I will just leave this here

After seeing what Jon has done to his classic summit, I'm tempted by this beauty.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1254034738868572/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp:2f20b7b5-09d5-42b0-a250-33f09a555c72
325420114_6135716593125294_7377478466626297089_n.jpg

Go in both eyes open. First, that one is missing the upper rack. On those Summits the upper rack was high quality stainless steel and likely expen$ive. Look into the fire box. Rust rust and more rust is common. Mind what Jon tells you about them. Last don't even pay anywhere near $200

That does look like a very nice grill to start a rehab on. I just want to caution those who might be bolstered by Jons efforts. It took him years and a lot of effort just to come up with a solution to the cook box issue. And even if you do come up with a solution to that, you can count on dumping several hundred more into it besides the cook box solution and the cost of the grill up front.
Good luck and keep us posted if you take this on.

Go in both eyes open. First, that one is missing the upper rack. On those Summits the upper rack was high quality stainless steel and likely expen$ive. Look into the fire box. Rust rust and more rust is common. Mind what Jon tells you about them. Last don't even pay anywhere near $200
I think the upper rack is laying on the bottom shelf.

Well, I admit to being a pushover for these old 1st generation Summits. If that was anywhere close to me, I would be very interested. First it has LP. Many are NG which I don’t have access to. I need to look at the post when I am not at work, but the picture you posted looks promising. Finally, I feel confident enough now to say that I can sell you the stainless panels I have had made. (I owe a couple other members here a chance to buy some, too.) I am pretty sure you can use the same parts I did but will just need 3 pieces per side. I will bet that your current firebox has rust and at least some burn-through like mine. But even if not you should make preparation for preventing a dangerous level of burn through which is almost inevitable given the porcelain coated steel firebox front and back.

With the firebox fixed, things get down to mainly just a harder grill to do a frame-off restoration than say a Genesis. I think the results are worth it.

Everything I am saying is for a personal use keeper. These are very poor candidates for flipping. But for your own use I might be willing to pay something close to the asking price. Remember, though, I am a pushover! Still, I wouldn’t let it slip away over $50 or something, if you are really interested. These are getting fewer and farther between.

Last edited:
I contracted a small bit of weberitis. I thought I had built up more resistance, but this one was about six mins away and was going into the trash if not rescued.

Lid is a B code MBH so a 1980 model.

View attachment 66185
So it has the three vents on the bottom? Although not as easy to clean up or adjust, the old three vent setup gives you more control:coolkettle:

Great save, then.👍 A replacement wood handle for the lid, cleaning, and a little touch up and you will have a champ!

View attachment 66088

fb219786-c913-4fd9-a9a4-8f8f9e910ae9-jpeg.66090

Well, OK then.

I've got a long time friend that is somewhat foolish and asinine (I know, redundant).

He ran across one of these in Central Massachusetts at a Home Goods, TJ Maxx, somewhat kind of retailer. Millbury MA RT 146 area big shopping area if I remember correctly.

And he bought it.

I've no idea what he paid.

I believe he's cooked on it once, and not well.

It's basically yard art, and not very good yard art at that.

It's made from scrap steel, scrap 5 gallon oil jugs, not a lick of copper or brass in sight.

I spend many minutes putting things in it, including hairstyling "heads" just because I can.

And I made him aware of this:

Creation of the brazen bull for Phalaris[edit]​

The brazen bull (left) depicted on an old engraving by Hans Burgkmair
The head of the bull was designed with a system of tubes and stops so that the prisoner's screams were converted into sounds like the bellowing of an infuriated bull. Phalaris is said to have commanded that the bull be designed in such a way that its smoke rose in spicy clouds of incense.[5] According to legend, when the bull was reopened after a body was charred, the victim's scorched bones then "shone like jewels and were made into bracelets.

Then I asked him where his wife was......

Back