I will just leave this here

That one may not be as bad as it looks, though impossible to say for sure just by the pictures. The frames on these are relatively thick steel and if it's just surface rust it can still be saved.
Those are good points. That one is tougher than many, but “many” is kind of a joke since there aren’t many of these left. The chocolate hood is definitely an uncommon find.

That’s actually close to where the church my father-in-law pastored for over 50 years. A factory neighborhood right by Midway Airport.
I know it well. Ex Wife was from not far away from there. Not, a good travel for me. I would rather go into WI

I know it well. Ex Wife was from not far away from there. Not, a good travel for me. I would rather go into WI
Me too Larry, I live right by O'Hare but my daughter likes to fly out of Midway because of the cheaper flights. It is a brutal drive even from here.

My wife and her family were very much southwest siders. They always flew in and out of Midway. One time, before we were married, Faith had to pick me up at O'Hare. She was driving, and I wasn't paying much attention. Next thing I knew, we were just about in Wisconsin :ROFLMAO: !

With my connections there, having a relative pick up that grill wouldn't be completely out of the question. I miss my old Platinum that I sold when I moved. I never finished the job, and I always wanted to do something like Bruce did to make the cabinet not subject to rust. I did the bottom with durawood and aluminum z-channel held up by stainless frame tubing, but I never solved the side and rear panel issue. Bruce pulled it off and made a dream grill come true(y).

IMG_3857(Edited).jpg

IMG_3718(1).jpg

Doing another Platinum - and adopting Bruce's method - would be a fun challenge, but this isn't the time for me, and I already have a huge backlog of projects.

When I am not buried in taxes, I have occasionally been talking to myself and asking the question that my wife asks all the time: "How many grills to you really need?!!!!!" :cautious:

My wife and her family were very much southwest siders. They always flew in and out of Midway. One time, before we were married, Faith had to pick me up at O'Hare. She was driving, and I wasn't paying much attention. Next thing I knew, we were just about in Wisconsin :ROFLMAO: !

With my connections there, having a relative pick up that grill wouldn't be completely out of the question. I miss my old Platinum that I sold when I moved. I never finished the job, and I always wanted to do something like Bruce did to make the cabinet not subject to rust. I did the bottom with durawood and aluminum z-channel held up by stainless frame tubing, but I never solved the side and rear panel issue. Bruce pulled it off and made a dream grill come true(y).

View attachment 67876

View attachment 67877

Doing another Platinum - and adopting Bruce's method - would be a fun challenge, but this isn't the time for me, and I already have a huge backlog of projects.

When I am not buried in taxes, I have occasionally been talking to myself and asking the question that my wife asks all the time: "How many grills to you really need?!!!!!" :cautious:
Ha ha, my wife just said something to me about all the grills in the garage. My daughter had asked her why I had so many in there? I'll just move them around to buy more time.

Me too Larry, I live right by O'Hare but my daughter likes to fly out of Midway because of the cheaper flights. It is a brutal drive even from here.
Depending on where she likes to fly check out flights from Rockford on Allegiant. She might be surprised

Depending on where she likes to fly check out flights from Rockford on Allegiant. She might be surprised
She likes to go to Florida with her boyfriend. I think she did fly out of Rockford once, but I didn't have to drive her that time so I'm not sure if it was Rockford or some other small airport out that way.

There is no other airport out this way with commercial flights. But from the NW burbs KRFD is a cakewalk to get to and half the time or less than KMDW

And whats up with these side tables? Are they massive?

Yeah, they are pretty cool. It is a Platinum Series II

What do you guys think about this one?
Looks like a solid restoration candidate. If you want to try to flip you will need to get that price down. These old wood slats grills take extra, time consuming work but reward you with the charm of a classic Jaguar.

A69F6DFB-7784-4EBC-9B92-E5415D0DD787.jpeg

And whats up with these side tables? Are they massive?
I would be getting all over this if I were you. That 3000 I think is a VERY early one as later on they switched over to the Durawood on the X000 series grills

I would be getting all over this if I were you. That 3000 I think is a VERY early one as later on they switched over to the Durawood on the X000 series grills
Larry would you be all over the 3000 or the Platinum? Trying to grab the platinum this afternoon. I'm a natural gas guy and it will be a keeper for me. I have a 2011 Platinum and it would be cool to have a couple a decade or so apart.

Back