I will just leave this here

These keep showing up in my searches on FBMP. Most are listed for that $89 price tag that scammers like. Wierd.

Bowl is backwards so that the clip and rollers for lid bale are facing you. Wire part if bale must be missing.

Love that he has another set of tables, though. Also looks lightly used.

Hi all! First time posting. I'm looking for a good donor grill because the lid I have is pretty banged up. What's your best strategy for finding a good one given it's hard to tell in pictures? Is it a volume thing? Do you drive and look at a lot of grills? Do you ask the seller about it first? Buy the grill and hope for the best when you clean it up? Are there certain colors you've found that hold up better? I understand black is the worst. Is there a best as far as durability?

What model of grill do you have? If you are looking for older Genesis Silver B/C or Genesis 1000-5000 lids, they are pretty common and a lot of those grill are free on curb or just a few bucks.

What model of grill do you have? If you are looking for older Genesis Silver B/C or Genesis 1000-5000 lids, they are pretty common and a lot of those grill are free on curb or just a few bucks.
It's a 1000. I'm seeing a lot in the 50-150 bucks range that require a little driving to get to. Just curious if there were any tips/tricks on identifying ones that are worth pursuing. I almost want to bring my steel wool and simple green to see if I can clean it up on site before bringing it home.

Most lids from 1985 through 2006 will fit your grill. Up until the early 2000's, all the lids were basically the same. Some hand different end caps and handles, but the lids could be changed over to the different end caps no problem. In the 2003-2006 time frame, they went to a more rounded lid. But that would still fit your grill as long as you kept the end caps and handle with it. So, basically, just look for a color you like and find a good deal on it....I would say under $50 for sure and snap it up. As you know, the black lids are prone to the "Weber Fade", so unless you want black, I would stay away from those. Red are fairly common and popular, but weber made a good half dozen or more colored lids that would fit your grill. Blue is one of my favorites, but they also made a Dk Red maybe maroon colored lid that is really pretty in my opinion..

From there, just find a lid that looks like it doesn't have any cracks or chips or bad scratches in the porcelain colored part.

This lid would work on your grill, but it has the newer rounded top. If you wanted one like this, you would need to keep the end caps and handles that are on it.

It's a 1000. I'm seeing a lot in the 50-150 bucks range that require a little driving to get to. Just curious if there were any tips/tricks on identifying ones that are worth pursuing. I almost want to bring my steel wool and simple green to see if I can clean it up on site before bringing it home.
Joe, I don't know where in Chicago you are but I have two extra lids. I have a red one that has a small chip in it that I would let you have for free. I also have a pristine black lid that I would have to charge you something for because it's that nice. If you're interested message me, I'm in the northwest suburbs.

IDK why every time you see an ad for one of these older Genesis grills the flip up table(s) are/is always missing.

The system the used for the Genesis 1000-5000 grills was not all that robust for hanging them. The rod basically fit into the end cap that had a small drop down tab. The tab was not very thick and the hole the rod went into was therefore not very deep. That along with being plastic and the cap being prone to backing out where it connects to the frame led to the shelves falling out. People either loose the bracket or just get tired of having to put it back in place all the time. At least that is my theory.

Joe, I don't know where in Chicago you are but I have two extra lids. I have a red one that has a small chip in it that I would let you have for free. I also have a pristine black lid that I would have to charge you something for because it's that nice. If you're interested message me, I'm in the northwest suburbs.
West burbs for me. I really appreciate the offer. I'll message you.

Here is an example of the Stand Alone or Permanent mount Genesis that Weber made back in the day. This is a Silver B version. I thought they were only made as Genesis 1000 variants. Notice the condiment rack on the left side. Basically the same as the Skyline condiment basket but these stand alone version grills came with baskets that lack the little utensil holders on the top front edge.

353901387_6206459772795101_6236920363720026620_n.jpg

That's interesting, I have come across a couple of Genesis 1000 permanent mount grills on OfferUp before and I think they had that basket as well. I'm tempted to research whether or not that basket might be available as NOS anywhere, it would at least be a suitable substitute for someone with a Skyline grill missing it's basket.

Back