If I Was Going to Buy New

I doubt they're interchangeable to Weber. Re the copy cat or not...................both are Chinese made. (though the Weber can kind of make an argument someone in Huntley IL may have assembled those Chinese parts) but me? I am over that. The Weber is truly NOT an American made product. There may be some assembly and packing done here in Huntley but IMO "big deal". All that is, is "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" stuff. Beside I would simply save my receipt and when something is wrong, pack it up, take it back and get a new one or my $$$ back.

I was thinking the same thing as Larry.

As far as US made vs. "assembling" - I am sure Larry is right. Pretty much now most things are internationalized. Very few grills are entirely made in the US. Broilmaster comes to mind as one company that still does, although even they get their burners from Taiwan. I consider that a lot better than the "Peoples Republic" and wonder how much longer they will be able to get them from there! You have to really work hard to seek out Made in USA stuff these days, but I salute those who do.

I would add one thing. The "new" PK company that re-started that venerable name in its last home base of Little Rock, Arkansas does make the "Original" grill right there in Little Rock, casting the aluminum from molds and doing the fine tuning to finish these charcoal grills. However, their "flagship" PK 360 is made in China. Interesting thing is that many PK fans feel that the 360 exhibits better workmanship than the US made Original.

I appreciate that some of you will cringe at this but I pooled my SmokeFire return funds with other funds and bought a new Summit :rolleyes:

I appreciate that some of you will cringe at this but I pooled my SmokeFire return funds with other funds and bought a new Summit :rolleyes:
Charcoal or Gas? Either way, very nice! I'd never cringe at a Summit. The gasser just requires a lot of TLC to last over the long run. I loved cooking on the gas Summit when I had the opportunity.

Charcoal or Gas?
Good question... S-670 LP. Most of my outdoor grilling/smoking arsenal gets wheeled-out to a covered patio slab during use and wheeled back into the unfinished basement after each use, the Summit being no exception. But I did need to change the wheels in order to roll it across the threshold (which is not intended as a complaint against Weber). A couple weeks into it I'm still excited and it's the only viable gasser option I have for rotisserie cooks.

Last edited:
I love that grill. I cooked on it one time at my niece's place in Canada. And since it's stored indoors, you should have none of the durability issues.

Well, I know I have said some bad things about the current Summit. But the thing really is to ENJOY grilling. I never said that it wouldn't cook great when everything is working. So, like others have suggested just do your best to keep it clean, dry and in excellent repair. I think you will have lots of great cooks ahead of you, and for rotisserie no other new Weber can do that so well for you.

If you can start one from new, know the foibles they have and how to help prevent the issues they are wonderful machines to actually cook on. I don't think anyone has accused them of not being so. I truly hope you have excellent lock with it. At least you have a warranty and since it's newer Weber won't be abandoning you any time soon

Well I have to say. If I was to be in the market for a new grill I just stumbled on to these and what's cool is they compare them to Weber right on the product sticker! I have to say, I looked these things over and they're darn well built IMO. Plus they have the Member's Mark satisfaction guarantee. Basically don't like it? Take it back and get a refund or a new one. They address everything I saw posted here about why the products were not good. 304 SS internals, cast aluminum firebox and lids (and it's about 50% thicker than the Weber too). Honestly I am sure there may be a couple cost cutting here and there but head to head it's every bit as good or better than the W brand.
Don't hate on me though. LOL. I will still not give up my old standard Genesis though.
https://www.samsclub.com/p/members-...luminum-gas-grill/prod25200213?xid=_shelf_1_1
They also had a very cool looking 5 burner griddle with some nice features as well

Larry,
I resurrected this old post, because I finally got to see one of these grills at Sams and have to agree it is very nice. Not very attractive but many solid features.

Check out this new listing not too far from me:

This is essentially like getting a 4-burner Genesis II with even better grates for $315 (I would put it together myself :) ). BUT, it lacks the Weber panache that I think helps if you plan to sell off in a few years. And, while some members have gotten the short end of the stick, I think most of us - most of the time - have had a lot of good experiences with Weber's customer support. With this grill I think you would be really grasping for replacement parts. Then again, if Larry is right, and Sam's will still let you roll it in years later no longer working and give you another NEW GRILL, I guess you can't possibly beat that support!

I personally find this grill a bit unattractive in appearance, but it has it where it counts. Lots of 304 stainless and aluminum. The comparison they show you at Sam's is kind of a laundry list of what Weber I hope improved in the upcoming 2022 replacement for the Genesis II.

One issue at hand here Jon. Let's be clear this grill shown at this price is NOT from Sam's. So I really doubt any Sam's club would let you roll this in and demand a refund. Where as if you buy one at Sam's and find yourself unhappy with it. They will refund your $$$. So not only will they supply replacement parts if/when needed you still have the Sam's Member Satisfaction Guarantee (very similar to Coscto). Case in point. My friend buys Vitamix blenders from Costco. For some reason he's able to literally burn them out about every 5 to 6 years. He simply brings it back, the give him a refund, he buys another. My experience with buying a grill from Sam's many years ago was much the same. Yeah they did supply parts BUT when I decided it was time to simply go back to Weber I rolled the Sam's Club grill back in with my receipt and had a full refund in hand.

Those are some great points Larry. They underscore the downside of bargain hunting seemingly new stuff on online sites like FB Marketplace. Also, while some may be legit "buyer's remorse" you do have to question where some of this "NIB" stuff came from :unsure: .

Back