I will just leave this here

I'd definitely like to see some finished pictures!

I'm not as fancy as you are with my cooking. But I would like to be. Definitely want to experiment more as I slowly get more time on my hands. I'll definitely always have a three burner. I've actually been meaning to get a smoke box and try something like that.

You bought your Genesis 2000 brand new right?
Yes now defunct OSH hardware Saturday no sales tax, and 15% off with new cc. Good memory shopping with Dad for my new house.

Yea perfected my grilling skills over time

I get bye just fine on my 2 burner with indirect --- checkout this thread ---- https://tvwbb.com/threads/smoking-on-the-gasser.98166/
I've got my B ready to go with a similar setup, but I find I don't really need the extra space --- the 2 burner can handle what I need to do.

Mark --- I would suggest trying to put together a 'raised grate' setup to get the meat up above the exhaust vent of the grill so that the meat can get more smoke ---- it made a HUGE difference over just putting the meat on the grate. An extra grate and some tin cans is all it takes. Also note too --- you can turn the burner OFF once the steak temps and let it suck up more smoke while its resting too! Some of the best steaks I have ever had!!!!
Thanks, that makes good sense with smoke rising but also lower temp higher in the hood for low & slow thing.

Been putting smoke box directly on flavor bars on rear burner, will move to front after reading your exhaust thought.

Hope to finish assembly this weekend, and search for a cheap grate to test your method

I've concluded it doesn't really matter where you place the smoke tube (assuming low burner settings)..... whats more important is where the meat is --- ideally higher than the vent at the back.

I just saw.... you are using a smoke box..... so that has to be on a burner.....
Step up to a smoke tube and light it with a torch and just place it on the grates - so much more reliable and consistent (and easier) than a box on the burner.

Jim, that is what I have been using as well. I did some ribs and it lasted hours. Just light one end and it takes a long time to burn to the other end, but gives out a lot of smoke throughout. I was kind of worried on the rack of ribs I did a couple weeks ago. It was still smoking right up to the end of a six hour cook. But the ribs were not too smokey.

Thanks, that makes good sense with smoke rising but also lower temp higher in the hood for low & slow thing.

Been putting smoke box directly on flavor bars on rear burner, will move to front after reading your exhaust thought.

Hope to finish assembly this weekend, and search for a cheap grate to test your method
Hopefully you can get that assembly wrapped up. I want to see this masterpiece!

Since you are just starting out with smoke ---- I would suggest grabbing a bag of Bear Mountain Gourmet or Savory til youget things sorted out.
THEN you can go full on buying each individual flavor mixing your own flavors ---- I started out with pecan - then oak to mix in --- then came cherry, apple, maple, almond & plum (pricey, but GOOD)..... My bags are getting low now and I think I'll just switch over to mix bags instead of replacing single flavors in the future.

If you swing into Walmart - they are supposedly carrying (exclusively???) Bear Mountain's newer blends that sound REALLY good.... I'm not sure if they are stocking them or if you have to order on line.

Oooooo --- they are on sale this week too! ~$10 a bag --- can't go wrong!!!!

Since you are just starting out with smoke ---- I would suggest grabbing a bag of Bear Mountain Gourmet or Savory til youget things sorted out.
THEN you can go full on buying each individual flavor mixing your own flavors ---- I started out with pecan - then oak to mix in --- then came cherry, apple, maple, almond & plum (pricey, but GOOD)..... My bags are getting low now and I think I'll just switch over to mix bags instead of replacing single flavors in the future.

If you swing into Walmart - they are supposedly carrying (exclusively???) Bear Mountain's newer blends that sound REALLY good.... I'm not sure if they are stocking them or if you have to order on line.
Perfect thank you!

Putting it directly on the flavorizer bars in the front of the cook box seems to make the most sense?

Or if it doesn't matter so much where it's at as long as your meats higher than the vent maybe just put it in swing basket

Just pick some pellets that are made from the kind of wood you want for the meat you are cooking. Can almost never go wrong with a cherry or apple. Some of the others are better suited for red meats though like hickory or mesquite.

Once you get one end with the pellets in the tube lit, and burning good, then set it under the meat. If you put it on or near a burner that is lit, it will likely catch fire and you don't want that. You just want smoke.

I suggested a mix bag since a 20# bag of pellets lasts a loooooong time in a pellet tube.... I think you'd get bored with a single flavor for that long - same could be said for a mix too I guess.... but at least you'll get a nice tasty profile instead of a single flavor that you may or may not like.

Back