"If you're looking you aint cooking" has been challenged

Ok I will admit it...I am a lid lifter, and not just an occasional, spritz/view either. I am one of those that just cant stand not knowing whats happening under that black dome. It drives me nuts. That being said I think I'm putting out good food, and am happy with the way I grill/smoke/BBQ.

-rog

I have read Meathead's article and find than my experience seems to pretty much mirror his recommendations. Good stuff. My Maverick tells me what is going on (when it's working) up to a point. I personally check the bark on ribs and Butts to make sure it is set before I foil. Further, I probe when it is nearing done and THAT tells me when to pull it off the smoker. Have to lift the lid for those two VERY necessary procedures so I do...

Like most things, "moderation, folks, MODERATION"...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

So if I am reading this thread right you guys smoke meats with the lid on? Wow, I never would have thought about that. :D

I lift the lid when the need arises, don't when it doesn't. I am not afraid to. When cooking in my BDS the meat has to be turned at regular intervals and I have not yet discovered a way to do that without lifting the lid.

I know what you mean, but often there's SOME truth to them, or under certain conditions at least. Does it add fifteen minutes every time you take a peek? Of course not. However, let's say someone is smoking ribs on a cold and windy day, but insists on spritzing every twenty minutes. It's going to take a while. ;)

If someone is spritzing every 20 minutes lifting the lid is the least of there problems:cool:

I almost never spritz, mop, or otherwise put liquid on the meat during the cook, so I don't lift the lid. I do, however, occasionally peek through the lid vent (using a high intensity l.e.d. flashlight) if I want to see how the meat looks. Now, if I just had one of those inspection cameras on a cable, I could snake it down through the vent for a really good look. I saw a good deal on a used one last month on Ebay, and was ready to buy it, then I found out the seller was a proctologist.

Back