"If you're looking you aint cooking" has been challenged

I haven't read the article yet, but I ain't skeerd to lift the lid. If I open it just for 30 seconds the fire is stoked a bit, the meat is still where it was, and when the lid gets put back on everything balances out again right away. Say I leave the lid off for 1+ minutes, the fire will get burning even hotter and things will balance out quickly once again. The only problem I've had with lifting the lid is one time I was cooking butts or brisket or chuck (big chunk of whatever). I left it off for no more than 2 minutes & the fat in the water pan ignited. slammed the lid on & everything turned out great.

That's as close as I've come to rocket science w/ BBQ (upside-down rocket engine).

perhaps, someday, some eager engineer will think of some sorta clear smoker lid that'll make all this banter about liftin' the lid a moot point.
smoke or heat nor soot or grease n' grime will not be an obstruction to view your cook and yet, bring plenty of OOHS & AAHS from neighbors and guests...

or glasses, like the ones they advertised on the back of comic books when I was a punky kid
images

perhaps, someday, some eager engineer will think of some sorta clear smoker lid that'll make all this banter about liftin' the lid a moot point.

The first gas grill we bought had a glass window on front that we thought was so cool. "Let's get this one. It has a window!"

Of course, it worked fine for about the first 5 minutes. It was thereafter as clear as the metal that surrounded it.

I still laugh at my own naivete on that one.

There is a lot of bbq myths out there, imho 95% of myths are rubbish.

I know what you mean, but often there's SOME truth to them, or under certain conditions at least. Does it add fifteen minutes every time you take a peek? Of course not. However, let's say someone is smoking ribs on a cold and windy day, but insists on spritzing every twenty minutes. It's going to take a while. ;)

timothy nailed it. and thanks for the props yall, im honored heheh. I aint a lid-lifter hater, there might be something to the article. my angle is much more philosophical than technical - when I bbq i get to slow down and relax. its my happy place. I like to let the meat, fire and pit do their thing while I through back a few frosties and jam a few good tunes and enjoy the back porch. in the old days I lifted my lid a few times, but never found that it accomplished anything other than releasing the heat and also the precious moisture that keeps my meats juicy. ok yall know its coming ...

don't lift the lid...

If there was just one way to do things life would be boring. Experiment and see what works best for you.

I worry more about temperature *spikes* from looking in my WSM than temperature drops. Sure you ain't cookin' while the lid is actually open, but the longer you leave the lid open the more your fire stokes. If you open it at 250F, it might be closer to 300F if you leave it open for several minutes.

I worry more about temperature *spikes* from looking in my WSM than temperature drops. Sure you ain't cookin' while the lid is actually open, but the longer you leave the lid open the more your fire stokes. If you open it at 250F, it might be closer to 300F if you leave it open for several minutes.

Yep, I certainly agree. That's one reason that having handles on the mid-section is a must have mod for me. You can lift the mid-section off and place it on a pan or mat, than remove the lid and place it on the bowl to keep those spikes to a minimum. Then you have all the time you need, without rushing, while foiling,spritzing or whatever.:wsm:

Tim

timothy nailed it. and thanks for the props yall, im honored heheh. I aint a lid-lifter hater, there might be something to the article. my angle is much more philosophical than technical - when I bbq i get to slow down and relax. its my happy place. I like to let the meat, fire and pit do their thing while I through back a few frosties and jam a few good tunes and enjoy the back porch. in the old days I lifted my lid a few times, but never found that it accomplished anything other than releasing the heat and also the precious moisture that keeps my meats juicy. ok yall know its coming ...

don't lift the lid...

Im right there with you Jak.

HellsBells folks, when your spouse or ? comes out to see how the cook's going, you gotta lift the lid to at least act like you're doing something!
So pretend this is complicated people!
Seriously though, with lid up, I peek, look, eyeball, ogle, stare, glance, gaze, glare, or view when I want/need to, and it's never been a problem.

Last edited:
I don't think you should randomly take the lid off but every cook I do calls for some strategic lid lifting. Sometimes it's not for four hours but I need to add charcoal, check my internal temps, spray on apple juice, mop etc.... I closely monitor the maverick after. Doesn't seem to make any difference in cook times or anything else.

When I lift the lid it's a big event if others are around because it doesn't happen often. They get an chance to oohh and aahh once or twice, that's about it.
I think a lot depends on your self confidence doing the cook. Ribs, get 2-3 hours before the lid comes off depends on what and how I'm cooking them. Brisket at least 3 hours or more same as pork butt. Sooner with the kettle, longer with the WSM. I really don't see the need otherwise. My thermometer gives me the range I need to be in and confidence does the rest.

Back