I will just leave this here

I don't think he will, but I hope he does for all of our sakes! Somewhere in my graveyard of parts, I have a set of those "tall" 5 bars. The grill I got them on was also originally a 13 bar box.

LOL.
Yah, you can surely run the 13 bar grills on just 8 bars. But those are not even the normal bottom bars from a 13 bar set. They are for another model and likely had to be modified to fit.

I have a set of those flavorizer bars that I bought on clearance at Ace hardware years ago. I used them for a long time and never noticed a difference between those and the 13 bar set. Nice looking grill, some attempt at a restoration was made.

I am not a big green fan, but this one looks pretty cool.

Paint question for Genesis frames.

Should I use high heat for the entire frame? Or just the upper sections near the cookbox?

You only need high heat where the cook box touches the frame. You can use regular below there but I prefer to spend the extra three bucks worth of high heat spray and just do the whole frame with it. It looks better as all the same paint too.

Is there some reason other than the cost of paint that I’m missing?

Just curios what the experienced crew is doing.

So far I have only had to paint cook boxes and lid end caps, but I'm planning to start on the 1990 genesis 3 and thought I'd ask.

Just curios what the experienced crew is doing.

So far I have only had to paint cook boxes and lid end caps, but I'm planning to start on the 1990 genesis 3 and thought I'd ask.
Just from the standpoint of being inexperienced at it I would use the same paint throughout. Painting frames was the hardest thing to master in my opinion and you might want to keep it simple. Bruce is far more experienced than us at doing this so I wouldn't get too crazy.

Thyde: Try it and find out. I don't really know. I use the high heat where warranted because I don't want to have problems a year down the road. But, I have seen people use non-high heat paint on places that get quite hot with no adverse affects. I know Jon used "model paint" on at least one Weber lid badge and it has held up for a year or two now.
Just seems like they make high heat paint for a reason. So I go with it.

I'm just wondering if the frame would get hot enough to cause a problem. Meaning, the fire box certainly I use high heat, along with lid end caps. But the frame, while pretty hot, doesn't get quite as hot as the fire box. Just wondering. I don't flip, so for my personal grill I don't mind spending an extra couple bananas on high heat paint for the frame. For me, the cost is the effort to disassemble everything to get to that point. I'll be repainting my frame at some point because I have the beginnings of some rust on the crossmember so hopefully this summer I'll get around to rehabbing my own grill yet again. But that's ok. It is fun.

Back