If I Was Going to Buy New

Yah, I suppose these companies all know that they need to build some planned absolescence into every grill or they won't have people buying new every few years.
Yup. Weber screwed that up when they built the Genesis grills. They had to build newer ones to a lesser quality to sell more. Fine line between quality and sales.

Absolescence?

Gerry

I am afraid the price point of a bullet proof grill is well over the $1K mark...But even it is of decent quality and will last for a reasonable amount of time. $1,389 on BBQGuys.com
This reminds me of a wedding planning book idea that my wife had, “How to throw a $5,000 wedding for $10,000. 😉

Unfortunately, there’s no incentive for a any manufacturer of consumer goods to make a lifetime, bulletproof item.

Unfortunately, there’s no incentive for a any manufacturer of consumer goods to make a lifetime, bulletproof item.
I suppose there is not, but basically, just stupidity makes almost any grill subject to fairly regular replacement and "you can't fix stupid". How many of us has picked up an older Weber Genesis that is really pretty decent shape, but just has a burned out igniter or burners or is so full of gunk that it comes all the way up to the burners? Just a good cleaning and 20 minutes and $25 turns that grill back into a fully functioning grilling machine.

Griddle fans ...... I also took a good look at this ....https://www.samsclub.com/p/members-...5200212?xid=pdp_carousel_rich-relevance.rr0_1

At first glance, this seems to be a pretty nice unit, albeit lots of the same low grade, powder coated metals on the frame
that I suspect will succumb to rust sooner than later. I expect this to steal some sales from Blackstone.
This competes directly with their 36" model, although the MM unit has only 47.5k btu vs the 60k btu
of the Blackstone.

I too looked at the cabinet figuring that is where they "skimped" but in comparison to a Weber cabinet I saw no difference in "quality" or lack thereof. I honestly cannot find anything about the Weber that is superior to the MM unit I checked out. Look again at the Weber without the malice toward anything non Weber. It too is thin stamped powder coated steel. Just like the MM, when I recently looked at the Genesis model on the floor at Costco the only "nicer" thing I could see about it....................lit control knobs. Big deal. Pay an extra $500. I know my bean counter in charge would be all over those lit knobs LOL
The lid is center hinged on the MM so yeah it will feel different (IMO better). Call it a Genesis rip off or what you will but I truly think they've built the better mouse trap. If someone slapped a Weber badge on that thing people would be falling all over themselves LOL

I too looked at the cabinet figuring that is where they "skimped" but in comparison to a Weber cabinet I saw no difference in "quality" or lack thereof. I honestly cannot find anything about the Weber that is superior to the MM unit I checked out. Look again at the Weber without the malice toward anything non Weber. It too is thin stamped powder coated steel. Just like the MM, when I recently looked at the Genesis model on the floor at Costco the only "nicer" thing I could see about it....................lit control knobs. Big deal. Pay an extra $500. I know my bean counter in charge would be all over those lit knobs LOL
The lid is center hinged on the MM so yeah it will feel different (IMO better). Call it a Genesis rip off or what you will but I truly think they've built the better mouse trap. If someone slapped a Weber badge on that thing people would be falling all over themselves LOL
How about spare parts? If it took Weber burners, flavorizers, grates it would be outstanding.

Not to offend Weber gasser owners, but I may move on to something else. I had a Silver B that I ran into the ground after 23 years. Anythying that mooed, clucked, oinked, flopped (fish) or vegetables/fruit came out perfect. I replaced it with a Spirit II E-310 LP two years ago and can honestly say it’s not the same as their older grills. Just lots of annoying problems. Since we are moving to Florida next month, I thought about upgrading to a Genesis II E-310 LP but now I’m now hesitating. Would like advice from you all as to what’s out their that can meet or beat a Weber gasser in the $800 price range. I’ll be grilling every day down there, so it has to hold up. Just asking.

Lucas, either rehab your own vintage weber genesis or find someone that does down there. You can buy two to three of them for what you will pay for the Genesis II and the older ones are just better grilling machines IMO. And it will most likely outlast a new Genesis II as well.
You can buy a rehabbed one and have $500 for a 1/2 of a beef to put in the freezer.

Don't dismiss it until you see what you can get for that $300. Here is what I sell for $300 or slightly more. I actually sold this in 2019 for $275, but my price last year would have been $300-$325 for that grill.

Not to offend Weber gasser owners, but I may move on to something else. I had a Silver B that I ran into the ground after 23 years. Anythying that mooed, clucked, oinked, flopped (fish) or vegetables/fruit came out perfect. I replaced it with a Spirit II E-310 LP two years ago and can honestly say it’s not the same as their older grills. Just lots of annoying problems. Since we are moving to Florida next month, I thought about upgrading to a Genesis II E-310 LP but now I’m now hesitating. Would like advice from you all as to what’s out their that can meet or beat a Weber gasser in the $800 price range. I’ll be grilling every day down there, so it has to hold up. Just asking.
Never offended by the truth and honesty. However I doubt you will find anything new and better for $800. If you do make sure to let us know. One of those MM grills from Sams may be worth a try and I would love for you to do a first hand experience write up about it. Since you were so happy with your Silver B why not just find another in excellent condition or have fun restoring a well kept one and be set for anther 10 or more years? Since FL is surrounded by salt water you can check out a new Q3200 given there is so little on it to rust.

If I didn't just come across a genesis 3000 in amazing shape for way cheap that i'm bringing back to life, i'd have bought an MHP. Used one a few years ago and had no complaints. Good materials, and in the $1000 range give or take depending on model and options.

Lucas, either rehab your own vintage weber genesis or find someone that does down there. You can buy two to three of them for what you will pay for the Genesis II and the older ones are just better grilling machines IMO. And it will most likely outlast a new Genesis II as well.
You can buy a rehabbed one and have $500 for a 1/2 of a beef to put in the freezer.

Don't dismiss it until you see what you can get for that $300. Here is what I sell for $300 or slightly more. I actually sold this in 2019 for $275, but my price last year would have been $300-$325 for that grill.

Or after seeing Bruce's post, have him do a restore and ship it to ya. You will still have money in the bank and a like new grill!

I am afraid the price point of a bullet proof grill is well over the $1K mark. I would say the closest thing would be buying a new Broilmaster of the original homely design. Won't win you many envious glances, but you can get a 304 stainless cart underneath that all thick cast aluminum hood and firebox. Thick 304 stainless "waterfall grates", too. The "bow-tie" burner is 430 stainless and probably the most like item to need replacement. But even it is of decent quality and will last for a reasonable amount of time. $1,389 on BBQGuys.com

For those who know about Broilmaster there are the occasional bargains to be had -because they are virtually unknown...(I picked up a P3 Ducks Unlimited) in excellent condition for $40 on Kijiji - the person selling it told me that it went through a content sale and nobody even looked at it - I restored the teak shelves and painted the lid with Rustoleum high heat green paint - other than the OEM ignitor (which IMHO isn't worth replacing), it's in perfect condition.

As for spare parts Sam's is actually pretty good at that stuff but the cool thing is thanks to the Member's Mark guarantee if you cannot find a replacement part save your receipt from the grill take it back and get a whole new one.

I saw the MM grills at Sam’s last year (don’t remember model name / number). Inspected the two they had on display. When I got home, I called Weber to see if they manufacture these for Sam’s. Answer was “no“.

I’ve got to say, that judging from the styling (look) and solid feel and not paying attention to the brand name on the lid, these could very easily be mistaken for a W. I‘d maybe give an MM model a try, were I in the market for a new grill. Then again....maybe I’d just stick with the tried and proven.

Last edited:
And if you saw it last year you did not even see the one I was describing. They just introduced them this year

I suppose not, but the ones I saw last Summer were impressive enough for me to contact Weber to see if they were building these MM grills for Sam’s. I’ll definitely make it a point to check out the grills at my local Sam’s within the next couple of weeks. It sounds as though they might’ve improved even beyond the ones I looked at last summer?

I suspect that MM does some serious reverse engineering of Webers for their grills. Which begs the question..... Do I save a little on the copycat? Or do I just get the original that they are trying to copy? lol. I know my answer to that question.

I suspect that MM does some serious reverse engineering of Webers for their grills. Which begs the question..... Do I save a little on the copycat? Or do I just get the original that they are trying to copy? lol. I know my answer to that question.
I would still like to know if parts such as the burners, grates, ignition, and flavorizers are interchangeable. If yes I would consider it, were I to buy new.

Back