I will just leave this here

That is the Weber Steam and Chips. They usually sit on the left side of the cook box. I am not sure exactly how they are used, but I think water goes in the silver aluminum cup to provide moisture to the cook. I don't think the reviews on them are all that good, but some people use them and like them.

The rectangular metal bracket fits over two of the bottom layer of flavorizer bars to secure it and the smoker box fits into it. The grate has to be cut to allow the lid of the box to sit flush with the top of the grates. They work ok but the holes are too big on the bottom of mine and wood pellets fall through. The other thing I don't like about it is that they are porcelain enameled and rust out after awhile. They were sold as an accessory as well as installed at the factory and supplied with the grill when new. It replaces one of the top layer flavorizer bars so if you remove it from the grill you will be missing one FB and a section of the grate.

Attachments

• Weber 9880 Steam-N-Chips.jpg
    Weber 9880 Steam-N-Chips.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 15
  • SteamNChips.png
    SteamNChips.png
    329.4 KB · Views: 15
While a cool idea they don't work well. If at all. I found it better to simply use foil packets of chips on top of the bars. Less mess too as wood ash is very corrosive

Yep, Weber original. You need to cut your grate on left side to allow this to sit between firebox and grate. The bracket with triangle cuts is to hold the box from sliding on the flavorizer bars (slide two flavorizer bars through the holes either front two or back two), the aluminum pan was for water as I recall (might be wrong). My box rusted out and I missed the cooking space from the cut grates.

It is made to sit on top of the flavorizer bars. That’s what the diamond plates are for. This kit comes with a special narrower grate. You can cut one to fit if you don’t have that. The idea is to fill with wood chips on the one part and water on the other to make steam for moisture along with the smoke.

Larry and some others who have used or seen these used are generally not very impressed. I personally see at least some merit but would NOT use them without first putting the chips in a foil wrap with pin holes. That way no ash falls into your grill and you can swap wrapped chips as you are cooking without lifting any grates.

Can anyone tell from this horrible picture if that’s durawood? Am I correct that only the durawood grills have that style handle?

8A3CF20D-56C9-44C0-BC8D-480599F81169.jpeg

Yep. All the "woodies" I've seen have wooden handles...kind of incongruous to put a plastic handle on a woody.

Two thumbs up and a big circle for Durawood! I have both, and the wood has shrunk and split and loose in the z-bars where the Durawood is still in great shape. You can really tell the difference by how snugly the tables fit within the grill frame, a friction fit, even after 20+ years. Durawood is not anywhere near as purty as wood, though, and it will melt if you put a hot BBQ tool on it (mine has a couple of small melted areas from POs, scars that add character), so it's not all upside.

I am SO disappointed. I missed out on TWO free grills today. Right by my house and I reached out to each person minutes after they posted. Bummer!

E4AFBD64-BD85-4164-B49A-827587FB4755.jpeg498212E7-9098-4BDC-9714-DAEA69F2AB7A.jpeg

Yeah, the freebies go quick! Looks like that black one might have some Weber Haze goin' on. And the redhead is missing the swing table. PASS!

(Yeah, right. But look at the upside...at least you have plenty of room for the next one that comes along)

I'm just going to toss this out here. I mean to tell you, this Performer went so fast that it made my head spin! It was posted for $400, which I thought was 'way out there price-wise, but when I looked at it the guy had taken a 1st gen Performer, put a blue kettle in it with a burner setup for easy lighting, and had the frame powder coated red. Now I live in SoCal, and I know a little bit about baseball, but this guy had done this up in a Cubbies motif...who knew we had so many loyal Chicagoans in my area! I sure didn't! I wish I would have thought to snag a picture for the Illinois crowd in the forum but by the time it dawned on me to do that it was G-A-W-N gone. Wow! So to me, and I will never know, but for something to go that fast I gotta believe the guy got what he was asking. Next time, I'll get a picture.

Back