I will just leave this here

Rich- Those look like great examples of your efforts and doing it the right way.
You are the antithesis of Robert in Lowell. I'm amazed he's still around and selling on FBM.

Thanks for the comments, it's appreciated. I just wish I had more than an hour or less here or there to work on them.
Nothing I hate more than spending only 30-60 minutes working on a grill still have to spend another half hour cleaning myself up. :confused:

Right? I've still got 2 more complete grills to do, Im thinking maybe I just suck it up and get them all cleaned up as best I can in one whack instead of doing each one, then disassemble and do the refurbishing as needed to each. I've tried wearing gloves but it only protects until the glove gets torn and I don't notice it.

I completely dissasemble my grills before I start doing any cleaning. I try to be good about wearing gloves, but don't a lot of the time. When I am using caustic chemicals like bleach and grill cleaner, I try to be very good about wearing them. When scraping out grill boxes and stuff like that, I don't bother with gloves.

Well, the 2002 Silver B went to a friend a week ago, and this one stuck to my fingers.
Posted on C/L an hour before I read it, about 5 miles away, so I dropped everything and picked it up.
I think its a late 90s Genesis 3000, the original owner bought it in Leominster about 25 years ago.
He said it works well, even the side burner, with rust out where the cook box bolts to the frame (like where else?).
Wife says she likes the idea of the extra burner so it has a good chance of staying.

Thinking of putting my green Silver B lid on it. I know the complete lid will fit, but I might want to use its bolted end caps with the green panel. Do the holes line up?

Pix attached show the listing photos (2) and the rest as dismantled for transport in my 26 year old 850 Turbo wagon.

Attachments

• IMG-0111.JPG
    IMG-0111.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG-0110.JPG
    IMG-0110.JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG-0119 (Large).jpg
    IMG-0119 (Large).jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-0117 (Large).jpg
    IMG-0117 (Large).jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-0112 (Large).jpg
    IMG-0112 (Large).jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-0116 (Large).jpg
    IMG-0116 (Large).jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-0114 (Large).jpg
    IMG-0114 (Large).jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-0113 (Large).jpg
    IMG-0113 (Large).jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-0115 (Large).jpg
    IMG-0115 (Large).jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Well, the Silver B went to a friend a week ago, and this one stuck to my fingers.
Posted on C/L an hour before I read it, about 5 miles away, so I dropped everything and picked it up.
I think its a late 90s Genesis 3000, the original owner bought it in Leominster about 25 years ago.
He said it works well, even the side burner, with rust out where the cook box bolts to the frame (like where else?).
Wife says she likes the idea of the extra burner so it has a good chance of staying.

Thinking of putting my green Silver B lid on it. I know the complete lid will fit, but I might want to use its bolted end caps with the green panel. Do the holes line up? Hi Hank Yes they line up

Pix attached show the listing photos (2) and the rest as dismantled for transport in my 26 year old 850 Turbo wagon.

Well, the Silver B went to a friend a week ago, and this one stuck to my fingers.

Thinking of putting my green Silver B lid on it. I know the complete lid will fit, but I might want to use its bolted end caps with the green panel. Do the holes line up?

Nice grab, as far as I know the holes line up just fine. i moved around lids on different grills and end caps without any noticeable issue.

Only reason I ask is when I went to move panels between my Spirit 700 original lid to some Silver B endcaps, not only were the holes off but the panel dimensions as well. the lid was over an inch shallower on the 700, and perhaps also on the 900?

I think the Silver lids are shallower than the Genesis 1000-5000 lids are so I don't think the end caps are interchangeable. If I'm wrong, definitely post up on it.

Only reason I ask is when I went to move panels between my Spirit 700 original lid to some Silver B endcaps, not only were the holes off but the panel dimensions as well. the lid was over an inch shallower on the 700, and perhaps also on the 900?
hi Hank the endcaps have to be the square style with thermometer on the right. 2005 ish and onward have rounded endcaps and center thermometer and are not compatible with the older lids

Hank, if you're missing the knob for the sideburner you can still buy those new. The stem is shorter than the other knobs so you may even be able to cut one down to fit.

Does Snap-On and Weber have another "thing" going on between them?

I think you just make a Snap On decal and slap it on there!

I believe there was a legit redhead version where the Snap On logo was part of the porcelain like the Skyline and some Platinum grills. After that Snap On licensed their name to go on a cool looking but absolute piece of junk grill. The front looked like a Snap On tool chest. Ask me how I know 🤨.

I still have the logo and an idea how to make a Weber one. Just no time…

I think the Silver lids are shallower than the Genesis 1000-5000 lids are so I don't think the end caps are interchangeable. If I'm wrong, definitely post up on it.
@Steve Hoch I updated this with some pictures.

I am fairly sure the end caps and hoods are interchangeable from x000s and Genesis Silvers. There are slight differences on the handle mounts through the years

This end cap was from the Blue Genesis 3, circa 1990. I temporarily put on a handle from a 1998 Genesis 2000 Platinum. Note the end of the part holding the handle is open.

1659054532464.png

This end cap was from a 97ish Genesis 1000. note the slot in the end, yet most of the handle is covered. This happens to have an extra Silver B handle temporarily installed. My calendar year 2000 Silver B ( date code DU) has this style of end cap.

1659054655891.png

The last style is completely enclosed. I do not remember which grill this came from. I think this end cap came from a 2002 or newer Silver C, but I'm not sure.

1659054969085.png

Last edited:
I know the whole assembly is interchangeable, but I always thought the Silver lids were shorter from top to bottom. If you say it's all compatible, I believe you.

I know the whole assembly is interchangeable, but I always thought the Silver lids were shorter from top to bottom. If you say it's all compatible, I believe you.
I had to go measure to be sure, but I think lids with the gauge on the RH side end cap are the same general size and shape.

DU date code Silver B lid is 6 3/4 inches from the lip just above where a rotisserie would be to the top of the lid. This silver B looks like the one in the middle picture above with the handle with the slot in the side.

circa 1990 Genesis 3 Blue lid is 6 3/4 inches measured at the same spot. First pic above is this lid.

Last edited:

Back