I will just leave this here

You could always start off with picking up a cheap kettle to see if it's something you might like. I grew up on food cooked on a Weber kettle, had I not been given a Weber gas grill as a wedding present I might still be cooking on one. I've always enjoyed the food I turn out on my gasser and you just can't beat the convenience. Every once in a while I look at buying a kettle but never pull the trigger on it. I don't know that it means anything other than I'm satisfied with my old grill.
I will definitely always run a gas grill for sure. It would be nice to try some other options just for fun. I have been waiting for a first generation performer to come up that's in decent shape and cheep or free. I have barely missed on a couple. I love my gas grills and I will never give them up.

I will definitely always run a gas grill for sure. It would be nice to try some other options just for fun. I have been waiting for a first generation performer to come up that's in decent shape and cheep or free. I have barely missed on a couple. I love my gas grills and I will never give them up.

I feel the same way with regard to gas grills. However, about 3 weeks ago while still searching for an elusive stainless Platinum C (which I found last week), I decided to get a small kettle as a fallback. I wandered into a resale shop while treasure hunting with my wife, and found a 1997 Smokey Joe (intake vent on bottom) with a wooden handle for $15. I hadn't used a charcoal grill for at least 20+ years... but with a bit of perusing TVWBB, I got it fired up and grilled some Angus cheeseburgers. I gotta say, there is still something oddly satisfying about searing and cooking with coals.

@Scott-MI $15 well spent!

I think there is a positive side to all different types of cooking methods. No right or wrong. I think it's good to keep an open mind and try different things to see what works best for you. Some things you can't be told what's best you have to experience it for yourself and makeup your own mind. I try not to judge what I don't know. So it's time to try some new things.

Yep. You've been missing out..... I wish SOMEONE would have shown me all the things I've had to learn on my own over the last 2-3-4 years back when I was younger..... it would have saved me SOOOOooooo much $$$....... and I would have eaten so much better.

Yep. You've been missing out..... I wish SOMEONE would have shown me all the things I've had to learn on my own over the last 2-3-4 years back when I was younger..... it would have saved me SOOOOooooo much $$$....... and I would have eaten so much better.
Glad you found what you like and found what works for you. Only one way to do it and that's try for yourself. That's why people have different opinions and different things they like some will tell you gasser is the only way to go and some will say the same about charcoal or maybe smoker. Maybe I'll like incorporating in some other cooking techniques and maybe it won't be worth the time and hassle. I'll have to try some stuff and find out. I definitely appreciate sharing what they like and what they do.

Definitely is nice to be here and hear the opinions of others and the knowledge and experience on 13 bar slat grills is priceless.

Last edited:
@Scott-MI $15 well spent!

I think there is a positive side to all different types of cooking methods. No right or wrong. I think it's good to keep an open mind and try different things to see what works best for you. Some things you can't be told what's best you have to experience it for yourself and makeup your own mind. I try not to judge what I don't know. So it's time to try some new things.
Based on a lot of things I've seen on this forum, I'm guessing that a lot of people don't even know the right way to cook on their Genesis 1000-5000 grills or Silver B/C grills. Weber included a nice cookbook with these grills that outlined the proper way to cook on them. Most of the time it advised you to use indirect cooking on things like hamburgers for example to avoid flare-ups. So you would fire up all three burners and then turn off the center burner to cook your burgers in the middle of the grill.

Based on a lot of things I've seen on this forum, I'm guessing that a lot of people don't even know the right way to cook on their Genesis 1000-5000 grills or Silver B/C grills. Weber included a nice cookbook with these grills that outlined the proper way to cook on them. Most of the time it advised you to use indirect cooking on things like hamburgers for example to avoid flare-ups. So you would fire up all three burners and then turn off the center burner to cook your burgers in the middle of the grill.
I'm excited to grill on my old Weber gassers. I'm building them with the highest quality parts I can source. These grills will out last me. It's easy to see they were built to higher standard than grills nowadays. I've worked on quite a few newer Webers and haven't seen anything come close to these 13 bars slat grills. I'm impressed

I really appreciate you helping me source these parts and sharing your knowledge and experience.

Last edited:
I'm excited to grill on my old Weber gassers. I'm building them with the highest quality parts I can source. These grills will out last me. It's easy to see they were built to higher standard than grills nowadays. I've worked on quite a few newer Webers and haven't seen anything come close to these 13 bars slat grills. I'm impressed

I really appreciate you helping me source these parts and sharing your knowledge and experience.
It's been my pleasure to meet someone else who really appreciates these old grills and to share what I've learned from the other wonderful people on this forum.

It's been my pleasure to meet someone else who really appreciates these old grills and to share what I've learned from the other wonderful people on this forum.

Hey Steve I found some excellent grates. They're dirty but they would clean up like new but the price on the grill is too high. Not worth it just for the grates.Screenshot_20240703_232310_Chrome.jpg

Hey Steve I found some excellent grates. They're dirty but they would clean up like new but the price on the grill is too high. Not worth it just for the grates.View attachment 94997

No, that's a ridiculous price for that grill. The best negotiating tactic on those old Summit grills is the rotted out cook box thing and how replacements are no longer available.

In all seriousness though I do want to find some more reasonably priced 9930s
Like I told you before, the goal is to get them for free or super cheap on old grills. I got mine for free, couldn't be happier. I've known about these grates for years but was never willing to pay up for them. That's part of the fun, getting way more value than you paid for.

You're right I absolutely agree! And I'm sure as hell not buying a pair off Amazon for $350. I will definitely find some for free or cheap. I have no doubt
I have no doubt either. The next best Weber grates are the stamped stainless steel ones. Those also hold up extremely well. I have an old set of those that are on my current grill, love them.

Back