If you're looking to buy a new propane tank

If you're not looking for new, you can also go the cheap route. I've taken a couple of old freebie tanks, exchanged them with Blue Rhino. I get them refilled at BJ's warehouse club, or the local RV repair shop. Last time I did that, I think that exchanges were ~ $20.00.

Grab some cheap ones on Craigslist, they are everywhere.
I’ve been using Cynch for the last year or so, free delivery and as cheap as anything else. Always bring nice new tanks.

I just found out that one of the last independent hardware stores around here fills to actual gallon used instead of a flat fee.
the “Ferrellgas” place used to, the old guy that was at the counter was great but, I guess he retired. The girls that have replaced him don’t seem to give a hoot.

I picked up a couple of "free" tanks when I was an apartment rat outside Chicago. Lot of people did not know that movers would not take propane tanks, and those tanks would get abandoned by the dumpsters.

I always buy new tanks and here's why.

With used tanks, you have absolutely no way of knowing how that tank was treated by the person who had it before you. Especially when it comes to exchange tanks, people abuse those things like you wouldn't believe. The tank could be bouncing around in the back of someone's pickup, in the trunk of their car, etc.

If you think about it, new tanks are really inexpensive. They're good for 12 years. So pay $40 or so for a new one now and you won't have to replace it for a long time. I just like the safety and piece of mind that comes with buying a new tank.

I have one new purchase tank, and three exchange tanks. They all seem to work well, but I like the gauge on my new purchase. From U-Haul. They are OK on filling it up, not as good as the feed store about 10 miles away.

I just found out that one of the last independent hardware stores around here fills to actual gallon used instead of a flat fee.
the “Ferrellgas” place used to, the old guy that was at the counter was great but, I guess he retired. The girls that have replaced him don’t seem to give a hoot.
Nice.
We have an independent around here that sells by the gallon too, along with a BJ's warehouse store that does the same.

I just picked up a 4300 watt dual fuel electric start generator new in the box from a friend that bought it for his home where they have frequent power outages. After he bought it he decided to get a much larger stationary one that can run his whole house. He paid almost $1000 for it and sold it to me for $350. The generator will run on propane or gas it comes with the regulator and hose that attaches to any 20# tank
I have about six expired propane tanks I'm going to swap out three for full ones, plus the full one I have now and dedicate them to the generator.
All my gas grills and the performer have 20# tanks attached and are current for refills.
I like the idea of propane instead of gas. I will store the propane outside and don't have to worry about gas going stale and being stored in the garage.
When Barb and I inventoried our three freezers and determined we had about $900 worth of meat in the freezers I started looking for a generator and lucked out and got this one.
With Lake Mead and Lake Powell down to such a low levels that they may not be able to run the turbine generators much longer and Az growing so fast power outages are almost certain in the future, so I want to be prepared when it happens.

Last edited:
Good thinking Rich. I hope the water issue out there gets resolved. Otherwise, it will become a much bigger issue.

With used tanks, you have absolutely no way of knowing how that tank was treated by the person who had it before you.

Granted, that is a concern. But, clean paint and no dings or scratches, seems like a deal to me. Dents? No go. Scarred tank? Nah, I'll pass. I saw enough tanks that I could afford to be rather choosy. I'll bet the garbage trucks wouldn't want them either. I never saw tanks for more than a couple of days, so someone was making them go awa.

Granted, that is a concern. But, clean paint and no dings or scratches, seems like a deal to me. Dents? No go. Scarred tank? Nah, I'll pass. I saw enough tanks that I could afford to be rather choosy. I'll bet the garbage trucks wouldn't want them either. I never saw tanks for more than a couple of days, so someone was making them go awa.
They're worth grabbing just to exchange them. I've exchanged my way up to a brand new tank before and then just kept it and refilled it.

Just scout out your local big box hardware store on a Monday. People tend to exchange or dump them on the weekends. I've picked up many and just take them down the road to walmart for an exchange.

Unless you really need a 20# for fitment issues, I would recommend getting a 30# instead....bit more up front, but they hold a lot more!! They pay for themselves over time with fewer refill trips etc.

The 20 and 30 lb tanks are not workable with a performer. Also, a 30 lb tank will not work well with a standard Genesis gas grill either.

The 20 and 30 lb tanks are not workable with a performer. Also, a 30 lb tank will not work well with a standard Genesis gas grill either.

Why not? Limitation other than size? I use mine on my S6...just use an adapter cable....do have to keep the tank on the side though,,,,

Yes, you can unless you want to be moving the grill around at all. Stationairy grills would work fine with a 100lb tank.

Bruce, I have a 20# tank hooked up to my performer. I don't move it very often but all I have to do is take off the tank and move them both and then hook up the tank again. Sure beats buying those now expensive small screw on tanks.
The20# tank that's hooked up to it now has been on it for over three years and is still half full.

One of these works great

DozyAnt 4 Feet Propane Adapter Hose 1 lb to 20 lb Converter Replacement for QCC1/Type1 Tank Connects 1 LB Bulk Portable Appliance to 20 lb Propane Tank - Certified​

Back