Weber Genesis as built-in

Ron Sanders

I am wanting to build a grill into a brick/granite setting on my back patio. I've looked at several options. I really would prefer to use a Weber Genesis S-330, but they just don't look right with the side shelves on them like they are. Weber has a Summit model without the shelves that is marketed as a built-in, but it is way more expensive than what I can buy.

I looked online at a manual for the Genesis Island Cabinetry, and you can actually detach the side shelves to add these cabinets. My question is whether the grill is designed to operate correctly with the side shelves totally removed and nothing in their place. My main concern would be removing the one with the burner, and how that would affect the gas line that runs to it. Any ideas? I would love to hear if anyone has actually taken the shelves off.

Link to the Island Cabinetry Manual

I do see this working.
The line would have to be plugged somehow. Or maybe if safe put a gas line extention and build a single burner somewhere else on you island. Maybe mount the shelf at the end of your island.

Other concerns;

Height of cart to your countertops.
Hot air venting in the back

Also s310 without side burner, but you loose sear burner.

Ron welcome to the forum.
I am not sure about the genesis, but when I got my summit the side shelves are shipped separate and installed by you. If you dont use the shelves, like Garth said you need to cap the gas line. Good luck with your project and let us know how it turns out.

I really like the idea of the sear burner. Would you think it would be safe to operate the 330 in this manner? If its not safe, I might consider the 310. How big of a "plus" is the sear burner?

Just wanted to give an update. I went with the Genesis 330. The shelves were a piece of cake to remove. The gas line was pretty easy too. I was able to remove the quick connect from the line just below where it removes from the side burner. I capped it off with a .5" brass plug and pink teflon tape, at the recommendation of the guy at Lowe's who sold me the grill. I'm having a brick area built around it today, and I'm gonna follow up with granite countertops to replace where the shelves were. I will keep everyone updated as it goes along.

Ron,this is how i "built-in" my Genesis. I used to have some plastic drawer units on either side,but I forgot to drill holes to let the water out when it rained,so I ruined a bunch of bbq stuff!
But I'm real happy with the "doors". The one on the left is just held in place by a brick on the back,and the one on the right is attached to the floor and is hinged for easy access to my bbq tool box.
Oh yeah. Sweet Pammi Sue (SWMBO) was born and raised in western Arkansas (Ft. Smith area),so GO HOGS!
icon_biggrin.gif

Back