I will just leave this here

Yah, I was at the dealer last week getting some work done on my daughters car. I checked about a dozen or so Chevy 2024 trucks. Cheapest was $69K and a couple were over $95K. My 2013 does me just fine. But, at 197K miles, I don't know how much longer it will last.

My old '99 Dodge (187,000 miles) that I went down south to Atlanta area to buy drives fine to me. I love the style of the first "semi-truck" look Dodge trucks. Mine is a totally simple, basic model with rubber floor covering, hand-crank windows, and a cassette player (that still works!) But, being from the south, NO RUST!

Dodge Truck!.jpeg

Yah, there is something to be said about the old, plain jane models. But, then, back in the 90's, I remember people saying the vehicles were like tin cans compared the 60's vehicles.
I do think however, that the worst vehicle run in America was from the mid 70's into the mid 90's.

Yeah, my first truck 1985 Ford F150 base truck. 6 cyl, 4spd manual (I think they called it 3spd + over drive). Power steering/brakes. radio and plain bench seats No AC. What I would not give to have that truck again. Thing actually got over 27 mpg on highway! We lived in Chicago then so only about 12 - 14 in city but meh didn't care. Only traded it because wife even though she sort of tried, could not figure out how to drive it. She actually parked it one day (all street parking), by sticking it into reverse with no clutch! I asked her what it did. "it backed up". Somehow she did not "hurt" it. :D
Today, if I could find a decent Toyota Tacoma with 4 cyl, stick shift and maybe 4WD, I would LOVE it. Very hard to find though

The second wave of gasoline shortages (late 70’s) on the east coast pushed many who wouldn’t consider buying a vehicle made in Japan over the edge in my opinion.

I remember the first person in our neighborhood who bought a Japanese car- when he reported what his mileage was, you could see a lot of wheels turning instead people’s heads.

Once they started racking up the mileage trouble free, it put the nail in the coffin of the Detroit “planned obsolescence” model, and they realized they needed to make better quality vehicles to compete.

In my opinion.

I am pretty much a loyal Ford/GM truck fan, but would easily go for a Toyota or Honda sedan.
My ex said her oil light was coming on when she went around corners in her 2004 Corolla. I checked it and I dumped in 2+ quarts of oil before it even registered on the dip stick. I put close to another quart in before it topped off. Well, the damn thing only holds 3.75 quarts so I don't think there was even 1 full quart of oil in it to start with. Good thing she happened to "mention" it because she is fixing to make a 250 mile trip today. I am shocked it didn't burn up before I put in oil.

The second wave of gasoline shortages on the east coast pushed many who wouldn’t consider buying a vehicle made in Japan over the edge in my opinion.

I remember the first person in our neighborhood who bought a Japanese car- when he reported what his mileage was, you could see a lot of wheels turning instead people’s heads.

Once they started racking up the mileage trouble free, it put the nail in the coffin of the Detroit “planned obsolescence” model, and they realized they needed to make better quality vehicles to compete.

In my opinion.
Oh, for sure John. That is exactly how it went IMO. Free market capitalist competition is the best thing they ever invented.

In 88 I bought a repairable 87 Dodge Lancer Turbo 5 speed with 4k miles and had it fixed and drove it for about 150k. Gave it to my daughter and eventually it went back to the same jy at 211k and I got a tax deduction for $3k, just what I had originally paid him for it. I never expected it would last nearly that long…
Now have a couple of late 90s T5 Volvos each with 200k+ on it.
I think I was lucky with the Dodge but hit the sweet spot with the Volvos.

Nicely priced and pretty clean on the outside. Don’t let a lack of Weber parts support stand in the way of grabbing one of these if you can. Most of the components will last a lifetime and I was actually pleasantly surprised to see how easily I could find an aftermarket solution for consumables such as a new ignition system and crossover tubes for my 44” Vieluxe.

Last edited:
I think those things were truly all stainless. It would easily be the "Ultimate" grill for most of us. Depending on what parts it might need, it could be a real steal. Does anyone know if they use the same type cook box as the Summits?

I think those things were truly all stainless. It would easily be the "Ultimate" grill for most of us. Depending on what parts it might need, it could be a real steal. Does anyone know if they use the same type cook box as the Summits?
Yeah I would love one. Because unlike my Wolf (which is a cool grill and yes I truly enjoy it. But and this is a HUGE but, it cooks nowhere near as well as a Weber does. If I could get this level of build and have it cook like a Weber I'm in!

Back