Injecting: I'm now a believer

Ted from Bristow

TVWBB Member
I've cooked a couple dozen butts in my 18.5 WSM so far. All have always turned out reasonably moist and delicious. I never really felt injecting would make a big difference. Last week I was walking through Target, and they had a food syringe on clearance for $2.98. Being a cheap experiment, I bought it and gave it a try. I made a mix of apple juice, water, salt, and a smidge of sugar.
VIOLA' !!! Results were amazing. Taste and texture were fantastic. I regret not trying this sooner.

I have been injecting my Boston Butts regularly (I use Harry Soo's recipe) and have been MORE than satisfied with my efforts. I will continue to inject...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I've never had an injector that worked reliably. I have a couple I was given a couple years ago, maybe I'll try to make them work.

Injections can add a lot of flavor for sure, but I wish I knew some ways to make it easier and not as messy.

I smoked a couple big butts Saturday and had I injected, my little nephew (who doesn't like condiments like BBQ sauce) might've eaten more. (The Missus doesn't allow finishing sauce unless I screw it up and dry it out.)

Other than the extra step, the only downside I've seen is the injection from butts on the top rack washing some of the rub off of butts on the bottom rack.

Now that you've tried the injection method, you should give the smoke and braise method a shot. Turns out moist and yummy.

I've always injected my butts and Saturday I injected a chuck roast for the first time I made shredded BBQ beef with beef broth, Worcestershire and garlic powder and it was really moist and tender.

Now that you've tried the injection method, you should give the smoke and braise method a shot. Turns out moist and yummy.

I've done it a couple of times. I smoked the butt for 4-5 hours then put it into a disposable braising pan (tightly covered) with some liquid to finish. VERY good technique. I actually tried it the first time when I began my smoke, only to find out that I didn't have 8-10 hours worth of charcoal on-hand (DOH!). I smoked until the smoker started to run cool, then finished in the oven. Worked out fine.
I think I like the injection a bit better because the final result is basically the same as the smoke/braise, without the added step of braising. But as winter arrives, I'm sure I'll revert to the smoke/braise method to avoid unnecessary trips to the chilly patio.

I did a butt last weekend, and injected for the 1st time. I used Chris Lilly's recipe, which I found here - http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?259...-Championship-Pork-Shoulder-injection-and-rub

Since the recipe says it was for a 16 lb shoulder, and I had an 8 lb butt, I halved it. I've done 4 butts in the 4 months I've had my 22.5. This one was far and away the best one. I injected through the top of the butt to minimize drainage, and used my own rub.

Interesting side note: my last 2 butts--bought at different times, cooked different days, both stalled at 174(per my Maverick). Not 173, not 175...174 on the nose. Both for about 3 hours...then took another 2-3 to finish.

Dave... Place your other hand around the needle as you are injecting. Saves having to clean the ceiling ;)

Dave;
As for "tips"...

I use Harry Soo's recipe and technique as outlined here:

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2012/04/slap-yo-daddy-bone-in-pork-butt-2/

I make my own Harry Soo Basic rub as outlined in the PDF from this site.

The only deviation from Harry's instructions is I put the butt (after the bark is set as he suggests) in a foil pan and tightly foil the top. The pan makes it MUCH easier to save the juices. I defat the juices and use an appropriate amount of these juices for my sauce on the pulled pork. That's about as good as it gets. My grandson is a VERY picky eater. After he almost foundered eating my "Cowboy Pulled Pork Sandwich" (plural) I asked him how he liked the sandwiches. He quickly replied, "AWESOME"!!

I rest my case...:rolleyes:

P.S. Bob's suggestion is a GOOD idea. I put the butt on a large serving tray, mentally lay out the butt in a grid pattern and inject about every 1½". I inject a good bit laterally to make sure I have good coverage. You'll find that using a tall, narrow container makes it much easier to fill the injector (I use a cheap plastic one that looks like a large needle). Watch that hole on the side of the needle - it can put injection liquid "over the moon" if you're not careful. That stuff is STICKY (be a gentleman, and don't ask me how I know:rolleyes:)..

Well worth the effort, my friend...

Keep on smokin',

Bob and Robert, thanks so much for the tips. I've injected butts many times, brisket a few times, and made a mess more times than I care to admit!

I love injecting,I have my moments where Im pressed for time but I try and make habit of injecting my butts and briskets..

I've never had an injector that worked reliably. I have a couple I was given a couple years ago, maybe I'll try to make them work.

hey Clint I had the same issues with injectors for some time until I came across the one I have now and I abuse this thing and I love it,its called the BDI (bad dude injector) I got it online from how to bbq right,Im not affiliated at all with them other than the love of bbq,just passing this along because I know good reliable tools like this are hard to find,good luck..

Dave;
As for "tips"...

I use Harry Soo's recipe and technique as outlined here:

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2012/04/slap-yo-daddy-bone-in-pork-butt-2/

I make my own Harry Soo Basic rub as outlined in the PDF from this site.

The only deviation from Harry's instructions is I put the butt (after the bark is set as he suggests) in a foil pan and tightly foil the top. The pan makes it MUCH easier to save the juices. I defat the juices and use an appropriate amount of these juices for my sauce on the pulled pork. That's about as good as it gets. My grandson is a VERY picky eater. After he almost foundered eating my "Cowboy Pulled Pork Sandwich" (plural) I asked him how he liked the sandwiches. He quickly replied, "AWESOME"!!

I rest my case...:rolleyes:

P.S. Bob's suggestion is a GOOD idea. I put the butt on a large serving tray, mentally lay out the butt in a grid pattern and inject about every 1½". I inject a good bit laterally to make sure I have good coverage. You'll find that using a tall, narrow container makes it much easier to fill the injector (I use a cheap plastic one that looks like a large needle). Watch that hole on the side of the needle - it can put injection liquid "over the moon" if you're not careful. That stuff is STICKY (be a gentleman, and don't ask me how I know:rolleyes:)..

Well worth the effort, my friend...

Keep on smokin',

Robert, while I prefer the undiluted smoke flavor and texture of the bark off a unfoiled butt, I admit that my nephew (that won't add sauce) would've preferred the Wicked Good pork that I smoked a year or so back, which was injected and wrapped. I'll have to try the Soo butt recipe as well.

Regarding the OP, y'all might've seen the video of Chris Lilly chopping and splashing vinegar sauce on his pork butts. To me, that points to the fact that while injections certainly can add some flavor, they're limited because so much of the flavor you're trying to add leaks out of the meat before and during the cook. Still though, yes, Jay, I think it's worth the effort and will be sure to do it next time the local grocer puts butts on sale. :)

The best way I know to inject so the liquid doesn't go everywhere is to have the meat in a plastic bag while injecting.

It's amazing how a plastic bag can keep your ceiling so clean.:)

Back