I will just leave this here

I just went to their website. They seem to have similar construction to the Q's. Even better in some ways. It looks like what the discontinued charcoal Q could have been. But you say it has more space than the egg. So the picture is making it look deceptively small.

Jason,

It is probably similar in size to the large Q3200 but much deeper. The cast aluminum is also thicker. The Char-Q looks like a neat curiosity and is probably fine for basic grilling, but it doesn't have anywhere the versatility or capabilities of a PK.

The cooking area on a "large" Big Green Egg is about the same size as a 18" Weber kettle. I am basing my size comments on PK's percentage comparisons. For two-zone BBQ, a rectangle is a lot better than a round grill. On the Egg, your indirect barbecuing is limited to the space over the ceramic heat deflector. On a large BGE that isn't much more than the size of a 14" Smoky Joe. I can just squeeze in two pork shoulders. Big Green Egg of course has XL and XXL grills, but they are VERY expensive. Also, all that ceramic starts getting really heavy.

Last edited:
I just finished watching some reviews and videos on them. They look like they are extremely versatile. And they do truly seem built to last. Now that I'm aware of them maybe I'll come across a screaming deal someplace and grab one to try out. But the price of them new and even the used one used one I posted is too much for me.

I just finished watching some reviews and videos on them. They look like they are extremely versatile. And they do truly seem built to last. Now that I'm aware of them maybe I'll come across a screaming deal someplace and grab one to try out. But the price of them new and even the used one used one I posted is too much for me.

Me, too. I have a fellow TVWBB member friend - Chiku - who has one of the original PK models that he said he picked up for only $40:cool:! I would sure be up for that!

He has a spectacular collection of charcoal grills including a Weber Summit and a wide variety of vintage Weber kettles including some pretty rare colors.

I had tried to get a little feedback here about a similar but much smaller model. I believe Larry said that some of these stainless ones were actually pretty good grills. He doesn't hold their classic old-style cast aluminum ones that high. They look just like Broilmasters to me, but Larry says they were very uneven - the total opposite of Broilmaster.

These newer ones look decent, even if made overseas. That one looks reasonably cared for. The pictures aren't too clear, but the one I saw had very thick stainless rod grates. You could probably do a lot worse for $250 but only if you wanted a big stainless grill for yourself. I think the general market has largely forgotten the Ducane name, and I don't think used ones sell all that well - obviously making them a poor flip candidate.

Yeah, I don't want it, I just figured I'd point it out. It's propane, and for the last three years I've been happily running natural gas in the 2000. I hope I never have to go back to propane!

Those big stainless Ducane grills are really well made products. Everything is 304SS however the product is completely orphaned. Basically they are what the Summit should have been all along

There are also a lot of Silver B and Sidewinder Spirit in the $50 to $100 range popping up in my neighborhood recently. But always in black or SS.

Very few grills here Stefan. At least ones that I would consider rehab candidates. While it is still early up here, I would have expected more action than I am seeing.

Back