Iberico DeRaza Boneless Pork Collar

TonyUK

TVWBB Guru
I picked up this 5lb-er a couple of weeks ago, and tomorrow I'll chuck it on the Bullet. I've cooked a few of these before and they have been outstanding, (Due to the quality of the produce not my expertise.....well, maybe a little bit).
screenshot_071.jpg

The marbling, and fat content, on this cut is nothing short of perfect. No trimming required. It did actually smell like.....buttah! The fat smoothed out using my finger.
screenshot_72.jpg

I painted a thin binder of homemade q-sauce for a heavy SPOG.

screenshot_73.jpg

Meat probe inserted and into the fridge overnight. Sparrow's fart start tomorrow. I'm planning on a +11hr cook on the Bullet, which is fully prepped for ignition with Aussie Heat Beads & a combo of olive and orange wood.

......to be continued......

Sparrow's fart. 06:30, and a beautiful morning it is. Zero wind.

IMG_0994.jpg

Everything prepped the night before, so it was just a case of firing up 20 briqs.
IMG_0995.jpg

See you a Two-O-Five.
IMG_0996.jpg

WSM solid at 255. Currently stalled at 165.

......to be continued......

Last edited:
Morning equally pretty here in the Mitten! Not doing anything nearly as lovely as that collar but, will be enjoying some leftover pulled pork as “Cajun pulled pork with cheesy grits” tomorrow.
Will advise…

That was a bit of an eventful cook.
First off my Mav went off the reservation. Temps jumping all over the place. Tried different probes....no joy.
RELEASE THE TW SMOKE! (I've it had for two years and not used it yet). Plugged it in and everything working as per.
The cook went swimmingly for 5hrs, 255 & 165(stall) respectively. Then all of a sudden the pit temp went south. ??? Did the hot-squat and saw that I was nearly out of fuel. Never, ever had that before. I don't know why it happened this time, as my usual routine was on point, it was a beautiful day, sunny and a bit cool. Perfect smoking weather. Shook the basket and dumped the ash then put a load of new briqs in and it was off to the races again. Pit dialled in at 270 for the remainder of the cook, which was another 4hrs to get to 205IT. Wrapped in foil and towels and into a holding oven awaiting the pull.

It's all wobbly and smells devine!
IMG_1005.jpg

........to be continued (the pull)......

Great cook Tony looks fantastic. Nice save too on the flame out. You'll find that TW Smoke is a fantastic tool compared to the mav, although I have two mavs as back up and one new one. But the smoke is my go-to all the time now.

tomorrow I'll chuck it on the Bullet

First of all, I prefer you don't chuck it on anything, thank you very much. That is a very fine look roast, we call them Center Cut Roasts and they don't look anything like that. Yours almost looks aged even though in the wrapper. Bummer about the loss of pit temp, I actually just recently experienced that on a brisket. I know I had more than enough charcoal in my WSM to go 12+ hours, but the pit died at 8 hours. I'm guessing the charcoal wasn't what it used to be. That finished picture looks amazing. Since yours is a Spanish cut (Iberico DeRaza) I assume at least some of that beauty will see the inside of a taco shell or two?

As always, it's great to see your epic cooks Tony, keep the coming. And please, stop with the chuckin stuff

That looks great! Was just recently watching a video talking about using pork collar instead of shoulder for pulled pork.

@ChuckO
This Iberico pork looks like beef. The colour you see in the wrapper is it's actual colour. It does look like aged beef.
It pulled beautifully. I reckon only a 1/4lb of gloopy stuff. So a grate return on the pre-cook weight.
Apologies but no plated pic. Here's the pull. This is about a 1/3 of the yield.
IMG_1009.jpg
The bark was exceptional, even after a 1.5hr hold. C.R.I.S.P.Y.
The meat had a creamy, smokey flavour. I couldn't fault it. We invited the "outlaws" round for tea, and they not being big Q fans thought it was exceptional. D*mn near cleaned me out! (But I held a good portion back).
The sides were Texas caviar, apple cider 'slaw, salad & fries.
Tomorrow's breakfast is going to be pulled Iberico pork, fried eggs & jalapeno popovers. (The rest will be bagged and frozen).
Thanks for stopping by.
ps This was a +/-9hr cook. Shorter than I expected.

Last edited:

Back