I will just leave this here

This one upsets me more than it probably should. $900 for a shoddy flip job effort that’s worth maybe 1/3 of what he’s asking for it at best. Metal was never properly prepped before painting. Cook box and underside of lid should be spotless for that kind of money. Wheels and casters haven’t been touched. Back lip of the lid is still dirty! To top it off, the seller has the stones to call it a restoration and claim 20 hours of work in the full description. It’s shameful and embarrassing if you ask me. I just hope it’s not one of us.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ic...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Well, if he gets his asking price, more power to him. He has a hard price on it too. No "Make and Offer" and no bidding.
I have half a mind to watch it and see how long it takes for him to drop the price.

Well, if he gets his asking price, more power to him. He has a hard price on it too. No "Make and Offer" and no bidding.
I have half a mind to watch it and see how long it takes for him to drop the price.
Me, too. I obviously need to raise my prices if that thing moves for anything more than a couple hundred dollars.

I do think we need to try for higher prices in light of all costs going up (and to have any chance of making some kind of return on your labor). $900 is WAY OUT THERE for that grill, but a really sparkling classic Weber ought to be worth more than a couple hundred dollars. We are seeing that the parts for these (other than basic grates and burners) are slowly starting to become orphaned. With the Genesis 1-5 and x000 grills, we are beginning to move into antique restoration rather than just grill flipping:cool:.

I hear you Jon, but as we move into the "antique" market, my worry is that most buyers are not buying these things as display pieces and just want a well functioning good looking grill. I plan to price my grills about the same as last year and see how things go and take it from there. I can guarantee I won't be listing any Genesis 1000 grills for $900. I don't think I would even go for that much on a NIB one.

Yes, there are definitely limits and probably only a very small market for a perfect "antique" Genesis.

There is a seller in Terre Haute who has been trying to get $650 for a brand-new Silver B for a VERY long time. I don't see it now, so maybe he actually sold or just gave up. While you could argue that buying it for $650 makes more sense than paying over $900 for a new Genesis, I personally think the eye-appeal and show-off status of a regular black Silver isn't really there. It makes a perfect, practical choice for someone who wants a reliable, well-built cooking appliance, and it will serve them well. To me that's a $350 or maybe even $400 sale price.

I guess I have some thought that there might be buyers who will pay more for something that now looks unique, historical, and packs a little more "wow" when your company sees you cooking on it. Other than nut cases like me (and a very few others) I don't think gas grill collecting will ever catch on like kettle collecting has. I am aiming more for someone who will USE the classic grill but get a big kick out doing so knowing they have something you don't see every day. Sort of like tooling around on a Sunday afternoon in a 1950's classic car.

Yep, lots of different tastes and desires out there. I love the looks of a 1000 but like the practicality of the Silver B. With the deep box on the 1000, it gets my nod for my favorite gas grill.

I wonder how many buy these restored grills simply for decor, it looks great on their deck or patio next to their “retro” looking kettle, never or seldom actually used.

This one upsets me more than it probably should. $900 for a shoddy flip job effort that’s worth maybe 1/3 of what he’s asking for it at best. Metal was never properly prepped before painting. Cook box and underside of lid should be spotless for that kind of money. Wheels and casters haven’t been touched. Back lip of the lid is still dirty! To top it off, the seller has the stones to call it a restoration and claim 20 hours of work in the full description. It’s shameful and embarrassing if you ask me. I just hope it’s not one of us.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ic...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
I posted about this grill last fall when I saw it on CL. According to the CL ad, it's located in SE Mass. The wood looks nice. I would love to get $900 each for my refurbs.

I wonder how many buy these restored grills simply for decor, it looks great on their deck or patio next to their “retro” looking kettle, never or seldom actually used.
I recently did a grill exactly like this. Genesis 1000. Powder coated the entire frame. Cerakote for the shroud end caps and cook box. Mahogany woodwork with a beeswax finish. Brand new everything else wherever possible. The customer signed on for the project to put it on display in their outdoors themed room at their McMansion "camp" in the Adirondacks. By their own admission, it will never see the the light of day or be cooked upon. In the same room, they've got some other cool things like a full black bear mount standing on it's hind legs on a fallen log, an 8 foot wide x 24 foot tall topographical map of the lake and surrounding mountains covering a corner wall, and a gorgeously restored Old Town wooden canoe suspended from the vaulted ceiling that I couldn't stop drooling over. I was just happy to have my handiwork included and even happier for the nice payday that went along with it.

I recently did a grill exactly like this. Genesis 1000. Powder coated the entire frame. Cerakote for the shroud end caps and cook box. Mahogany woodwork with a beeswax finish. Brand new everything else wherever possible. The customer signed on for the project to put it on display in their outdoors themed room at their McMansion "camp" in the Adirondacks. By their own admission, it will never see the the light of day or be cooked upon. In the same room, they've got some other cool things like a full black bear mount standing on it's hind legs on a fallen log, an 8 foot wide x 24 foot tall topographical map of the lake and surrounding mountains covering a corner wall, and a gorgeously restored Old Town wooden canoe suspended from the vaulted ceiling that I couldn't stop drooling over. I was just happy to have my handiwork included and even happier for the nice payday that went along with it.
I pretty much did the same kind of a job on a Genesis 1000. New wood, powder coat, as many new parts as I could get. It's now proudly displayed in the back of my garage 😀

I wanna sneak in and cook a dozen 70% chuck cheese burgers on it. :devilish:

I pretty much did the same kind of a job on a Genesis 1000. New wood, powder coat, as many new parts as I could get. It's now proudly displayed in the back of my garage 😀
Don't ever go on vacation Steve. We know where you live and that showpiece is begging to be cooked on.

Back