I will just leave this here

Those racks actually add a LOT of stiffness to the frames --- much more than the flimsy 'cabinets' do. Braces are always good, but I would say they are overkill with the racks --- you'd be better off using Z bars and trex if you put in the braces.
I feel like I need to correct my statement that the racks provide adequate stiffness to the 'standard' width frames from what I've seen.... it seems like the discussion is centering around the 'long' frames here. I haven't actually run across any 'long' frames myself..... yet.

Yeah, the long frames with the wire "friction fit" lower racks seem to be just a bit more wobbly in my opinion. I think in the back I may make the gusset go from the top E/W rail down below where the lower leg extensions bolt on. There seems to be a little flex down there as well

Great use for those scrap SS doors. I have quite a few of them but I don't do coal. Probably too thin to make a skillet out of, hmmmmm.......
Start thinking about how you could repurpose them for shelves in different projects..... they would make for a really nice floor panel(s) in a cabinet with some creative mounting.... even if you had to leave a couple of gaps.

I am hoping some excess 304 SS can be made into materials for flip grills... my most hopeful leftover parts by-product, will be grease tray rails, hopefully meeting up with him Friday morning, or early next week

Start thinking about how you could repurpose them for shelves in different projects..... they would make for a really nice floor panel(s) in a cabinet with some creative mounting.... even if you had to leave a couple of gaps.
Something for you to start thinking about Bruce.....

A Silver B door is almost an ideal fit for a X000 side table - some carefully made cuts and it would look REALLY nice!!!
20241023_161948.jpg
Would work too for the lower rack too - but there would be a gap or two or three.....
20241023_162013.jpg

Some creative cutting and it would also work well on a Silver/Spirit B (maybe A also) side table IF it has the handle like mine --- it wouldn't work as nicely if it had the end caps that are flush with the frame end.
20241023_164323.jpg20241023_164336.jpg

Sure there would be holes where the handles were, but those could be filled with a screw - or the handles left as a 'tool rest/holder'.....

I need some more doors to play with now.

that’s some creativity there!
My mind has been occupied now by 'how can I make a nice straight CLEAN cut with the cutoff wheel?'......
I'm pretty proud of myself for making a nice circular cut for the sloNsear - which is funny because I wasn't really too worried about it and it turned out much better than Ii ever expected --- but a clean edge that will be seen is a different challenge. I'm pondering mounting a cutoff wheel on my 5 1/2" circular saw and using a fence if possible...... I'm not ready to go buy a 'blade' just to try this.

THEN you start thinking about how you can 'roll or fold the edges' to do it 'right'...... I don't know anybody with a brake......

Last edited:
I'm hoping this urge passes right now and I can find a better use for the one door since I don't really 'need' to do anything at the moment..... but the look of a stainless side table on the SpiritB with SS doors and faceplate IS tempting. A mental note for a future project..... I need to focus more on yard work right now.

Never seen a summit with thermoplast tables. $25 in Naperville

Yeah those are 2nd gen Summits. Bro has one. I rebuilt it for him once. Not nearly the same build quality as 1st gen ones. Bult like someone tried to stuff a 454 Big Block into a Chevette.

On the second generation, are those tables the same size then?
Same size as what? The 1st gen SS tables? I don't think so. The frame of a 1st gen is larger and the frame of a second gen is larger than a Genesis (at least an OG design Genesis). I can't vouch for a newer one as I've only been exposed to one. Back in 2011 I assembled one for my late sister and her husband.

Back