If you're looking to buy a new propane tank

One thing I suggest people do with an exchange tank, or a tank that is going to be refilled, is to shine a light inside the tank QCC1 fitting where the seal is and inspect it. If it is cracked like this one you will not be able to prevent it from leaking. Supposedly the propane exchange inspects and tests each tank but who knows?

20200902_162041.jpg

I know the exchange places are supposed to inspect and "internally" recertify every tank, but I think it is not as thorough as a regular state sanctioned inspection and is only good for the next sale of that tank. How well they actually do the inspections is another question, but I am sure they are monitored pretty good and open to lawsuits otherwise.

I know the exchange places are supposed to inspect and "internally" recertify every tank, but I think it is not as thorough as a regular state sanctioned inspection and is only good for the next sale of that tank. How well they actually do the inspections is another question, but I am sure they are monitored pretty good and open to lawsuits otherwise.
True enough, and there's no telling when or how that seal got cracked. I might have cracked it by over-tightening my non-QCC1 HF weed burner, who knows? I didn't find out the seal was cracked until after I got the tank refilled...not the best time to discover a cracked seal. I tried to find a relacement seal online, but no such luck. Nowadays I take a flashlight when I exchange a tank and I inspect all the seals in the tanks before refilling. Just a heads up, FWIW.

I am sure those seals are one of the points of inspection when tanks are taken in for recertification. In fact, the recertification process may require them to be replaced regardless of condition.

I am sure those seals are one of the points of inspection when tanks are taken in for recertification. In fact, the recertification process may require them to be replaced regardless of condition.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back