330 is not one of those. Has anyone else looked into doing this, and if so, how was the experience? Forgive me if there are a million threads covering this topic, I did several searches and found nothing.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I would check these threads:
There was also a recent thread on here where a guy did just that and I cannot find it now.

Anything can be done, but the manufacturer will never be able to tell you that, as it's too much of a liability for them to say it.

There are some things you need to know before you proceed.

1) safety certification of the grill will be void once you do the conversion. So if you have a grease fire that burns the house down, your home insurance company will likely deny any claims related to the modified grill. If you choose to proceed, it's up to you to mitigate the risk. Eg. Have your outdoor kitchen located away from your house and any combustible materials.

2) make sure the grill has enough space for combustion air.

3) avoid using combustible materials on the outdoor kitchen

I have a 2003/4 Summit Silver B (no side burner) and I believe that this is something that could be done with that firebox. I'm not mechanically inclined, but I think you could do it as easily as resting the firebox between 2 "shoulders" of built up cinder blocks. The firebox itself is attached to the frame with one bolt on either side of the box. The only question I would have is would that be stable enough or is there a way to attach it to the cinder blocks?

Back